Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Bleach not working. What am I doing wrong?

applesbananas

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 7:39 pm
I have tons of kids white socks and baby undershirts that can use a good bleaching. My machine has a spot for it next to where id pour in the detergent... I presprayed everything but none of the stains budged. What am I doing wrong? Thank you in advance!

zaq

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 9:27 pm
1. Bleach doesn't remove dirt. Wash first, let the load agitate with detergent a few mins before adding bleach.
2. Know your fabric and stains. Hot water sets protein stains, so those have to be washed first in cool water. Grease, otoh, needs the hottest water possible. If a blend of both, like ice cream, wash cold first and then hot.
3. There's such a thing as permadirt. Bleach can't make old things look new and won't help if the dirt has really gotten into the fibers. Scrubbing helps sometimes but again, only if the dirt is mostly on the surface, not bound into the fibers.
4. Prewashes need time to work. Ignore the instructions that say "just spray and wash." No. Spray, wait at least a few hours to give the product time to work and then wash.
5. Bleach changes the color but doesn't remove the matter. Unless you use an enzyme presoak that digests the milk, blood, spitup, what have you that's in the fabric, bleach will remove the color but the stain will still be there. Time, heat and exposure to oxygen will reverese the bleachingin action and bring the stain back. These are called "closet stains" and can be re-bleached but will come back over and over if the fabric lies around.
6. Some stains, like black marks from rubbing against tarnished metal require professional products not available to the home laundry.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 9:30 pm
https://housekeeping.wonderhow.....2473/

applesbananas

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 9:33 pm
Whoa. thanks so much for the info! Soo now! Which category to stains on babyd white undershirts fall under?
You know what's odd- I once had a cleaning lady bleach a load of kitchen towels and there was no splotching at all but they came out like 2 shades lighter than they went in..

Miri1

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 9:37 pm
Do you have a top loader or a front loader?

applesbananas

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 9:40 pm
Miri1 wrote:
Do you have a top loader or a front loader?

Front

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 9:42 pm
Try RIT Color Remover first. Use it on garments that are (were) completely white/ivory and follow directions on the box. It's best to do the stovetop method.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....mover

-----

If all else fails, as a last resort, for all white, all cottonn items that you are willing to risk with bleach, prepare a large basin of very cold water, add some bleach and mix to evenly distribute. About a gallon of water and 1/4 cup bleach.
Add the white garment (do not overstuff the basin, allow room so the item is not bunched up) and allow to soak for 10 minutes. You can mix it every few minutes with the length of a cleaning toothbrush if you feel it needs it. Sometimes it may need 15 minutes but that long can sometimes weaken the fabric fibers, so keep that in mind.
It has worked for me when I was desperate and willing to risk or toss.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Jun 14 2021, 10:38 am; edited 3 times in total

applesbananas

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 9:48 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If there are all white, all cotton, items that you are willing to risk with bleach, prepare a large basin of very cold water, add some bleach and mix to evenly distribute. About a gallon of water and 1/4 cup bleach.
Add the white garment (do not overstuff the basin, allow room so the item is not bunched up) and allow to soak for 10 minutes. You can mix it every few minutes with the length of a cleaning toothbrush if you feel it needs it. Sometimes it may need 15 minutes but that long can sometimes weaken the fabric fibers, so keep that in mind.
It has worked for me when I was desperate and willing to risk or toss.

Not emotionally attached at all but would love to do this to a lil leggs ribbed set. Its stained and if it works id use it in professional pictures later this season. If it doesn't work- well I wouldn't have been able to use it stained anyway!

Miri1

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:33 am
applesbananas wrote:
Front

My front loader has a bleach compartment but I haven't figured out how to pause the load for a soak, which is what will whiten the clothing.

As someone wrote above, you will probably have to soak it in a basin.

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 8:14 am
baby stains are usually protein unless you know otherwise. Try an enzyme presoak.

challahchallah

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:14 am
zaq wrote:
baby stains are usually protein unless you know otherwise. Try an enzyme presoak.

Second this. And bleach can turn protein stains yellow, so it’s not a good option.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars