Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Doona vent
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:15 pm
I BH just had my fourth baby. and I DID NOT buy a Doona now that I needed a new infant car seat for this new baby.

I'm just getting so frustrated by all the comments I'm getting. I live in lakewood, where you MUST have a Doona. I loved my maxi cosi that I had with my 3 other babies.

After weighing the one pro against all the cons, I did not buy the Doona and don't regret it for a minute.

The problem is that everyone feels the need to remark to me 'you didnt' buy the doona?? you'll regret it for the rest of baby's first year. what do you mean its not something you feel you needed? What?? it was the best think I ever did! can't believe you didn't get it. and on and on.

I get so upset! it wasn't even really a monetary decision (though I def save myself a few bucks). Just because EVERYONE has something-does not mean its the be all and end all!!

one of my friends even told me 'well, I couldn't either afford it but I worked it out. you make it work because you can't live without it'.

It just makes me so uncomfortable especially being that I'm not the most self-confident person.

End of vent...

ima22

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:19 pm
Be confident in your decision! It is definitely not one of those decisions that should cause regret or anxiety. It's a car seat/stroller. As long as you have something safe to transport your baby, that is all that matters. The rest is just the details. Don't sweat the small stuff.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:21 pm
Oh my!!
Bh that I don't live in Lakewood!!
I'm due soon and was also debating a about getting the doona. I decided to just stick with the (OMG how nerdy!!!) Snap n go!!
If anyone has a problem with it, tough luck!

Blessing1

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:23 pm
Omg! Are you me?? I didn't get a doona either, for me the no basket and position of the carseat was a big turnoff. I'm really enjoying my snap n go. The comments I get.... My MIL can't get to terms with it that I don't have one and that I turned down her offer to get me a doona.
We had a family shabbaton and everyone was making fun of me that I'm lugging a truck with me....
When has a doona become such a must that that if one doesn't have a doona they're bound to get mocked??
I'm scratching my head at the women that get a doona instead of a stroller and the babies are in a carseat all day. And the amount of doona's in Brooklyn makes no sense. They're walking everywhere.

Last edited by Blessing1 on Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:27 pm; edited 3 times in total

momlife

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:24 pm
And I’m one of those who loves it! (But I have a few friends who did not get and would never comment on that...)

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:26 pm
Mazel tov!
You do you. I live in Brooklyn. A doona doesn't work for my lifestyle now. It's more important for me to have storage under my carseat than the doona features.
You are an experienced mother. Have confidence! No one gets to tell you whether to breastfeed or bottle feed. No one gets to tell you which company carseat you need to get.

We should start a campaign slogan, like the "Fed is best" pushback .
"Secure is sure"? "Strapped in for the win"?

(And I can't believe people are bothering you about this. "You'll regret it?!?" I'm sorry you are dealing with this.)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:27 pm
momlife wrote:
And I’m one of those who loves it! (But I have a few friends who did not get and would never comment on that...)

I'm not saying I wouldn't' love it if I had gotten it. Just that when comparing, it just didn't make sense for me. It's just so frustrating that you are considered the biggest 'nerd' if you do not have one and every practically turns and stares when you walk by with your Graco/maxi cosi/Nuna etc.

Blessing1

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:28 pm
momlife wrote:

This thread isn't about liking it or not.
It's about being made fun of and getting comments because you don't have a doona. How sad.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:29 pm
I loved the doona but it was the best choice for me because I mostly used the doona in and out of the car and not so much for walking places. So the no basket.... didnt bother me.

momlife

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm not saying I wouldn't' love it if I had gotten it. Just that when comparing, it just didn't make sense for me. It's just so frustrating that you are considered the biggest 'nerd' if you do not have one and every practically turns and stares when you walk by with your Graco/maxi cosi/Nuna etc.

I wouldn’t have even thought of it as a nerdy thing (I’m from Lakewood and pretty with it)
Whatever’s practical for you needs to work for you and not for anyone else.

momlife

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:30 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
I loved the doona but it was the best choice for me because I mostly used the doona in and out of the car and not so much for walking places. So the no basket.... didnt bother me.

Same here.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:33 pm
Yes!! I'm a new mother and all my friends in Lakewood/Monsey have one. I want to hang out with them now that I have time but theres a small feeling inside me that knows they are going to think something (even if they don't actaully judge or comment because they're awesome). Where I live barely anyone has one and no one cares! When I go to Lakewood I feel like people feel so bad for me lol. (For that and because my car sounds like a truck and is old).

Blessing1

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Omg the stares!! Every time I walk into a store I get stared down. Especially because a chassidish women with a snap n go is apparently an unusual sight.

ShishKabob

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:34 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
This thread isn't about liking it or not.
It's about being made fun of and getting comments because you don't have a doona. How sad.
I don't think so.
So many ppl LOVE the Doona, that they can't believe that there's someone out there that doesn't share the feeling. That's what I think it is.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:35 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
I don't think so.
So many ppl LOVE the Doona, that they can't believe that there's someone out there that doesn't share the feeling. That's what I think it is.

Don't agree but I could be wrong. It's more like it's so expected that someone buys it for you when you have a (first) baby that if you don't have one it's like oy...

Blessing1

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:36 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
I don't think so.

That's fine. But commenting and mocking people that don't have a doona is in no way OK. Keep your comments to yourself. How is it ok to make fun at someone with a snap n go that she's "shlepping around a truck??"
It's not a necessity in life and everyone can live without it.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:38 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Yes!! I'm a new mother and all my friends in Lakewood/Monsey have one. I want to hang out with them now that I have time but theres a small feeling inside me that knows they are going to think something (even if they don't actaully judge or comment because they're awesome). Where I live barely anyone has one and no one cares! When I go to Lakewood I feel like people feel so bad for me lol. (For that and because my car sounds like a truck and is old).

It's ok I don't need hugs. I am very happy with my life and where it's heading BH. Honestly if I never had to step foot into places where people judge like this again I'd be content - I'd rather my friends meet me here!

pause

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:38 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
I don't think so.

Right, like everyone loooooooved the Bugaboo Bee 3 years ago, and the Bugaboo Chameleon 8 years ago. And everyone loved the Skip Hop diaper bag 5 years ago. And everyone loooooooooooooved curly sheitels because they're so feminine, and now everyone looooooooooves straight sheitels because they're so much easier to take care of. Uh huh.

giselle

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:41 pm
You have annoying friends/neighbors.

Interestingly, a friend of mine was just telling me all the things she doesn’t like about her doona. But I know that’s not the point.

Blessing1

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:42 pm
pause wrote:
Right, like everyone loooooooved the Bugaboo Bee 3 years ago, and the Bugaboo Chameleon 8 years ago. And everyone loved the Skip Hop diaper bag 5 years ago. And everyone loooooooooooooved curly sheitels because they're so feminine, and now everyone looooooooooves straight sheitels because they're so much easier to take care of. Uh huh.

I'm still using my skip hop diaper bag from 8 years ago.... Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics