Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
“what are some status items my teenage girl should bring to
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 12:04 am
Also what nosh?

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 12:25 am
I think I was the kid who didn't have but didn't realize. Another question... What is "cute linen"? I am assuming that is not also got my son. Can sometime post links for linen ideas, rugs, and nosh box containers?

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 7:45 am
Please?

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 7:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
First time dd 12yrs attending skeepaway camp.
Please fill me in... want her to fit in well- socially

TIA

I think she should bring a friend.

That would be the best "item" that would keep her from being lonely if the other children are not friendly with her and tend to ostracize her, because she might be different.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 8:11 am
Yes, friends is the best.... But u was asking on specifics of items listed her. Mat, nosh box, linen etc. I know it is not necessary, but can someone please pray links.

sky

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 8:20 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I know this is an old post....I am scrambling to get my son and daughter ready for camp. I keep seeing this "nosh box" idea. What size? I was thinking 30 quarts but now am wondering if that is to small. Do the boys also take?

For sure Boys take box of nosh. Pkg of soup cups. And pkg of Gatorade.

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 8:28 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I agree. I didn't see any chairs at drop off or visiting day. There were no rugs. The amount of nosh sent was seriously disgusting. Management had to send the parents a letter saying no more nosh because it's attracting critters.

That's what I was expecting when someone said "A lot of nosh"...

Will not the anti-nosh faction of the mothers be up in arms against that?

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 8:33 am
ruchelbuckle wrote:
Great! Since you are clearly an expert in raising adolescents today, why don’t you step out from behind amother, go to OPs house, and teach her daughter “proper values.” The truth is, I just bought my son Tiro pants for sports at camp. I guess he (nor I) doesn’t really have proper values. Maybe could you come over here as well? Maybe we could organize a group class?

Never mind that he gets up on time during his summer vacation to go to shul, helps me around the house, and takes his little siblings to the park so I can rest. Oh, and he learns with a 3rd grade boy whose parents are divorced and father lives far away. You’re right. I should not “fargen” him these stupid Tiro pants, because wanting to fit in with your peers is a huge aveira. Hopefully he will learn that you need to fast on 3 consecutive Mondays and Thursdays for even dreaming of wanting to fit in. It’s very clear that he is lacking “proper values” and you’ll do a good job of reinforcing them.

Amother Teal— please go find someone else to bully.

It's funny that adidas is making such a comeback... Even with their slippers... There was time when adidas slippers were a huge no-go!!!!

That said, I think that comfortable sports pants are a good thing for boys in camp... but I don't think it has to be this specific brand (they all contain a bit much synthetics for my taste... or those special breathable synthetics?)

princessleah

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 9:06 am
I am just Surprised
At this thread.
I grew up OOT so I would have most likely been rejected by the whole lot of you anyway.
I think the best thing my parents did for me was send me to camp in Canada. My sister went to camp one summer in NY and was miserable.

One summer the “it” item was Champion sweatshirts. The bunk picture featured each girl in a rainbow of different colored sweatshirts. They cost $60 each!! And that picture looks ridiculous.

For those of you who were tortured in camp and want to prevent that experience for your children, I hear you.

For those of you who are raising the torturers...

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 9:11 am
princessleah wrote:
I am just Surprised
At this thread.
I grew up OOT so I would have most likely been rejected by the whole lot of you anyway.
I think the best thing my parents did for me was send me to camp in Canada. My sister went to camp one summer in NY and was miserable.

One summer the “it” item was Champion sweatshirts. The bunk picture featured each girl in a rainbow of different colored sweatshirts. They cost $60 each!! And that picture looks ridiculous.

For those of you who were tortured in camp and want to prevent that experience for your children, I hear you.

For those of you who are raising the torturers...

Thank you.
Because many of those might not even be aware of it. In their view, their children are just popular, leader types, "with it"...

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 9:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Im the op. FYI- I went to many different kinds of camps many moons ago from ages 11-21, tubby to Steinberg and e/t in between.

I’m not here to debate conspicuous consumption or keeping up with Klien’s.

I’m simply asking fir practical suggestions for a child that needs some trendier items in order to get a foot in the door, socially.

I would never spend 200$ on any clothing for this age child but if a butter sweatshirt helps her present better, it worth it... especially since I just found one fir her at 26$.

I am not one to purchase trendy clothing or items however this is a specific case, for this child, and she’s not aware enough and I’m over the hill to know what’s trending.

Thank you to all the mothers who responded with suggestions and kindly.

Where'd you find the butter sweatshirt? My DD wants one and I can't seem to find!

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 9:37 am
I am still not sure what said "nosh box" looks like.... Link please? And cute linen?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:10 am
We got a big clear container maybe 20 qt from Walmart for $6 for nosh. I got linen at bingo and closeout connection

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:12 am
https://www.target.com/p/steri.....aw.ds

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:25 am
Thank you!

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:25 am
I work in a camp for many years as well as having a house full of children so here’s my humble opinion.
Nothing will make your child popular or fit in as much as her being confident and nice to other girls. Mothers I’m begging you to work on helping your children be happy healthy good people and to be nice to others. And this can only happen if they see you being that way. There are girls in camp that have the nicest clothing and the biggest nosh box but are always complaining and never satisfied and ruin the spirit of their whole bunk. Everybody in camp sees that and can’t stand them! Yes they may be friendly with them to get them to share their nosh but the girls like girls who are fun happy and nice! As staff seeing this we may not be that quick in letting spoiled bratty kids come back to camp next summer.
I guess this is really a lesson for life not just camp.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 11:09 am
Cute linen? Something like these just in a smaller bed size

https://smile.amazon.com/Beddi.....us-20

https://www.wayfair.com/bed-ba......html

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 2:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
First time dd 12yrs attending skeepaway camp.
Please fill me in... want her to fit in well- socially

TIA

Status items? Ugh

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 9:24 pm
I gathered from some responses that OP's daughter is going to Maarava. From my experience with my DDs going there, they never took tutus, colored toenail polish, or camp chairs. No plastic drawers either, but yes foldable fabric bins and some stackable plastic bins. In past years many girls flew and there was not room to shlep large extraneous stuff. This year will probably be different, but still. Yes to Adidas sneakers and slides. DDs say Maarava has less social pressure than other camps.

Hope she has a wonderful time!
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children