Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Make shopping list

mra01385

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:36 pm
Looking for tips on how to make a shopping list in a short amount of time. It usually takes me about half hour to go through my fridge and cabinets and figure out everything I need. I also usually do it right before my husband goes shopping.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:38 pm
Have a magnetic pad on your fridge. You can buy it customize one from zazzle.com with a section for household items and grocery items ect. As soon as you finish something write it in immediately.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:39 pm
Download the AnyList App - it's simple and easy to use. Puts most items in to categories Dairy, Produce etc. so DH will have an organized list in the store.
You can add things you need at any time so it's not one frantic rush to figure it all out.

mra01385

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:45 pm
I use notepad on my iPhone. I try to put on things right when I’m finished but doesn’t always happen because I’m busy with something else and then I forget. Also, there are things Usually I add to the list That are almost finished.

Frumme

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:52 pm
Google Keep-- you can make a list and add "collaborators" that can see and edit the list in real time. You can use your phone or computer to add to the list.

Confused as to why it takes you 30 minutes to go through the fridge/pantry and make the list, unless you're meal planning simultaneously. If you explain your process better maybe we can give suggestions?

mra01385

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:55 pm
Well I go through the grocery fliers to see what’s on sale first. Then I think about what I want to make for shabbos and for the following week for supper. So I guess I do meal planning simultaneously. I can share live with iPhone Notepad as well. I also check my extra freezer that’s in separate room. I also edit my previous weeks list instead of making a new one. I also make a list for 2 groceries stores as I get the meat and some other sale items in a different grocery store the same day.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:59 pm
It takes time! I also meal plan and make my list together. In order to make it easier I jot down items I'm running low on as I'm cooking throughout the week. And I prepare my compete list the day before shopping otherwise it's too pressured.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 5:51 pm
mra01385 wrote:
Well I go through the grocery fliers to see what’s on sale first. Then I think about what I want to make for shabbos and for the following week for supper. So I guess I do meal planning simultaneously. I can share live with iPhone Notepad as well. I also check my extra freezer that’s in separate room. I also edit my previous weeks list instead of making a new one. I also make a list for 2 groceries stores as I get the meat and some other sale items in a different grocery store the same day.

Bolded may take more time than it's worth unless you buy mostly the same things every week and seldom stray, in which case do you even need a list?

Do yourself a favor:

Keep a running inventory list on a write on/wipe off board on your freezer door so you don't have to investigate. Fridge depends on how quickly contents change. If fast, not worth the bother.
Go old-fashioned and write a new list each week on a piece of paper, based on what's in your stores' sale flyers. Post a piece of paper on your fridge or some other convenient spot in your kitchen and jot down all week long things you think of that you're low on and will want to buy whether they're on sale or not. Then add the sale flyer items. Fold the paper in half , using one half for each store.

Unless you're shopping for a family of ten, each of whom has very specific medical dietary restrictions (not tastes) different from those of all the other family members, it shouldn't take you that long to make a weekly shopping list. Do you really need to go through your entire fridge, two freezers and a pantry every week?

Rachel Shira

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 5:53 pm
Yeah the key is to keep a running list, I do in in notes on my phone but anything works. If we use something up or if we’ll need more before the next shopping trip, it gets added to the list as we go. Before I go shopping I just do a quick review of the upcoming week and add anything else necessary.

mra01385

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 7:40 pm
To emerald, I do buy a lot of the same every week like fruits and vegetables, snacks for kids but then I add whatever I’m missing or need for the week. Also for meat and chicken I buy for 2 weeks as I have small family so I split it up.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 7:50 pm
I've had 2 different methods that work well.

1) Running list on my phone on google keep as we run out of stuff. Motzei Shabbos (or day/night of your choosing), I menu plan for the next week and look at the circulars and add stuff based on that.

2) Have a paper template with the usual things, and then add things in as needed/ on sale. I have it organized by section of the store.

silverlining3

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 8:49 pm
Usually under pressure it takes longer, your mind doesn't think straight. I'd suggest make your list the night before you go for your weekly order.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics