Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Mental health counseling
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 12:58 pm
Hi,

Can anyone explain to me clearly how the training structure is for mental health counseling

My husband has a BA and masters in education
He wants to go back and get a degree in mental health counseling

When He finishes the 2 year course offered for mental health what title will that give him? What else will he need to be certified?

Thanks

cnc

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 1:30 pm
He will need to take a licensing exam and will be a LMHC.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 1:52 pm
What’s the training for lmsw

cnc

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 4:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What’s the training for lmsw

Two years - masters program
1200 hours field work and licensing exam

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 6:11 pm
He would get an "MHC" after his name if he passes the exam at the end of the course. For LMHC he would also need 3000 supervised counseling hours (in New York). Other states like NJ need 4500 hours but up to 1500 can be utilized from internship while during school... it's a little complicated but I assume you're in NY?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 6:13 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
He would get an "MHC" after his name if he passes the exam at the end of the course. For LMHC he would also need 3000 supervised counseling hours (in New York). Other states like NJ need 4500 hours but up to 1500 can be utilized from internship while during school... it's a little complicated but I assume you're in NY?

Yes I’m in ny

So what’s the difference between that and lcsw

Also what’s the easier schooling route?

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 7:43 pm
Not sure! Sorry. I went the MHC route cuz the schooling is more stimulating and more applicable towards actual counseling, and doesn't have all the emphasis on social systems and the like, which I wasn't really interested in. If I had to guess, social work school/licensing is easier than MHC, but that's just my educated guess. I'm also 10 years out of grad school so things may have changed since I was in school...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 7:46 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Not sure! Sorry. I went the MHC route cuz the schooling is more stimulating and more applicable towards actual counseling, and doesn't have all the emphasis on social systems and the like, which I wasn't really interested in. If I had to guess, social work school/licensing is easier than MHC, but that's just my educated guess. I'm also 10 years out of grad school so things may have changed since I was in school...

Thanks!!
I’m thinking of touro
Anyone have any other suggestions
(Money wise or if the school is easier since my husband will be doing this while he is working full time)

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 7:48 pm
I did MHC in Brooklyn College and loved it. Again, that was 10-12 years ago so much may have changed. I had many classmates who were working while they went through school. Keep in mind that city colleges are mostly older individuals who are supporting themselves so school is built with that in mind (and is also a boatload cheaper!!)

cnc

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 8:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes I’m in ny

So what’s the difference between that and lcsw

Also what’s the easier schooling route?

LCSW is another 3 years of clinical work under supervision after LMSW.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 8:04 pm
cnc wrote:
LCSW is another 3 years of clinical work under supervision after LMSW.

So just to clarify
Msw is 2 years then 3 yrs clinical work to get your lcsw

And lmhc has no clinical work supervision? Just 2 years in college then licensing test?

cnc

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 8:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So just to clarify
Msw is 2 years then 3 yrs clinical work to get your lcsw

And lmhc has no clinical work supervision? Just 2 years in college then licensing test?

MSW is 2 years of college and 1200 hours of fieldwork . LMSW is once you complete that and take the licensing exam.
Then if you want to open a private practice, you can take the clinical exam after an additional 3 years (2000 hours ) of clinical work to become an LCSW.

LMHC has hours/ fieldwork built into the schooling and is necessary to get the L. If I remember correctly, you can get a (temporary) permit if you don’t have the hours needed for licensure.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 8:44 pm
cnc wrote:
MSW is 2 years of college and 1200 hours of fieldwork . LMSW is once you complete that and take the licensing exam.
Then if you want to open a private practice, you can take the clinical exam after an additional 3 years (2000 hours ) of clinical work to become an LCSW.

LMHC has hours/ fieldwork built into the schooling and is necessary to get the L. If I remember correctly, you can get a (temporary) permit if you don’t have the hours needed for licensure.

Just to clarify, MSW (Masters of Social Work) is 2 year schooling after your BA, not 2 years of college total.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 9:05 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Just to clarify, MSW (Masters of Social Work) is 2 year schooling after your BA, not 2 years of college total.

Yes I wrote in op , he has his BA and a masters in different field

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 9:11 pm
What’s a lpc? What is the training for that?

cnc

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 9:12 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:

Correct.
Same for MHC.
These are both masters programs..

cnc

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 9:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What’s a lpc? What is the training for that?

https://www.humanservicesedu.o......html

I don’t know anyone that’s an LPC.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 9:22 pm
I hate to say this, because my daughter is an LCPC, and I value the approach of mental health counseling programs even more than social work, BUT

social work is more transportable across the country, and more flexible in job positions, and more opportunities for professional development courses.

LCPC is a relatively newer field and there are a lot of politics that go into these things, unfortunately.

Important: Do the research before committing.

This is not a well paid field, until/unless one is in private practice, not taking insurance.

advocate

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 9:23 pm
Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 9:24 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I hate to say this, because my daughter is an LCPC, and I value the approach of mental health counseling programs even more than social work, BUT

social work is more transportable across the country, and more flexible in job positions, and more opportunities for professional development courses.

LCPC is a relatively newer field and there are a lot of politics that go into these things, unfortunately.

Important: Do the research before committing.

This is not a well paid field, until/unless one is in private practice, not taking insurance.

Thank you, is this true with a lmhc degree too?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics