Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/o what’s do you consider...wine and takeout
1  2  Next

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 7:11 pm
I’m trying to make some sense here of when people tell someone earning 30k a month to stop buying wine and eating out, so that they can have more wiggle room.
I’m sure the wine stores and restaurants don’t only have customers making more than that soo....
Do you buy wine for shabbos and or takeout/ eat out?
If yes what approximately is your monthly income?

And do you think that you are indulging?

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 7:13 pm
30 k a month or did you mean a year?!

I'll take 30k a month any day

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 7:21 pm
I buy about $300 worth of wine a year , typically from kosherwine.com by the case. We go through 1 bottle every couple of weeks and we also buy grape juice.
Take out budget I would say roughly once a month.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 7:46 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
30 k a month or did you mean a year?!

I'll take 30k a month any day

Same Smile
We buy wine approx $15/week but not every single week.
Rarely have takeout (sometimes Dh will get for himself).
Everyone has to budget for themselves...

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 7:59 pm
We're not wine drinkers, mainly buy for sedarim.

Now takeout. We get pizza once per week. It's around $40 for 2 pies, fries and maybe 1 random extra like a calzone. I figure, we're 8 people including a bunch of teenage boys. Meals cost money. Yes there are cheaper meals, but even the cheapest meal would still cost something. The real cost is $40 less whatever a cheaper meal would cost. Is that a splurge?

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 8:08 pm
We never buy wine besides for pesach but not for budget reasons. We just dont drink and have a few bottles on hand that we received as gifts in case we have company who would like some.
Takeout is more like 1-2x a week at the moment.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 8:12 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
I’m trying to make some sense here of when people tell someone earning 30k a month to stop buying wine and eating out, so that they can have more wiggle room.
I’m sure the wine stores and restaurants don’t only have customers making more than that soo....

I didn’t say they should stop.
I said that’s not calling having no wiggle room.

No wiggle room means you have no choices in what your spending in, because you have necessities, and you can choose anything else.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 8:15 pm
My income is fairly comfortable, but considerably less than $30k/month. I get takeout maybe a few times a year, if that. I do consider it a luxury (which is not necessarily bad). Of course, we spend on some things that other people may consider low priority. If you value taking out or eating at restaurants, you need to look at your overall budget and spend within your means.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 8:36 pm
My DH spends about $200 on wine a year and we buy takeout once a month or once every two months. Our income is about $7k a month.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 8:41 pm
Our income is about $30,000 a month. We do buy takeout but it’s not like we go out to fancy restaurants all the time. Usually pizza once a week. I buy some takeout for Shabbos. Sometimes we buy Chinese or burgers on Sundays. I’m really not sure what we spend on wine.

amother
White

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 9:03 pm
Our income is about 11k net. Yes we buy wine and takeout. Almost never more than $20 a bottle. Takeout is about $20 - $30 or so once or twice a week. But money is tight..

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 10:03 pm
Not sure what we spend on wine....we buy a few cases at a time a few times a year, we
Usually have a nice amount of wine and liquor.
Takeout probably once every couple months. (Supper) DH probably buys lunch about once a week.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 10:05 pm
Our income is about 5k a month (4kids) and we never get takeout, we go once a year for anniversary to a cheaper milchig restaurant
In regards to wine, my husband doesn’t care about wine so we buy cheap wines ($4/5 a bottle) and also get from purim. This is for kiddush, so not every week.
I do believe that every person has a different place that they splurge on even when on a very tight budget.

twizzlers1

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 1:33 am
I'm very confused $30,000 a month is a ton of money and they should spend it however they like. BH people making a lot of money can help support the economy.
We make less than that and we buy a cheap bottle of wine for Shabbos And usually to take out once a week but we are on Israel so that is usually falafel where there is a pretty cheap hamburger store where you can get each item for 8 shekel, occasionally we order a salad from a store but that's also fairly cheap. I find it's a treat to get out once a week.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 9:09 am
Our income is 6-7k a month. (3 kids and expecting another).
We buy wine for shabbos. I have no idea how much we spend, DH buys it and its part of our food budget.
We never buy takeout unless it is a birthday. For a birthday we buy pizza.
We do buy frozen pizza and frozen fish sticks and falafel, so yes there are some convience foods but never take out for supper or shabbos. It's just not in our lifestyle. I never decided or cut it out, it just doesn't happen. If life is stressful or we're pressed for time we make a simpler shabbos or sandwhiches for supper.

It's interesting that these are the 2 things you brought up, I can think of hundreds of other "financial lifestyle markers".

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 9:14 am
doodlesmom wrote:

OP , a month? Thats a hell of a lot of money a year.
Did you mean per year?

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 9:16 am
We make about $20k a month. I buy takeout or eat in about 3-4 times a week between lunches and suppers. Total necessity. Wine- almost never.

Success10

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 9:19 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
OP , a month? Thats a hell of a lot of money a year.
Did you mean per year?

She meant per MONTH, it's on another thread. And she was saying she doesn't have any wiggle room with expenses.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 10:35 am
Success10 wrote:
She meant per MONTH, it's on another thread. And she was saying she doesn't have any wiggle room with expenses.

I am not that poster and we also make $30,000 a month. Maybe more. And I wouldn’t say no wiggle room, because there is. But I also don’t feel like I’m floating in cash. And I also don’t just buy takeout whenever I want because I don’t have limitless funds. I remember when we made $8000 and I felt that if we made it to $10000 that we’d be doing so well. And then I thought $15000 would be so much. Now we are at $30000 and it’s still not that much... expenses fo up and expectations rise...

tigerwife

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 11:02 am
I don’t make close to 30k a month but we still get take out about 5 times a month. Family size matters. Upthread someone mentioned spending $40 on a pizza dinner for her family. We never spend that much even when getting fleishigs because it’s usually for just my husband and I. My kids don’t like most restaurant food so it would be on a night that I served macaroni and fish sticks earlier.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics