Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Ugh, why does this keep happening to me (Challah dough)

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 12:10 pm
I started baking challah a few months ago. I bought a Bosch machine. At first, it went well. Then for some inexplicable reason even though I used the same excellent recipe my whole family swears by the dough started coming out crazy sticky. Impossible to worth with. I poured in extra flour and it was still soooo soooo sticky.I tried other recipe too: same story. I thought maybe I was overheating the machine ors\ somethings o I cleaned the bottom part thoroughly with toothpicks and mixed the dough on low. For two weeks the dough cam out fine. Now again this week, same recipe, same method, sooo soft and sticky. I cant understand?!

Please help me, balabustas! I'm about to give up!

amother
White

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 12:15 pm
I find that even though I live in a temperature controlled house, the weather greatly impacts my challah.
I don't know where you are but is it humid by you today?

Humid=sticky
Rain=doesn't rise
Cold= needs extra time in the oven.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 12:32 pm
I tend to make challos at the same time that I'm cooking chicken soup and other food for Shabbos on the stove. Could that be affecting my dough?

rmbg

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 12:37 pm
Funny I’ve been finding the same thing lately. I’m making the same recipe for years and in the past few months it’s been extra sticky. When I transfer from the Bosch to another bowl for rising I have to keep flouring my hands. Strange.

amother
Black

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 1:04 pm
Challah dough is sticky at first but once it grows nicely it should feel smooth and fluffy

Frumwithallergies

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 1:09 pm
Sorry I can't help. I do it by hand.
Could it be something with your machine?

I agree that despite following my recipe consistently, the weather plays a huge role.

watergirl

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 1:24 pm
It's the weather. Sometimes you just need more flour. I also use a bosch.

Although I will say this, I have been using Rebbitzen Kanievsky's recipe (the one in the book) for a few years now and it never needs more than one 5lb bag. The only change I made to the recipe is using only 4 tbsp of yeast because I use King Arthur bread flour and I discovered early on to use less yeast with that flour or even with any other high gluten flour.

Petra

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 1:26 pm
Use a bit more flour with the current climate. I use 4 cups of flour in my dough and I find that when the all aren't "heaping" cups, my dough is stickier and it's harder to get it to cooperate even if I add more flour when it's ready to roll out.

iyar

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 1:43 pm
It's probably humidity. To keep the challah fluffy but still be able to work with sticky dough- instead of adding flour, spray your hands and your work surface very lightly with oil spray or baking spray (that's the one that's a mixture of oil and flour).

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 1:59 pm
Let the dough cool off by letting it rest for 10 minutes. Should be less sticky.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 2:02 pm
I make my dough based on feel. I measure everything besides the flour, and I used as much flour as it needs until it feels good to me. I will just add flour until it feels the right consistency to you.

I also use a Bosch mixer, and I use anywhere between 6 and 7 lb of flour.

rgr

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 2:02 pm
Which brand of flour do you use?

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 2:24 pm
Are you using a jar of yeast? Same yeast? Is the dough rising?

Frumme

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 2:42 pm
Try weighing your ingredients for more consistent results. Only a patchke in the beginning when you're not used to it yet!

In addition, allow your dough to rest
like best bubby mentioned. Combinee the ingredients, let sit for 20 minutes, and then knead. If still sticky, wait 20 more minutes and see how it is then. You need to give the dough time to develop gluten.

Also, I find that doughs are generally stickier when made in mixers because we're less likely to add extra flour. It's not necessarily a bad thing that it's stickier. After the rise, it shouldn't be too sticky; if it is, oil your hands rather than add flour.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 2:42 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Let the dough cool off by letting it rest for 10 minutes. Should be less sticky.

This. When I knead my dough, it's usually still warm from the water I used to activate the yeast, which makes it stickier that usual. Letting it cool will usually help. Also weather, as others have said.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 2:46 pm
So interesting to use less yeast with bread flour. I use Rebbetzin Kanievsky's from the bio, which is more than 5 lb. (though I use less than the 3 kg recommended) but I use the same amount of yeast.
I knead by hand.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics