Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
“Seminary girl halacha”
Previous  1  2

liveandlove.ima

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 8:48 am
silverlining3 wrote:
If I remember correctly. You do not have to bend over when answering amen yehei shmei rabba. A relative's teacher said, a woman probably just then bent over to pick up something from the floor and that how the 'halacha' was passed on. Ha Although I never learnt about it, I always did it cuz I saw everyone doing so. But atleast the girls now are being taught its not halacha.

I'm pretty sure this stems from the women that were sitting and when Amen Yehei Shmei Rabba was said, they slightly picked themselves up, like not fully. that may appear as bent over...

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 8:54 am
Raisin wrote:
What a sexist term. Not impressed with that Rav. I would not go to someone who speaks like with a shaylah, thats for sure.

Everything has a source, whether or not it is based in halacha.

What are you trying to point out with this? clearly some sources are untrue based on things some woman did by chance or watever. you are not required to do things that are not halacha or mesorah.
like a good story I've heard many times of a little girl questioning her mom why when she cooks the fish she will cut both ends her mom: I don't know, that's how my mom does it. so she went to the grandmother, same response. so the little girl went to great-grandmother to ask the question. and she laughed saying: I had a small pot, the fish would not fit, so I cut the both ends. end of story

gold2

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 9:09 am
Iymnok wrote:
"A potato kugel baked in a fleishig oven after chicken makes you fleishigs"
Inaccurate. You can eat it even with dairy.

Yes but better not to eat it with dairy at exactly the same time.

Frumme

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 9:14 am
Covering your eyes when lighting on Yom Tov. I grew up not doing it, but when I got older and more involved with Chabad, I saw that ladies were doing it. It doesn't make sense since if you're Ashkenazi, the reason you cover your eyes is to "not see" that you lit the candles before saying the Bracha (for the record, sephardim say the Bracha and then light). There's a difference in opinion about when exactly you "take on Shabbos," the lighting of the candles or saying the Bracha. But on Yom Tov, it's perfectly permissible to light candles from a pre-existing flame, so there's no need to cover your eyes (unless you'd like to, of course). I wonder why we still make the Bracha after lighting on YT though.

Also again not me and nothing personal about people who have gone to a specific BT seminary in Crown Heights-- but made up "halachos" about pesach drive me crazy. It's one thing if something is a family custom... If, however, you're a BT and learning how to make pesach, you shouldn't be told things like a) bottled water isn't kosher l'pesach because it was "processed" in a factory, or b) you must peel vegetables or you're basically eating chametz, etc etc. They get away with it by saying, "oh this is the proper Chabad way and otherwise people won't feel comfortable eating at your house on pesach," even though it's a custom for many people to not eat outside of the house at all on pesach. Basically, let them know what is halacha and what is custom. If they choose to keep customs, that is one thing, but don't start off by saying it's "halacha."

I remember one clear instance when I was mentioning a pesach recipe at a shabbos table. There was another couple there and when I mentioned "honey," the wife turned to her husband and asked, "oh, honey is kosher for pesach?" Can't Believe It

Angolama wrote:
If you daven in shul, you are supposed to wait in place after you finish shemona esrei and take 3 steps back, until the chazan is up to kedusha, and then take 3 steps forward and answer kedusha. That is where the "bouncing" comes from. FWIW

Right, it's a harmless custom (and honestly after a long shemona esrei, sometimes it feels nice to do a quick calf stretch LOL ).

silverlining3

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 9:22 am
Frumme wrote:
Covering your eyes when lighting on Yom Tov. I grew up not doing it, but when I got older and more involved with Chabad, I saw that ladies were doing it. It doesn't make sense since if you're Ashkenazi, the reason you cover your eyes is to "not see" that you lit the candles before saying the Bracha (for the record, sephardim say the Bracha and then light). There's a difference in opinion about when exactly you "take on Shabbos," the lighting of the candles or saying the Bracha. But on Yom Tov, it's perfectly permissible to light candles from a pre-existing flame, so there's no need to cover your eyes (unless you'd like to, of course). I wonder why we still make the Bracha after lighting on YT though.

Also again not me and nothing personal about people who have gone to a specific BT seminary in Crown Heights-- but made up "halachos" about pesach drive me crazy. It's one thing if something is a family custom... If, however, you're a BT and learning how to make pesach, you shouldn't be told things like a) bottled water isn't kosher l'pesach because it was "processed" in a factory, or b) you must peel vegetables or you're basically eating chametz, etc etc. They get away with it by saying, "oh this is the proper Chabad way and otherwise people won't feel comfortable eating at your house on pesach," even though it's a custom for many people to not eat outside of the house at all on pesach. Basically, let them know what is halacha and what is custom. If they choose to keep customs, that is one thing, but don't start off by saying it's "halacha."

I remember one clear instance when I was mentioning a pesach recipe at a shabbos table. There was another couple there and when I mentioned "honey," the wife turned to her husband and asked, "oh, honey is kosher for pesach?" Can't Believe It

Right, it's a harmless custom (and honestly after a long shemona esrei, sometimes it feels nice to do a quick calf stretch LOL ).

On yom tov we say the bracha while lighting.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 9:28 am
Officially I strike the match, say the bracha, and then light, without covering my eyes. In practice, especially if it has been a rushed erev Yom Tov, habit often takes over and I light the same way as I do for Shabbos. I remember learning that while it is preferable to say the bracha before lighting on Yom Tov, either way is halachically valid.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 9:35 am
Not eating food that was in the bathroom. You’re not supposed to eat in the actual bathroom, but if food was in it then you’re allowed to.

1ofbillions

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 9:36 am
Hand motioning and nu-nu-ing after washing. If you need someone to bring out the salt or whatever, it is better to say it than to engage in confusing motioning, and you don’t have to wash your hands again. Talk that isn’t directly related to washing or the challah should not be spoken, though.

Ironically, I learned this in seminary. So there!

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 9:51 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Not eating food that was in the bathroom. You’re not supposed to eat in the actual bathroom, but if food was in it then you’re allowed to.

That was in Mishpacha's halacha column last week.

octopus

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 9:55 am
gold2 wrote:
Yes but better not to eat it with dairy at exactly the same time.

correct. There is a l'chatchila and b'dieved in halacha.

Frumme

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:04 am
Elfrida wrote:
Officially I strike the match, say the bracha, and then light, without covering my eyes. In practice, especially if it has been a rushed erev Yom Tov, habit often takes over and I light the same way as I do for Shabbos. I remember learning that while it is preferable to say the bracha before lighting on Yom Tov, either way is halachically valid.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks Elfrida!

(Now I just need to remember that when RH comes around in 3 months Very Happy )

aliavi

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:04 am
Well...I’m a bouncer. I picked it up from other girls and now I know why. I wonder who learned it from me!

BH Yom Yom

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:48 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
What are you trying to point out with this? clearly some sources are untrue based on things some woman did by chance or watever. you are not required to do things that are not halacha or mesorah.
like a good story I've heard many times of a little girl questioning her mom why when she cooks the fish she will cut both ends her mom: I don't know, that's how my mom does it. so she went to the grandmother, same response. so the little girl went to great-grandmother to ask the question. and she laughed saying: I had a small pot, the fish would not fit, so I cut the both ends. end of story

This is what I was thinking, except the version I heard involved the women of the family always cutting a roast in half (because the great grandmother had an oven that was too small to bake the whole thing at one time, so she had to do it in two shifts). But cutting it in half became a family “minhag.”

OTOH, just because we don’t know of a mekor for something doesn’t necessarily mean there isn’t one.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 12:11 pm

Right, it's a harmless custom (and honestly after a long shemona esrei, sometimes it feels nice to do a quick calf stretch LOL ).[/quote]

honey without hechsher for pesach is not kosher for pesach though because very often there is corn syrup in it - yes even if it says 100%raw honey

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 12:26 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:

honey without hechsher for pesach is not kosher for pesach though because very often there is corn syrup in it - yes even if it says 100%raw honey[/quote]

Rude to ask in front of someone and potentially embarrass them though.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 12:54 pm
You can buy honey with an OU-P.
She was referring to someone who thought all honey was not KFP.

Additionally, while I would not buy Pesach food without the P,and I am not advocating that someone does, I do believe that if something says 100% raw honey, and the ingredients list only says honey, legally it can only contain honey, or a person with a corn allergy could die.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:35 pm
I admit I learned something new today!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics