Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
I just did something very sad

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 3:47 pm
D's just finished 8th grade. Back in September, the class was excited about making a yearbook. As the year went on, ds and 2 other kids did all the work. Normally, the 8th grade English teacher is the yearbook advisor, but this year, the school had a new teacher who wouldn't even give class time for yearbook work. The boys called and priced publishers by themselves, wrote articles, and pressured classmates to write articles. They also went to every store in the neighborhood to collect ads.
When schools were closed back in March, the boys continued working on the yearbook. Picture day was cancelled, so ds spent lots of time trying to get everyone to submit a decent picture of themselves. In the beginning, the boys were able to chat during their zoom sessions. Once teachers realized that nobody was paying attention, they disabled chat. Ds called everyone and sent emails to parents in English, Russian, and Hebrew, trying to get pictures. Eventually, most kids sent, but some didn't. The week before shavuos, the 2 other boys decided that the yearbook isn't worth the effort. I just went with ds to every store in the neighborhood to return ad money. They put so much work into the yearbook and have nothing to show for it.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 3:55 pm
That's so sad Hug

But the skills, responsibility, honesty (returning the money), and other lessons your son learned and gained during this process will always be his.

seeker

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 3:59 pm
That's so sad. I guess what they had already wasn't enough to go to print? Sad

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
D's just finished 8th grade. Back in September, the class was excited about making a yearbook. As the year went on, ds and 2 other kids did all the work. Normally, the 8th grade English teacher is the yearbook advisor, but this year, the school had a new teacher who wouldn't even give class time for yearbook work. The boys called and priced publishers by themselves, wrote articles, and pressured classmates to write articles. They also went to every store in the neighborhood to collect ads.
When schools were closed back in March, the boys continued working on the yearbook. Picture day was cancelled, so ds spent lots of time trying to get everyone to submit a decent picture of themselves. In the beginning, the boys were able to chat during their zoom sessions. Once teachers realized that nobody was paying attention, they disabled chat. Ds called everyone and sent emails to parents in English, Russian, and Hebrew, trying to get pictures. Eventually, most kids sent, but some didn't. The week before shavuos, the 2 other boys decided that the yearbook isn't worth the effort. I just went with ds to every store in the neighborhood to return ad money. They put so much work into the yearbook and have nothing to show for it.

That is so sad Sad.

Are you able to print a personal yearbook just for him? Get together what he already has collected over the months and create one out of it?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:05 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
That is so sad Sad.

Are you able to print a personal yearbook just for him? Get together what he already has collected over the months and create one out of it?

That's a cool idea. Can you do a shutterfly book for him, or something similar?

And you can share the link with other boys, and whoever wants can order it for themselves.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:16 pm
seeker wrote:
That's so sad. I guess what they had already wasn't enough to go to print? Sad

Not all the boys gave in pictures. Ds emailed the principal and asked for staff pictures. The principal said that he can't get pictures of everyone when school is closed.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:20 pm
Chayalle wrote:
That's a cool idea. Can you do a shutterfly book for him, or something similar?

And you can share the link with other boys, and whoever wants can order it for themselves.

We have everything online already, and all 3 boys who worked on the yearbook have access to it. Ds doesn't care anymore. One store owner told him to keep the money he gave for his ad, so ds is thrilled.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We have everything online already, and all 3 boys who worked on the yearbook have access to it. Ds doesn't care anymore. One store owner told him to keep the money he gave for his ad, so ds is thrilled.

I still think that printing it for him would show your son something. He may feel right now he doesn't care, but it would still give him a twinge (or more) of satisfaction seeing his hard work in print. And the fact that you went out of your way to do it for him, will also mean something.

If he won't feel this now, he definitely will later.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:59 pm
I suggested shutterfly and he liked the idea. Thanks.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 5:01 pm
Maybe make a cute " graduation" video using pictures your son already has and send it to his classmates and teachers. Use music and funny graphics, make a joke about zoom classes, and online "yearbook". Maybe ask some teachers to send in a short video as well.

My 8th grader DD also worked extra hard on their yearbook due to COVID, but her school was very supportive. A lot of plans got canceled this year, unfortunately.

seeker

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 5:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not all the boys gave in pictures. Ds emailed the principal and asked for staff pictures. The principal said that he can't get pictures of everyone when school is closed.

Ugh that feels so lame that the principal can't ask the staff to send in a picture of themselves. Most of the pics they can probably just use from last year, how much new staff do they have? And everyone else could text it straight to you if they prefer. Sheesh, people.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children