Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Mental health counseling
Previous  1  2

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 9:42 pm
I believe it’s true in the field of mental health. It takes years before someone can open a private practice and charge a nice amount per session.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 9:43 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I believe it’s true in the field of mental health. It takes years before someone can open a private practice and charge a nice amount per session.

I understand that; but are you saying that a lcsw can open his own practice faster than a lmhc?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 9:57 pm
Sorry I actually don’t know. Maybe some therapists can answer.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 10:10 pm
They are equivalent degrees - different states, different serving of alphabet soup!

https://www.nbcc.org/certification/licensure

LiLIsraeli

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 11:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I understand that; but are you saying that a lcsw can open his own practice faster than a lmhc?

No, LCSW and LMHC are on the same level of licensure, able to practice without supervision.

More agencies want someone with an LCSW than LMHC, and insurance companies will cover services by an LCSW and not LMHC, leading to more job opportunities and a larger potential client pool for LCSWs.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 8:20 am
LiLIsraeli wrote:
No, LCSW and LMHC are on the same level of licensure, able to practice without supervision.

More agencies want someone with an LCSW than LMHC, and insurance companies will cover services by an LCSW and not LMHC, leading to more job opportunities and a larger potential client pool for LCSWs.

Thank you!
So a lmhc can only work privately?
How do they build their clientele?

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 1:30 pm
LMHC and LPC are the same thing, each state has a different name for the same degree/license. I am an LPC in New Jersey but got my Mental Health Counseling degree from New York. It was an annoying process to switch states but it's doable. If you're doing it all in one state it should be straightforward.

LMHC needs post graduate supervised clinical hours, as does any degree including social work. 4500 hours total but 1500 can be from while he's in school.

I agree that social work degree is more easily transferrable to different states than a counseling degree.

Where I live, only one clinic doesn't accept LMHC/LPC. All other places I've worked the degree is treated basically the same.

The schooling for counseling is more interesting but social work degree might be more practical in general overall.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 1:33 pm
As far as privately, you can start a private practice as soon as you have your clinical license. Thats usually 2 years post graduate at the minimum but can take much longer.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 1:36 pm
Ty! Do you get paid while ‘doing your hours?”

cnc

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 1:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ty! Do you get paid while ‘doing your hours?”

1200 hours of fieldwork - no

Hours after licensure - yes

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 1:45 pm
Depends, I think. For LMHC you can get a paid internship I think, if the place you're interning in is interested in paying you lol. Very uncommon.

cnc

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 1:48 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Depends, I think. For LMHC you can get a paid internship I think, if the place you're interning in is interested in paying you lol. Very uncommon.

You can get one for MSW as well - but it’s basically impossible - like you said you need to find a place that is willing to pay you . Usually doesn’t happen .

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 1:52 pm
Sounds like lmhc is an easier more enjoyable journey
Sound right?

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 2:06 pm
Not sure if it's easier! The schooling was very enjoyable, interesting, and applicable to the field of counseling. Much more so than what I have heard of social work school but obviously I didn't do both! All in all, social work might be easier and more versatile.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics