Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Puppy - how people feel about it
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 3:49 pm
We are getting a puppy and I am extremely surprised about the backlash we are getting from some people. I never was brought up that there was anything wrong with having a dog but apparently many people feel it’s “non jewish”. Just curious to hear opinions from mainstream “just plain frum”
Thanks

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 3:50 pm
It’s disputable.
But then everything is disputable on imamother.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 3:56 pm
Exactly as golderod amother said. OP, you wont find one straight answer for this.
Some people are strongly apposed and others think its great Smile

Stars

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 3:58 pm
I'm so curious why a puppy is less kosher than a (non kosher) fish, a turtle, a (non kosher) bird or a bunny. If anyone has any insight on this I would like to hear.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:01 pm
Stars wrote:
I'm so curious why a puppy is less kosher than a (non kosher) fish, a turtle, a (non kosher) bird or a bunny. If anyone has any insight on this I would like to hear.

Op here. Exactly my question.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:05 pm
I live in a development in lkwd. There was a point when were we going to forster an extended family member and her dog. The rabbi of the shul wanted us to ok it with our neighbors beforehand. Seems some people have real issues with it... Rolling Eyes

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:06 pm
Stars wrote:

This has nothing to do with kosher.

I personally wouldn't want any of them. Ok, maybe a goldfish or 2.

And theres a big difference between a pet contained in a cage/box, and an animal wandering around the house between ppl. yuk!

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:08 pm
I can't remember the source but there is something about Jews shouldn't own dogs.
From a practical point of view a dog is much more work than fish, turtle etc which would also put people off. Daily walks, toilet training etc etc, it's another child almost rather than a pet.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:11 pm
There’s a Halacha of some sort that Squishy once mentioned about not getting a dog if it will cause fear or something along those lines to your neighbors .

My MIL has a dog and I do not visit her as long as the dog is there . Nothing to do with Jewish. I don’t feel comfortable around puppies or dogs or any animals. My DS has a farm with goats, sheep, chickens, bunnies etc and I never visit his farm or check it out for the same reason.
I think it’s a personal preference. Either you are a dog lover or animal lover or you don’t feel comfortable with any .

RuralIma

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:11 pm
There seems to be a large percentage of frum Jews who are afraid of dogs so they just become across the board taboo? I've known frum people who had dogs and some who vehemently hated dogs. We had 2 dogs, 1 we adopted older and the other we got as a puppy. Now we only have the younger one.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:12 pm
There are a lot of negative sources in the torah and talmud having to do with dogs.
Also, many people say that because of the dogs that were part of the gestapo and the nazi army etc and that negative connotation, many dont have dogs.

We have one. Best thing we ever added to our family. Such love she gives us and we love her right back.

Ora in town

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We are getting a puppy and I am extremely surprised about the backlash we are getting from some people. I never was brought up that there was anything wrong with having a dog but apparently many people feel it’s “non jewish”. Just curious to hear opinions from mainstream “just plain frum”
Thanks

In South Africa many frum jews have dogs, no-one feels it is non jewish...

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:13 pm
Ora in town wrote:
In South Africa many frum jews have dogs, no-one feels it is non jewish...
In israel, in the dati leumi communities as well. But you would never (or almost never) see one in the charedi world here. Maybe thats part of it.
Some communities are fine with this and some are completely against the idea.

enneamom

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:14 pm
There is a halacha about not keeping a dangerous dog. Personally I love adorable non-dangerous puppies 🐶 but probably this is where people get it from, and it's also cultural.

I think the topic has been discussed here before; try searching old threads.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks

Ok, this is what I know. When I was first becoming frum, I ate one Shabbos with someone who had a dog and she explained how he was technically “muksa” and how she couldn’t really stroke him on Shabbos. She mentioned that was partly why (together with possible eruvim issues) many frum people didn’t have pets. I had queried why she was the first frum person I had seen with a dog! She also explained that her Rav had said she could keep her dog even though it wasn’t ideal halachically because he was already part of her family before she became frum. Obviously we can’t just discard our family members! 😆
She said that if an already frum person went to that Rabbi and said “shall I get a dog” he would likely say no.

That said, I am JPF too and know other frum people with dogs. If it is right for your family, enjoy your new puppy if you get one and don’t worry about other people’s opinions.

RuralIma

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:19 pm
enneamom wrote:
There is a halacha about not keeping a dangerous dog. Personally I love adorable non-dangerous puppies 🐶 but probably this is where people get it from, and it's also cultural.

I think the topic has been discussed here before; try searching old threads.

What's the criteria for a dangerous dog? Is it by reputation, personality/history, or statistics?

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:21 pm
There's halachic issues with owning a dog apparently.

I don't know them - I grew up with a dog and 2 of my siblings have dogs. I love them!
There is backlash but who cares!

I just don't want one, it's like raising another toddler. It's too much work for me.

I keep telling DH we should dogsit though. Makes good money and we would have so much fun!

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:21 pm
Stars wrote:

Aside from fear, I think some people are opposed to the way dogs become more a part of the family and treated as a person than an animal in a cage would. So there would probably be a difference between a farmer having a dog outside for herding and a dog that sleeps in your room. I know DH really doesn’t like it, but I have no particular source.

enneamom

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:22 pm
RuralIma wrote:
What's the criteria for a dangerous dog? Is it by reputation, personality/history, or statistics?

I don't know. Maybe someone else has the source?

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks

I have one, and seeing more and more frum people with digs, they’re finally realizing the joys of a pet! Don’t worry about what people say and think!
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets