Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Discussion on the Daf - Shabbat
  Previous  1  2  3 8  9  10 12  13  14  Next

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 6:57 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
It may not be a punishment per se, but it does seem to be negative. Why should a positive act generate a negative result?

Also, from everything I see and hear, it seems like tumah was a very big deal In those days and something everyone went out of their way to avoid. That’s why they were gozer tumah d’rabbanan - generally as a deterrent. Wouldn’t the outcome of tumah discourage people from doing mitzvos, which were associated with it?

It's pretty likely that most people (other than kohanim) lived most of their lives in a state of tuma, and men only went to mikva if they were going to the mikdash.

malki2

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 10:40 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
It's pretty likely that most people (other than kohanim) lived most of their lives in a state of tuma, and men only went to mikva if they were going to the mikdash.

Maybe just the Amei Ha-aretz. The chaverim lived Al Taharat Hateruma and Al Taharat Hakodesh for the most part. Remember that the Non-kohanim were the ones who needed to separate the Teruma in the first place, so they could not be metamei it.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 10:53 am
malki2 wrote:
Maybe just the Amei Ha-aretz. The chaverim lived Al Taharat Hateruma and Al Taharat Hakodesh for the most part. Remember that the Non-kohanim were the ones who needed to separate the Teruma in the first place, so they could not be metamei it.

Separating teruma happens only a few times a year, depending on what you grow.
And many farmers called in someone knowledgeable to separate for them. II still think that most men were tamei most of the time. Chaverim are distinguished because their behavior was unusual.

malki2

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 1:08 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Separating teruma happens only a few times a year, depending on what you grow.
And many farmers called in someone knowledgeable to separate for them. II still think that most men were tamei most of the time. Chaverim are distinguished because their behavior was unusual.

How about separating Challah? That happened all the time.

Aylat

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 7:42 am
Shabbat 100 - another milestone bH!

אמר אביי אבור ברה"ר עמוקה עשרה ורחבה שמנה וזרק לתוכה מחצלת חייב חילקה במחצלת פטור
Something about this series of scenarios appeals to me: can the consequence of your action change the status of that action?

Shabbat 96
ת"ר מקושש זה צלפחד וכן הוא אומר (במדבר טו, לב) ויהיו בני ישראל במדבר וימצאו איש וגו' ולהלן הוא אומר (במדבר כז, ג) אבינו מת במדבר מה להלן צלפחד אף כאן צלפחד דברי ר' עקיבא אמר לו ר' יהודה בן בתירא עקיבא בין כך ובין כך אתה עתיד ליתן את הדין אם כדבריך התורה כיסתו ואתה מגלה אותו ואם לאו אתה מוציא לעז על אותו צדיק
I told this over at the Shabbat table this week - and added methinks relevant to our interpersonal (read: sibling) disputes. If you're wrong and they didn't do what you're accusing them of, then you shouldn't have said it. And if you're ’re right and they did do it, then you still should have stayed quiet.

Aylat

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 2:59 pm
Shabbat 102

שתי אמות בשוגג שתי אמות במזיד שתי אמות בשוגג
Is this meant to be completely theoretical in order to teach the principle? I have trouble imagining any reasonable scenario where in the course of a single action a person would realise and then forget.

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 1:59 am
I'll take Things I Never Thought I Had To Worry About for $1000, Alex!

Aylat

Post Sat, Jul 04 2020, 3:24 pm
Shabbat 119

Was so nice learning this davka on erev Shabbat Smile

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Jul 04 2020, 10:39 pm
Aylat wrote:
Shabbat 119

Was so nice learning this davka on erev Shabbat Smile

Agreed!!!

(It also made me feel much less guilty about my husband preparing some of the food for Shabbos in the kitchen, while I was learning.) LOL

malki2

Post Sat, Jul 04 2020, 11:09 pm
Wow. I thought this thread had shut down or something. I had at least expected to hear from some of you guys when they got up to the Gemara about the lice...

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Jul 04 2020, 11:24 pm
malki2 wrote:
Wow. I thought this thread had shut down or something. I had at least expected to hear from some of you guys when they got up to the Gemara about the lice...

Are you still keeping up with the Daf?

malki2

Post Sat, Jul 04 2020, 11:25 pm

Trying. You?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Jul 04 2020, 11:33 pm
malki2 wrote:
Trying. You?

Yes. It’s too hard to catch up if I fall too far behind. Not doing as well with Zichru, but trying to keep up with that, as well.

Hope everyone else is keeping up too. I miss this thread. Although I don’t often find time to post on it - since I don’t have the option of going to an actual Shiur, it gives me chizzuk to know that others are on the same page . . .

malki2

Post Sat, Jul 04 2020, 11:36 pm
Yes. It’s too hard to catch up if I fall too far behind. Not doing as well with Zichru, but trying to keep up with that, as well.

Hope everyone else is keeping up too. I miss this thread. Although I don’t often find time to post on it - since I don’t have the option of going to an actual Shiur, it gives me chizzuk to know that others are on the same page . . .

😊

Aylat

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 12:42 am

Yes, bH. I don’t always have time to post here, but I'll try. Not only is it nice to have that camaraderie, but y'all have often answered questions of mine or given me interesting insights.

Last edited by Aylat on Sun, Jul 05 2020, 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Aylat

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 12:43 am

Literally Wink

imorethanamother

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 3:27 am
malki2 wrote:

And I’m surprised no one had anything to say about the snake.

Aylat

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 3:52 am
imorethanamother wrote:

My thought about the snake is according to the Rambam in הקדמה לפרק חלק* - this must be meant to be interpreted metaphorically. The question is, what is the message. Naturalmom, are you still with us? You always have some chassidish Torah on the daf.

*http://www.daat.ac.il/daat/mahshevt/rambam/hakdamat-2.htm#3

malki2

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 4:34 am
imorethanamother wrote:

Luckily someone followed the Gemara’s advice and killed that snake before it could get where it was going.

But seriously, the snakes must have been different back then, closer relations to the נחש הקדמוני.

Aylat

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 12:32 pm
Shabbat 119 120

Running in and out the house saving food and clothes from the fire - I'm surprised סכנת נפשות isn't mentioned, it sounds very dangerous.
Page 9 of 14   Previous  1  2  3 8  9  10 12  13  14  Next Recent Topics