Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
For anyone who thinks covid is just as dangerous as the flu
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 3:47 pm
So far, the amount of ppl who died from covid is much greater than those who died from the flu- but that's WITH social distancing. Had we not had a lockdown, the numbers would have been catastrophically greater.
No, covid is not just as dangerous as the flu- it's a lot more.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 3:54 pm
Nobody thinks its the same as the flu.

But right now, in certain areas, the risks are about the same as the flu.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 3:57 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
So far, the amount of ppl who died from covid is much greater than those who died from the flu- but that's WITH social distancing. Had we not had a lockdown, the numbers would have been catastrophically greater.

Much much greater. People throw around numbers like 40,000 die yearly in US from flu - but that is all estimations.

There are only around 10,000 confirmed flu deaths yearly - ie. deaths where flu is listed as cause.

Contrast that with how many are linked to positive Covid cases.. And we're already ten times the amount WITH social distancing.

(I know there will be those who say that the Covid numbers are inflated, but that's just not true.)

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:00 pm
Let's put it this way - I hear of like, one or two deaths from the flu every few years.

I personally know several people who died from the coronavirus.

During the peak COVID19 season, I was dreading opening my computer and seeing the headlines every day, saying who passed away......

So in my personal experience, COVID19 has been far more deadly.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:01 pm
Also, there is a chance that Covid has lost some of its potency by now. (We don't know, but there does seem to be some evidence pointing in that direction).

If that ends up being the case, all the naysayers will turn around and say 'see, it's not so bad after all. All that panic and hysteria for nothing'.

When in reality, if catching it now is a much lower risk than it was before - that means that if we would have locked down earlier, quarantined all citizens entering from abroad and had a robust track and trace system in place - so many thousands of lives would have been saved.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:01 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Let's put it this way - I hear of like, one or two deaths from the flu every few years.

I personally know several people who died from the coronavirus.

During the peak COVID19 season, I was dreading opening my computer and seeing the headlines every day, saying who passed away......

So in my personal experience, COVID19 has been far more deadly.

I think we all share this experience.

Ora in town

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:38 pm
There are studies that seem to indicate that the Coronavirus is becoming more infectious.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:44 pm
Ora in town wrote:
There are studies that seem to indicate that the Coronavirus is becoming more infectious.

Haven't seen that. I have seen that some studies indicate it's becoming less deadly chasdei Hashem. But my op still stands.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:50 pm
allthingsblue wrote:

Please tell this to my husband. and his doctor who advises him, who both believe that it's just a cold or a flu, and nothing more. And if you're young, you have nothing to worry about. And masks and social distancing are stupid.....

banana123

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 5:00 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Haven't seen that. I have seen that some studies indicate it's becoming less deadly chasdei Hashem. But my op still stands.

As it mutates, it gains more spikes. The spikes are what allow it to attach to human cells.
Therefore, as it mutates and gains more spikes, it attaches more easily to human cells. Or, in other words, it becomes more infectious.

The potency has yet to be determined.

Ora in town

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 5:34 pm
allthingsblue wrote:

Here
https://www.scripps.edu/news-a......html

Ora in town

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 5:35 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Please tell this to my husband. and his doctor who advises him, who both believe that it's just a cold or a flu, and nothing more. And if you're young, you have nothing to worry about. And masks and social distancing are stupid.....

That's indeed a stupid, if not dangerous attitude...

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 9:57 pm
Ora in town wrote:
That's indeed a stupid, if not dangerous attitude...

Yes, I know....it's awful. And whenever there is a question on what to do and dh feels a precaution is unnecessary, he calls this doctor who just agrees with him

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 10:46 pm
A family member of mine did an analysis of the data, coming up with the following mortality rates of covid-19 as compared to the flu:

Under 44 and healthy - much safer than the flu (mortality rates are lower than the flu).

Ages 18-44 with diabetes and/or hypertension (high blood pressure) and healthy 45-64 year olds - same mortality rate as the flu.

Ages 65-74, and ages 45-64 with diabetes and/or hypertension (rough estimate) - 12X as dangerous as the flu.

Ages 75+. and ages 65-74 with diabetes and/or hypertension. (Estimated) - 30X as dangerous as the flu.

So according to this analysis, someone who is under 44 and healthy does not have to worry at all. Someone who is 45 to 64 and healthy, or someone who is 18-44 with diabetes and/or hypertension should take similar precautions as with the flu....

So lemon, it seems that your husband's doctor is correct...

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 11:23 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
A family member of mine did an analysis of the data, coming up with the following mortality rates of covid-19 as compared to the flu:

Under 44 and healthy - much safer than the flu (mortality rates are lower than the flu).

Ages 18-44 with diabetes and/or hypertension (high blood pressure) and healthy 45-64 year olds - same mortality rate as the flu.

Ages 65-74, and ages 45-64 with diabetes and/or hypertension (rough estimate) - 12X as dangerous as the flu.

Ages 75+. and ages 65-74 with diabetes and/or hypertension. (Estimated) - 30X as dangerous as the flu.

So according to this analysis, someone who is under 44 and healthy does not have to worry at all. Someone who is 45 to 64 and healthy, or someone who is 18-44 with diabetes and/or hypertension should take similar precautions as with the flu....

This is very interesting.

I think another relevant factor when comparing, is infectiousness. For instance, while it's true I don't personally know anyone who died of the flu, it's also never happened that, in any given flu season, a dozen of my neighbors all had the flu.

Maybe it doesn't matter because the end result is more sick people. Btw some of my neighbors are in higher risk categories, and none were severely ill bh. I think it's important for people not to panic and to know that most people who have covid do fine.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 11:28 pm
OP, do you think covid is more dangerous than the the flu for healthy people under 50?

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 1:55 am
Could everyone stop making assumptions?
Noone knows how this virus works.
There was plenty anxiety with the virus. No need to add more chaos to it. At this point, everyone is mostly out, and we need to carry on living..

ora_43

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 2:14 am
Mommyg8 wrote:

This sounds way off compared to the data I see coming from most countries. Flu deaths in this group are extremely rare. Do you know what their assumptions were, calculating this?

ETA: were they maybe comparing covid19 deaths in that age group to flu deaths among all age groups? That might explain it...

ora_43

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 2:21 am
This analysis shows an age-by-age comparison of flu and covid.

Covid is less dangerous than flu for very young children, but more dangerous for people over age 20, potentially up to 10 times deadlier for the 20-40 age group.

(The article itself reports a very high death rate, but that seems to be because they're going only on reported cases and reported deaths.)

Here's an even more detailed analysis, that also compares covid19 mortality to mortality from traffic accidents: Coronavirus deaths by age

Ora in town

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 3:28 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
(...)

He has to worry about killing the risk group, that's what he should worry about!!!
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics