Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Report cards circa 2020 ;)
1  2  Next

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 7:51 pm
What will your kids show their kids?
What did this years report card look like?

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 7:52 pm
A big sticker down the whole third semester column that said “Kol Hakavod!” (My daughter is in first grade)

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 7:56 pm
We received proper reports BH. The kids had remote tests/testing/reports.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Jun 25 2020, 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 7:59 pm
My daughter (first grade) got a compliment that it was a pleasure to have her cooperation over the phone. Thanks for making me aware what a precious keepsake this report card is.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 8:04 pm
High school, we got letters instead of numbers. (I.e. an A instead of a 94, B+ instead of an 89)

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 8:14 pm
I read an article in one of the magazines that interviewed a museum curator. They are already now collecting memorabilia and videos to depict what this pandemic looked like. They mentioned masks, bought and handmade, pictures of Herald Square completely empty, hand sanitizer produced by King County Distillery, children's artwork of rainbows, etc. They asked people to get in touch if they have anything noteworthy.

silverlining3

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 8:38 pm
1st grade.
Small paragraph of how her personality, character etc make her beloved by all and her effort yielded much growth.
Found it to be short and to the point.

elisheva25

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 8:47 pm
❤️❤️report cards for all grades !!

queen esther

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 11:35 pm
No report cards at all for my kids!

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 11:48 pm
My kids got "pass" for all their grades. For my younger kids I was fine with it, but for my 7th grader who spent hours a day working and who turned in every assignment given to him for 3 months I was fuming. I realize there were many kids and parents overwhelmed with the whole system, and for them I'm fine if they would get a pass even if no work was completed. But some acknowledgement should be given to the kids who actually did what they were supposed to do Crying
The principal told me they didn't want to make anyone "feel bad". How sad that there is little value given to hard work nowadays.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 11:52 pm
My kids all got regular report cards.

wifeandmore

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 11:55 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
My kids got "pass" for all their grades. For my younger kids I was fine with it, but for my 7th grader who spent hours a day working and who turned in every assignment given to him for 3 months I was fuming. I realize there were many kids and parents overwhelmed with the whole system, and for them I'm fine if they would get a pass even if no work was completed. But some acknowledgement should be given to the kids who actually did what they were supposed to do Crying
The principal told me they didn't want to make anyone "feel bad". How sad that there is little value given to hard work nowadays.

That's why they should have done fail pass or an A 😕

freilich

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 11:56 pm

That is so very not right, in so many ways.

They should definitely acknowledge the kids that put in the effort.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 12:01 am

The principal should be reminded that the majority of the rioters and looters were raised and educated with that same mindset of not making them feel bad. It didn't really get them far in life, did it?

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 12:11 am
The school I work for printed a customized smaller report card for the final term. Teachers were instructed to develop an assessment system for every subject they taught remotely, but were allowed to mark P for pass whenever appropriate. We also had a reduced character growth section that nevertheless kept things like effort, participation, and responsibility, customized to each teacher's requests.

My first grade daughter got a regular report card, but some subjects were left blank.

Bruria

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 1:16 am
Report cards with grades, as usual, nothing different.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 1:23 am

My school did pass/fail/A/incomplete with A only allowed with administrative approval to the top couple kids. The rationale was that even the students who did really well did not complete the full curriculum and for data purposes if a kid has a A and then tests a grade below level it makes things complicated, especially for kids on IEPS or getting any type of resource services. Additionally, so many issues were out of the kids control and dependent on their parents that they didn’t feel it was fair to be so specific. We did write detailed comments about each kids participation.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 1:54 am
For those with regular report cards- did you have zoom classes?

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 1:57 am

(Not fair btw, dd was very conscientious about her school line. Not that it makes a difference in the long run....)

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 2:02 am
silverlining3 wrote:
1st grade.
Small paragraph of how her personality, character etc make her beloved by all and her effort yielded much growth.
Found it to be short and to the point.

That’s really beautiful and very sweet of the teacher!
I know these things are time consuming, but hate when the teachers write a generic- “it was a pleasure to have dash in class” or just “have a great summer”.
It’s so boosting for parents and student to read something the teacher appreciated of her character/class involvement etc. and so nice to go back years later to read Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics