Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Above ground pool needs fence?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 11:40 am
I'd like an above ground pool. They are are fairly common in my area (New Jersey), but I'm looking into regulations a little, and I'm shocked to hear that any pool over 2 feet requires a permit.

And this threw me... any pool over 12 inches high requires a fence???
Does anyone actually put up a fence around a small kiddie pool?
Did I misunderstand something?

I want to do things right, I'm not looking to create any unsafe situation. Just a bit surprised at the stringency. Did I miss something?

smss

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 11:42 am
If you're leaving the water in you need a way to keep kids out. Kids can drown in even a few inches of water.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 11:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'd like an above ground pool. They are are fairly common in my area (New Jersey), but I'm looking into regulations a little, and I'm shocked to hear that any pool over 2 feet requires a permit.

I want to do things right, I'm not looking to create any unsafe situation. Just a bit surprised at the stringency. Did I miss something?

An above ground pool isn't a kiddie pool. Above 2 feet isn't a kiddie pool. Even a kiddie pool shouldn't be left filled up, kids can drown in a kiddie pool. One can never be too stringent when it comes to pool safety.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 11:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

For above ground pools, AIUI the pool itself may serve as the barrier. But check with your pool contractor.

And yes, you need a permit for any pool 2 feet or more deep.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 11:51 am
Blessing1 wrote:
An above ground pool isn't a kiddie pool. Above 2 feet isn't a kiddie pool. Even a kiddie pool shouldn't be left filled up, kids can drown in a kiddie pool. One can never be too stringent when it comes to pool safety.

I'm reading 12 inches.

It makes sense. But I've never seen a four foot fence around a small pool like that. I'll have to assume people empty their pools every night.
And even if my yard were fenced in, the fence would have to be around the pool specifically

lilies

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 11:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm reading 12 inches.

It makes sense. But I've never seen a four foot fence around a small pool like that. I'll have to assume people empty their pools every night.
And even if my yard were fenced in, the fence would have to be around the pool specifically

If you have kids, a fence around your yard does not deter entry to the pool.
You might have seen a four foot fence and not known it's for a 12" pool Smile

You can assume that people aren't safe, too. It doesn't change the need for a fence. A kid can be running and fall into a 12" pool quite easily. They can also decide to go for a quick swim, when you turn around for 10 seconds.

thanks

The above ground pool often comes with fencing around the perimeter.

amother
OP

amother [ Brown ] wrote:
For above ground pools, AIUI the pool itself may serve as the barrier. But check with your pool contractor.

And yes, you need a permit for any pool 2 feet or more deep.

Ha! Pool contractor? We're talking ebay here at majorly inflated prices.
But there is a provision for above ground pools with hard walls. I just don't think the Intex frame satisfies that. And seems like the walls would have to be fairly high.
I'm just not good with legalese, so not sure I understand it properly.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 12:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm reading 12 inches.

I never saw a fence around a 12 inch kiddie pool but I never left it filled either. Kids are done, it gets emptied.
I'd put a tall fence around an above ground pool because it's not so hard for kids to climb the walls. Pool safety isn't something to be taken lightly. We don't need the law to tell us to put a fence around a filled pool.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 12:08 pm
I don't know about above ground. But for an inground pool according to code in TR NJ a fence around your property is enough. That's why many houses here don't have gates around the actual pool but the property is gated in.
Ours was like that. I can't understand it though. The 1st thing we did when moving in was install a fence around the pool.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 2:42 pm
This is confusing since two feet is 12 inches and two feet of water is NOT a kiddie pool

As others have posted, kids can drown in a bathtub.

Also why would you leave water in a shallow pool. It would be a breeding ground for mosquitos and other insects. It would also be insanitary if you leave water out. There is a reason why pools that aren't emptied use chlorine and other disinfecting stuff to keep the water safe.

People dump water from a kiddie pool and then refill it the next time they use it. They would generally rinse off the pool before filling it again.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 2:46 pm
We once had a neighbor put up above ground pool with no fence.
All the neighbors put tremendous pressure to take it down.
It was scary and a huge risk for all of us.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 2:48 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
I don't know about above ground. But for an inground pool according to code in TR NJ a fence around your property is enough. That's why many houses here don't have gates around the actual pool but the property is gated in.
Ours was like that. I can't understand it though. The 1st thing we did when moving in was install a fence around the pool.

The gate around the property is to protect people who don't live in your household since you are creating what is called an "attractive nuisance" - e.g. something that creates temptation for a child and is dangerous. Therefore the government has an interest in protecting children.

While it would be good if the government also regulated safety for kids in the home, there would probably be a lot of protests from idiots for infringing on their "rights" to be stupid.

In terms of protection, there are now pool covers which can be walked on and which make a pool completely unusable and very safe for kids in your home. There are stories about kids managing to climb a fence or open a gate with tragic results.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 3:48 pm
Amarante wrote:
This is confusing since two feet is 12 inches and two feet of water is NOT a kiddie pool

As others have posted, kids can drown in a bathtub.

Also why would you leave water in a shallow pool. It would be a breeding ground for mosquitos and other insects. It would also be insanitary if you leave water out. There is a reason why pools that aren't emptied use chlorine and other disinfecting stuff to keep the water safe.

People dump water from a kiddie pool and then refill it the next time they use it. They would generally rinse off the pool before filling it again.

12 inches is 1 foot = needs a fence.
24 inches is 2 feet = needs a permit and a fence.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 3:58 pm
Why would you bother?

Permit laws are just the stupid government who make up arbitrary laws and if they bother you about them it is anti-semitism. How dare they impede on your rights and tell you what to do on your own property.

Regarding safety, fences don't keep people safe, only Hashem does. If he wants you to be safe you will and if not not. Putting up a fence shows a lack of emunah. Better than spending your time putting up the fence, spend the time saying Tehillim.

No, I am not being serious. Put up a fence and get a permit.

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 4:33 pm
an above ground pool is a major drowning risk, because it's really hard to get out (for a little child) once you're in...

So I suppose, even if it was not the law, halacha would mandate to have fence...

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 4:36 pm
Yes and its a very important rule

any small child could chas v shalom climb in R"L

you would then be liable as well

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 6:36 pm
I'd love to hear from someone who has an above ground pool.
What type of fence did you install?
Does anyone know what the exceptions are with an above ground pool? Like what materials would make it unnecessary to put a fence?
And what about a cover? Does that count for anything?

Of course a fence makes sense, I guess I'm really looking for practical applications.

But I wouldn't have dreamt a 2 foot pool would need a permit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics