Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Basic yummy crumble recipe

2cents

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 3:26 pm
Very new to baking. On pesach I made an apple crumble that was delicious. The crumble recipe needs almond flour and potato starch. I'm not sure I can get those now. What's a basic yummy crumble for on top?

Ora in town

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 3:31 pm
2cents wrote:
Very new to baking. On pesach I made an apple crumble that was delicious. The crumble recipe needs almond flour and potato starch. I'm not sure I can get those now. What's a basic yummy crumble for on top?

I always take oats.

Works very well...

Suppose the almond flour and potato starch is the replacement for the oats on pessach...
Apples on bottom
oats mixed with sugar and cinnamon over them
A few bits of margarine on top.

(actually I don't use margarine, so I mix oats, sugar, cinnamon and oil)...

2cents

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 3:35 pm
Thank you! Any way to use flour instead of oats? I'm finding a lot of recipes on line that use nuts instead of oats and that won't work either

BTova

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 3:44 pm
2cents wrote:

Here's a foolproof delicious Apple crumble pie recipe. You don't even need a mixer for it.

Crumbs:
3 C. Flour
1 C. sugar
1 egg
1.25 Tsp. Vanilla
3/4 C. Oil
1 tsp. baking powder
drop cinnamon

Apple mixture:
3 apples grated by hand

Add
1/2 c. sugar
cinnamon
2 tbsp. flour
1 vanilla

Press half of the crumbs into pan. add apple mixture, sprinkle rest of the crumbs on top. Bake 1 hour 350.

Frumme

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 3:48 pm
2cents wrote:
Thank you! Any way to use flour instead of oats? I'm finding a lot of recipes on line that use nuts instead of oats and that won't work either

You could probably make a streusel crumb type topping like is done for pies.

1 cup brown sugar (3/4 cup if you like less sweet)
1 cup flour
1/2 cubed margarine or butter (oil might work too, but you might have to play with the ratio)
Pinch salt
Dash of cinnamon or other desired spices

Process in food processor until crumbly and resembles sand. A fork works too but you'll have to wait for the margarine or butter to soften a bit. Use as a topping for muffins, cakes, pies, etc.

bsy

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 3:58 pm
We do this crumble. Mix with a fork or in a ziplock bag

3 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1.5 cups sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla

you can use half on bottom and half on top. Sprinkle with vanilla sugar before baking-it smells amazing.
The crumbs freeze well of it's too much. They taste great as a challah topping.

Ora in town

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:32 pm
2cents wrote:

I don't know about flour...
I think if you use flour, you have to incorporate the sugar and the margarine...

Nuts or almonds work more or less like oats...

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:34 pm
2cents wrote:

Please share your pesach version! I'm always playing around with that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins