Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Would you make a shidduch with a family that....
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 6:14 pm
Doesn't allow people to park in front of their house?

My nephew was red to a girl (not in bklyn) and my sister knows a neighbor on the girls block. My sister called the neighbor and was told that this family will tell people to move when they see people parking in front of their house. It's not a one time thing when they needed the spot. This is their mehalech. Seems weird. Otherwise, we heard nice things.

Stars

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 6:17 pm
That's weird. I'd try to find out more information.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 6:18 pm
Maybe try to find out what the reason behind it is. That would be important to me to see where it stems from.

liveandlove.ima

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 6:18 pm
In my opinion its just as weird to repeat "this" when asking info on a family....

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 6:20 pm
mocha wrote:
In my opinion its just as weird to repeat "this" when asking info on a family....
obviously it's a notable thing about them, otherwise it wouldn't be mentioned

little neshamala

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 6:20 pm
As long as the girl herself has beautiful midos, I couldnt care less what the family is like. Having said that, it's important to be extra on guard with a family that displays odd behavior/bad midos, to make sure the girl herself hasnt become like her family too.

But if after looking into her, and a thorough dating, she checks out and is a wonderful girl herself then terrific, lchayim.

ALSO....im not exactly getting what the problem is...are they telling people not to block the driveway? Or just park in front? Whatever, either way im more interested about the girl herself

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 6:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My nephew was red to a girl (not in bklyn) and my sister knows a neighbor on the girls block. My sister called the neighbor and was told that this family will tell people to move when they see people parking in front of their house. It's not a one time thing when they needed the spot. This is their mehalech. Seems weird. Otherwise, we heard nice things.

If otherwise you heard nice things I’d try to be DLKZ on this one interesting piece of info. Maybe they don’t want their mailbox blocked with a car cuz they’ll miss receiving that days mail.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 6:29 pm
Delete

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 7:14 pm
Its brooklyn and its very annoying to go home and not have a spot. I used to ask ppl to mkve their cars cuz they would make a 2 car spot into 1 and then my dh wouldn't have a spot in front.

So it's not weird. It could be she is putting her husband and herself or kids first.

Not weird. Of course move on with the shidduch

singleagain

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 7:16 pm
I thought that free parking was free parking. Yes you can ask someone to move their car, but they can decline and you can't do anything about the fact that they declined.

My real question is, what if someone tells this family no I'm not moving my car. How do they react to that.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 7:17 pm
Sounds selfish to me. I’d look into it.

healthy18

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 7:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My family lives on a block oot with no driveways. It always irked my parents when single boarders or guests from other neighbors would park in their spot, especially when they came back from a big grocery shopping, etc. I hear both sides-they can't really reserve it as their spot just because it is in front of their house, after all it is public property, yet it is frustrating to always have the same people parking in their spot when asked not too. (As a side not there is extra parking by the corner houses with lots of space, so it's not like their is nowhere else to park.) On the other hand they would never "always mention something" each time someone parked in their spot. Is that the only downside with her family? Or is this a deeper problem with how the parents are in general? Maybe they have little kids and it is hard to unload a van full of kids from further down the block. I think if the girl is a great girl, he should go for it regardless rather then the 1 flaw of the family.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 7:23 pm
This is such an odd thing to criticize! There are any number of sensible reasons they dont want people parking in front of their home.

It seems that the reason this stands out is because there is nothing else to complain about- and if this is the worst thing people can say about them, you have yourself a winner! Go for it!

Trust me, you'll love our daughter!

healthy18

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 7:25 pm
singleagain wrote:
I thought that free parking was free parking. Yes you can ask someone to move their car, but they can decline and you can't do anything about the fact that they declined.

My real question is, what if someone tells this family no I'm not moving my car. How do they react to that.

I second that!
And btw OP-in case your wondering if maybe it's my sister, I don't have any sisters, so wouldn't have been redt to my family

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 7:28 pm
Nobody owns the curb in front of their house. I had a neighbor like this. As much as I understand why she needed the space, the fact that she demanded it when it's not hers made me always think of her as selfish. I didn't know her well enough to know if she is a selfish person or just in this one instance, but it still was very weird to me that someone thinks they are entitled to a parking space in front of their house. (And notice that the family in question does not live in Bklyn.)

crust

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 7:29 pm
Ask. And ask more.

I once got such kind of info for someone.

They decided to move on with the shidduch because they heard that the boy was kind with good middos and if you can only look past those parents the boy is perfect.

When the parents came to look at the girl they grilled (harrased) the poor 18 year old for 3 hours including but not limited to making said girl walk up and down just to rule out a limp.

They said they have a responsibility to their child.

That was not enough.

They said that they need another interview before they let their precious offspring have a beshow.

The next interview, parents only, lasted 5 hours.

And then they said no.

Good riddance, I know.

But there are mean people on this world. Make sure you know what you are getting into.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 7:30 pm
Btw. I hate having to park down the block. And I complain every time, especially irks me when a guy with a driveway takes the spot in front of my house (we have no driveway) but I would never never say anything to anyone.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 7:40 pm
To me it would be a red flag in terms of how they deal with the world.

I think there is probably more "unneighborly" stuff these people probably do and this is just the easiest one to mention.

Obviously the children might not have the same kind of domineering attributes but you would also be stuck with the family and its dynamics for a long time.

I have had people who attempt to "claim" parking spots or make petty unreasonable demands of their neighbors and they were unpleasant in other more significant ways as well - their petty stuff was just the top of the iceberg.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 7:50 pm
Op wrote specifically that this is NOT in Brooklyn.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 7:50 pm
If you make the shidduch, will they let you park there?
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics