Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Pregnancy Is Now An Increased Risk Factor

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 6:43 pm
The CDC has expanded the list of conditions that are associated with hospitalizations from COVID-19.

Newly added is pregnancy as well as some other conditions.

If you follow the link, you can evaluate the studies for yourself.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronaviru......html

Chronic kidney disease
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from solid organ transplant
Obesity (body mass index [BMI] of 30 or higher)
Serious heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies
Sickle cell disease
Type 2 diabetes mellitus
Asthma (moderate-to-severe)
Cerebrovascular disease (affects blood vessels and blood supply to the brain)
Cystic fibrosis
Hypertension or high blood pressure
Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from blood or bone marrow transplant, immune deficiencies, HIV, use of corticosteroids, or use of other immune weakening medicines
Neurologic conditions, such as dementia
Liver disease
Pregnancy
Pulmonary fibrosis (having damaged or scarred lung tissues)
Smoking
Thalassemia (a type of blood disorder)
Type 1 diabetes mellitus

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 7:46 pm
I read that the study is severely flawed because it doesn’t differentiate between pregnant woman who are admitted to the hospital for labor, vs for covid complications Not to mention that most hospitals test every woman in labor for covid. I personally am a pregnant woman who tested positive for covid and neither my OB nor my MFM were particularly concerned. BH my baby is doing well so far bli ayin harah.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 7:51 pm
Increased risk means that there is some statistical evidence that pregnant women who become infected are at a higher risk for complications related to COVID. Obviously not everyone with any of the risk factors is inevitably going to suffer a more severe case of Covid-19 just as the converse is true.

WhatFor

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 8:15 pm
I'm hoping pregnant women already behaved that way. I always thought that when pregnant, women are considered more susceptible to catching any disease because immunity can be compromised when your body is busy creating another human. When pregnant, there were times that I didn't attend social events just because I knew someone there had a cold.

realb

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 8:53 pm
I'm pregnant and my husband probably had corona before pesach (wasn't tested though)
And me and my children never had any symptoms although we were all exposed.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 10:36 pm
I had covid during pregnancy and just delivered at 36 weeks. Never had a preterm birth before. Who knows if it's related? I'm sure plenty of studies will come out over the next couple of years.

greentea

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 10:44 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I had covid during pregnancy and just delivered at 36 weeks. Never had a preterm birth before. Who knows if it's related? I'm sure plenty of studies will come out over the next couple of years.

Are you me? Also delivered at 36 weeks with 2 prior full term pregnancies. They did send my placenta for analysis and there was some pathology which small studies are now showing "may" be COVID related.

As a healthcare worker in an NYC ED exposure was probably inevitable since the virus was likely circulating before precautions were in place and before adequate PPE was secured.

Not that I believe this should cause women to panic, but certainly weigh the risks closely. We had several preterm births to COVID + patients where I work, as well as iatrogenic preterm births for women with severe disease with immediate maternal improvement within 24 hours of delivery. Again, this is still relatively anecdotal and further research can stratify just how great the risk is relative to other complications.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 11:22 pm
greentea wrote:
Are you me? Also delivered at 36 weeks with 2 prior full term pregnancies. They did send my placenta for analysis and there was some pathology which small studies are now showing "may" be COVID related.

As a healthcare worker in an NYC ED exposure was probably inevitable since the virus was likely circulating before precautions were in place and before adequate PPE was secured.

Not that I believe this should cause women to panic, but certainly weigh the risks closely. We had several preterm births to COVID + patients where I work, as well as iatrogenic preterm births for women with severe disease with immediate maternal improvement within 24 hours of delivery. Again, this is still relatively anecdotal and further research can stratify just how great the risk is relative to other complications.

Wow that's so interesting! Same for me, 2 previous full term pregnancies and this one at 36 weeks. They also had difficulty getting out my placenta. I'm also in the healthcare field and likely that's where I was exposed.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 12:24 am
What about clotting and cardiovascular issues postpartum for Covid survivors? Any data on that?

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 11:00 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
What about clotting and cardiovascular issues postpartum for Covid survivors? Any data on that?

From what I gleaned it didn't break down the symptoms.

It was merely to show there seemed to be an increased number of pregnant women who experience Covid-19 complications versus non-pregnant women with otherwise similar risk factors.

So it's a risk factor for having a more "serious" case of Covid-19. So far to my knowledge there hasn't been a study in which there is a statistical correlation between having an undiagnosed case of Covid-19 and having a complicated pregnancy but no symptoms of Covid - if that makes sense in terms of my explanation. Very Happy Remember that Covid-19 remains undiagnosed to some extent - especially so in the early months, so these studies can only attempt to make correlations between those who are diagnosed.

Of course this is such a new disease and it continues to be studied. Many medical researchers are fearful that even those who fully recover might have issues in the future. I have read that scans of people with relatively mild cases shown the "ground glass" effect in their lungs which might mean future serious lung problems in the future - who knows? Chickenpox presents as shingles for some people after years of being dormant. People who recovered from polio experienced debilitating issues many years after recovery for example.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics