Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
S/O teaching - New York public schools

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 1:50 pm
I work as a seit & setts provider and love it. I also enjoy testing individual children to see if their eligible for services.

The salaries people wrote about getting by working for the public school sounds great and I'm willing to work with less flexibility if the pay is that much better. The thing is I really enjoy working one on one as aposed to teaching a whole class. I don't know much about the public school system - are there any jobs like that? Or I'd have to do a whole class?

icedcoffee

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 2:09 pm
I'm a classroom teacher so sorry I can't help more, but this link may have some good information to get started:
https://www.uft.org/teaching/s.....vices

I know in my high school classes I've had providers sit next to the student and work with them individually while sitting in the large classroom, and I've also had them pull students out individually (or in groups of 2-3) to work with them privately. I know one woman I worked with this year spent the first half of the day in my school and then spent the second half of the day in another school. I definitely don't think teaching a whole class is a thing. But also this isn't really my area so I'm not sure on specifics Smile

seeker

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 4:09 pm
There are small group SETSS providers but you don't usually get to pick and choose your job in the public schools. There are a lot of politics involved. You might sign on as a SETSS teacher and then they say they need you somewhere else and you get a classroom of kids with mixed severe disabilities and no support. Even in general ed, I know people who taught a certain grade level successfully for years and then with no warning they got switched to a totally different age that is not at all their expertise and it's just tough luck.

The salary and benefits in public schools are fantastic which is why people do it, but you definitely need to let go of ALL of the freedoms you have as a private provider.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries