Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Puppy - how people feel about it
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 5:43 pm
I love dogs. All dogs. But for me the choice is a dog in my life or dh in my life. I've chosen dh. So far.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 6:04 pm
I wish there were a way to regularly interact with a dog without having to have a dog in the home, so that one family member could have the dog while the rest do not.

Cheiny

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 6:30 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Thanks. I was wondering why I got hugged (dislikes?)

I use the hug button as a real hug

BH Yom Yom

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 7:10 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
I wish there were a way to regularly interact with a dog without having to have a dog in the home, so that one family member could have the dog while the rest do not.

Many rescue shelters would love volunteers to come play with the dogs and take care of them, go on walks, etc. That is a good option for situations where one member of the family wants a pet and the rest do not.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 7:28 pm
Why does a pet need to be a long term commitment? Animals are in this world to benefit humans. If someone can benefit from having a dog at a certain stage of life , lets say the kids really want it or they need it for security, what could be wrong with having a dog for a year or two and then passing him onto someone else? People first.

BH Yom Yom

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 8:48 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Why does a pet need to be a long term commitment? Animals are in this world to benefit humans. If someone can benefit from having a dog at a certain stage of life , lets say the kids really want it or they need it for security, what could be wrong with having a dog for a year or two and then passing him onto someone else? People first.

Animals are living beings. They are not objects to be passed along as hand-me-downs when the novelty wears off. If a person is unwilling to commit to caring for the pet long-term, it’s better that they not adopt. Short-term ways that a person can “have” a pet without the commitment could be pet-sitting, fostering, or volunteering.

Aside from that, people who get a pet on a whim, keep it for a bit, and then decide they don’t want it may be unlikely to exert much effort into ensuring that the “someone else” they pass the pet along to is equipped (financially as well as emotionally and physically) to take care of the pet, or even that they are non-abusive. I volunteer in animal rescue and have witnessed horrible situations that no animal should be put into, because the prior owners couldn’t be bothered to ensure that the subsequent owners were safe for the pet. Many small pets in particular (cats, bunnies, small dogs) are at risk of being used as bait in dog-fighting rings. Look up “tragedy of ‘free to good home.’”

See the following example - no time to post more now but feel free to PM me for additional cases:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/a.....82264

Adopting a pet means being committed to taking care of that pet and keeping the pet safe. ALWAYS. Animals do not have a voice. They are dependent on their owners. It is up to pet owners to be respectful of their safety, responsible for their care, and vigilant in ensuring that whoever assumes subsequent responsibility for them is kind, equipped, and trustworthy.

As an aside, being shifted around from home to home can result in increased negative behaviors, aggression, fearfulness, etc., making the pet less likely to be adopted again since people don’t want to undo negative behaviors.

missmuffetsmum

Post Sat, Jun 27 2020, 7:45 am
How do I feel? Super jealous Wink

moonstone

Post Sat, Jun 27 2020, 3:24 pm
BH Yom Yom wrote:
Animals are living beings. They are not objects to be passed along as hand-me-downs when the novelty wears off. If a person is unwilling to commit to caring for the pet long-term, it’s better that they not adopt. Short-term ways that a person can “have” a pet without the commitment could be pet-sitting, fostering, or volunteering.

Aside from that, people who get a pet on a whim, keep it for a bit, and then decide they don’t want it may be unlikely to exert much effort into ensuring that the “someone else” they pass the pet along to is equipped (financially as well as emotionally and physically) to take care of the pet, or even that they are non-abusive. I volunteer in animal rescue and have witnessed horrible situations that no animal should be put into, because the prior owners couldn’t be bothered to ensure that the subsequent owners were safe for the pet. Many small pets in particular (cats, bunnies, small dogs) are at risk of being used as bait in dog-fighting rings. Look up “tragedy of ‘free to good home.’”

See the following example - no time to post more now but feel free to PM me for additional cases:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/a.....82264

Adopting a pet means being committed to taking care of that pet and keeping the pet safe. ALWAYS. Animals do not have a voice. They are dependent on their owners. It is up to pet owners to be respectful of their safety, responsible for their care, and vigilant in ensuring that whoever assumes subsequent responsibility for them is kind, equipped, and trustworthy.

As an aside, being shifted around from home to home can result in increased negative behaviors, aggression, fearfulness, etc., making the pet less likely to be adopted again since people don’t want to undo negative behaviors.

Thank you, you said it better than I could. Adopting a pet knowing it'll only be for a short time is cruel and abusive. This isn't a stuffed animal, it's a living being with feelings that is going to be horribly sad, confused, and fearful when taken away from the family it knows and loves. The cavalier attitude of the poster BH Yom Yom was responding to makes me hope they never adopt a pet.

aliavi

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 12:05 am
notshanarishona wrote:

Sounds like what you have in mind is medication or therapy not a living creature

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 12:11 am
In my house I prefer that anything living and breathing should be human (don’t have plants either).
I’m perfectly ok though if my neighbor owns a puppy or even a tiger for that matter. It’s a free country!

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 12:22 am
I’m personally not a pet person, but in MO communities it’s completely acceptable to have a dog.

I’ve seen a lot of posters lately mentioning that they don’t live in safe neighborhoods and I know that some people get a dog partially for extra security. So perhaps that could be a consideration.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 1:12 am
notshanarishona wrote:

Because it's not ethical to ship your dog off to a shelter because it's no longer a cute puppy or convenient or YOU have 'moved on to another stage in your life'. Dogs form a bond with their owners and where they live, it's not a game of pass the parcel.

And I'm saying this as someone who's not even keen on dogs. Be a mentsch.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets