Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Catskills overnight camps charging insane fees for daycamp
Previous  1  2

Mothers

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 2:51 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
How is it allowed. It’s basically keeping the camp as it is. Aren’t the camps three hours away from Brooklyn? Are the families staying in the bungalow colonies or in Brooklyn?

It’s only feasible for families within reasonable driving distance of the camp (I,e, in bungalow colonies or vacation homes in the vicinity).

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 2:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Trying to be dan l’kav zechus and having a very hard time 🤔
Overnight campuses like Munk, Romimu, Ohr Chedvah sent letters about how day camp is going to be mamash like overnight except the kids sleep at home after night activity and no camp in Shabbos.
And therefore they will cost 3k+ !!! (Bussing not included)
Do you really think even close to a majority of bungalow colony families are interested in their kids being gone from 8am-10pm? Want their kids being driven home on the dangerous mountain roads in the dark?
Come on- you unfortunately lost $ this season losing the overnight revenue so now you are going to turn around and dump the fee on me? No thanks. We figured it out since Purim, we will manage without daycamp if necessary.

Yes from the sound of the mothers here they want their kids out at any price and any risk

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 2:56 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
There is transportation for Romimu.

Great. I’m sure they’ll enforce sd on the buses,

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 3:56 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
How is it allowed. It’s basically keeping the camp as it is. Aren’t the camps three hours away from Brooklyn? Are the families staying in the bungalow colonies or in Brooklyn?

It's for those that are upstate, I feel really bad for those who live in Brooklyn, or not in the country in general, in the sense that they don't have the option to attend. I know my son thrives through participating in camp activities, and especially sports leagues that are very hard to duplicate in a bungalow camp unless it's a humongous camp/development, really such a sad situation in so many ways.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 6:25 pm
I am a bit confused now Romimu is opening as a sleep way camp? In the beginning of the week he sent the email he was having day camp till 11th grade.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 9:48 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I am a bit confused now Romimu is opening as a sleep way camp? In the beginning of the week he sent the email he was having day camp till 11th grade.

They're very smart, they got a permit to be a temporary residence so the boys can sleep there 3 nights a week, they also got a permit that allows for the older boys (maybe 15 plus?) to sleep in camp

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 10:32 pm
They're very smart, they got a permit to be a temporary residence so the boys can sleep there 3 nights a week, they also got a permit that allows for the older boys (maybe 15 plus?) to sleep in camp

So they need a place in the country to stay the other four nights?

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 11:46 pm
Romimu is having transportation on Monday morning to camp from Flatbush, five towns and monsey up to camp, then the boys go home Thursday night. This is some sort of temporary residence status...

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 11:58 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Romimu is having transportation on Monday morning to camp from Flatbush, five towns and monsey up to camp, then the boys go home Thursday night. This is some sort of temporary residence status...

And this is from what age?

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 12:03 am

15 and older are allowed to legally rent a bungalow. Many camps reset themselves up as bungalows and anyone 15 and older can rent a bungalow.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 11:04 pm
What happens if these camps get caught? Will they refund the parents the money for the remainder of the time?

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 11:13 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
What happens if these camps get caught? Will they refund the parents the money for the remainder of the time?

Caught running a day camp? That's allowed.
Caught having kids sleep there 3 nights a week? As a registered day care that is ok.
Caught renting out nearby bungalows to 15 year old? That's within the rules.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 11:17 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

sternberg is doing the same thing and they are charging an insane amount of 4200 a kid for 6 wks of about july 13 to august 20th
its basically bus from bklyn at 900 am on a monday and bus back from camp thursday evening
so they are charging me almost amount as full summer and only giving me 6 weeks minus the long weekends

anyon sending to sternberg at these ridiculous rates? so sad bec my daughter really wanted to go

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 11:21 pm
I heard one camp is renting a hotel and having the kids sleep at the hotel for the summer. So they go to camp from
Morning to night and sleep in a hotel at night. That way it is a day camp not a sleep away camp. All with in the law but not in the spirit of the law.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 11:23 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I heard one camp is renting a hotel and having the kids sleep at the hotel for the summer. So they go to camp from
Morning to night and sleep in a hotel at night. That way it is a day camp not a sleep away camp. All with in the law but not in the spirit of the law.

personally I think it's hilarious, Cuomo totally asked for it. Good on them with the way he was stringing us along

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 11:36 pm

Which camp?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 11:38 pm
The strange thing is that no one is concerned about health anymore it’s all about politics and antisemitism.

I agree that it’s very expensive and the camps are offering less. For some people this works anyway. Many are just going to skip camp this year.
A few weeks ago, parents thought there were no options at all. Many now have the attitude ‘take whatever I can get ‘.
It will be a different type of summer for everyone this year.

amother
White

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 11:52 pm

Sternberg was planning on doing this at one point but I don’t think they still are.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics