Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Sisters of bride chasunah wear - not gowns????

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 4:30 pm
Asking for a friend who's not chassidish but does not want gowns. Wants tea-length (Cocktail?) and not the fitted style most wedding gowns are these days.

For sisters from 11-19 & 3 young veibelach, so needs styles for those age ranges.

Does a gemach or rental for this exist in the chassidish community? For a reasonable price?
Prefers in Lakewood but will travel to Monsey & Williamsburg.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 8:40 pm
BUMP

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 2:08 pm
Nobody?

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 2:11 pm
Maybe because it’s a lousy look. People are different heights and dresses end at different points on the leg and people weae sifferent stockings and shoes and it looks awful in pictures.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 2:16 pm
Lord and Taylor has a beautiful tea length navy dress on sale for about $150. If I recall correctly, the brand was Eliza J.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 2:19 pm
I have a beautiful one that I’d like to sell. I’m in Lakewood. Let me know if you’re interested.

watergirl

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 2:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Asking for a friend who's not chassidish but does not want gowns. Wants tea-length (Cocktail?) and not the fitted style most wedding gowns are these days.

For sisters from 11-19 & 3 young veibelach, so needs styles for those age ranges.

Does a gemach or rental for this exist in the chassidish community? For a reasonable price?

I don't really understand your question and I'm guessing others also don't, considering you bumped it a few times. This is your friend you are asking for, who is trying to find something for her sisters to wear? I am so confused.

Ok, the kallah(?) wants tea length, looser fitting dresses for the close family(?) to wear to the wedding in place of traditional gowns. What does being chassidish have to do with anything? You are only willing to go to a chassidish are to find a dress to wear? Or something like that?

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 2:34 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Lord and Taylor has a beautiful tea length navy dress on sale for about $150. If I recall correctly, the brand was Eliza J.

Was gonna say, look at department stores. If you search online, you can filter for length, sleeves, neckline, etc. As well as occasion. And with a good sale (Macy's has been having coupon online sales almost non stop) it will be comparable or possibly cheaper than rental/gmach prices.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 2:39 pm
Quote:
What does being chassidish have to do with anything? You are only willing to go to a chassidish are to find a dress to wear? Or something like that?
I was just assuming that this type of wear is more likely to be worn in Chassidish circles.

I know one of our local simcha gemachs could also have dressy dresses. Just wondering what else is out there.

ChassidishMommy

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 2:46 pm
You could try Euro Design in Monsey.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 3:09 pm
Ehrenfelds g'mach in Boro Park has a separate sister-of-bride place. They have all lengths, but they also shorten gowns to whatever length customer wants.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 3:14 pm
Probably not what they're looking for, but maybe could work for some of the kids. Tunza tulle make shorter dresses as well.

Blessing1

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 3:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Quote:
What does being chassidish have to do with anything? You are only willing to go to a chassidish are to find a dress to wear? Or something like that?
I was just assuming that this type of wear is more likely to be worn in Chassidish circles.

I know one of our local simcha gemachs could also have dressy dresses. Just wondering what else is out there.

Chassidish wear gowns. Rebbish a real Frum usually wear tea length. But they take their dresses from regular rentals and have it shortened. Most gowns can be shortened to tea length.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 5:50 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Chassidish wear gowns. Rebbish a real Frum usually wear tea length. But they take their dresses from regular rentals and have it shortened. Most gowns can be shortened to tea length.

How do you shorten a gown to tea length without cutting it? Can you cut a dress you rent? I would never think to do that as it is rented and not yours to distroy, but I live in a completely different community with a very different set of rules.

tigerwife

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 5:53 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
How do you shorten a gown to tea length without cutting it? Can you cut a dress you rent? I would never think to do that as it is rented and not yours to distroy, but I live in a completely different community with a very different set of rules.

Most rentals tailor and hem to their client’s needs. Women come in all heights and will usually need alterations for a non-custom gown.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 5:59 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Most rentals tailor and hem to their client’s needs. Women come in all heights and will usually need alterations for a non-custom gown.

Yes, but the height difference you can typically make into smaller or larger hem. You can have a 4", even 6" hem. 18" is much harder and with cause the fabric to drag and pull.

lasagna

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 6:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Liylah.com has nice cocktail dresses to rent and I think they will ship.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sat, Jun 27 2020, 10:28 pm
I have a size 4 new with tags designer long elegant dress I’m looking to sell.
Email me at anonamiss252@gmail.com if you’re interested in seeing a photo.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics