Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
If you unexpectedly get 10k, what would you do with it?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 12:13 pm
Savings?
Splurge on a vacation?
Spend on one big ticket item?

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 12:14 pm
Savings/investments

Rappel

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 12:16 pm
Save. We weren't counting on it anyway, and I'm sure we'll need it later. Better to put it into some kind of investment, and pretend it doesn't exist until the right day comes.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 12:16 pm
Cover our most pressing debts.
Maybe take off a very small amount before that, to spend on a little luxury, so as to get some enjoyment out of the gift.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 12:18 pm
Put it into remodeling my home to increase the value

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 12:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Savings?
Splurge on a vacation?
Spend on one big ticket item?

If I needed something that I had been saving for, I might put it towards that.

Otherwise, I'd save most of it until I needed something. I would take a small sum for a family splurge -- a few days away, perhaps.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 12:20 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Put it into remodeling my home to increase the value
And making it a more pleasant place to live. You also count here. Smile

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 12:28 pm
At this stage where I have young children and would like to buy a house, I would save it but if I was older I would spend it.

banana123

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 12:30 pm
Save it. It goes into our mortgage or "omg WWIII is breaking out" fund.

Teomima

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 12:37 pm
Obviously the answer is different for each person depending on their unique situation. In my case, were I in need of a big ticket item, I'd put part of it towards that (for example I was in a somewhat similar situation a year ago and badly needed a new fridge so I finally bought that with some of the money). Otherwise I'd set it aside for a rainy day. You never know when your heater is going to explode or your oven suddenly die and that's a good sign to have set aside for all of life's sudden unexpected expenses.

silverlining3

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 12:48 pm
If my life in finance is smooth now, I'd definitely put it in savings for buying a house. Otherwise, would pay debts or use towards much needed vacation.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:25 pm
Obviously it is going to depend on people’s individual financial situation and their financial responsibility.

Are you looking for specific advice?

The obvious answer is to save unless one has high interest debt. In that case, pay off the debt unless you are the kind of person who would immediately run up the credit cards again because you have credit available.

I have read that if one has credit card debt but is also in a precarious situation in terms of future income, it is better to save it and just pay enough of credit cards to keep in good standing because you might need the emergency funds in the next few months.

Luckily personally there is nothing I need or want that I can’t purchase with my current assets, so I would just continue to save.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:26 pm
give it to yael to pay for upgrades and staff to get rid of the trolls and spies and infiltrators here

Thank you Yael and mods for all your hard work in keeping this place as safe as possible for us frum women

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:27 pm
10% to tzedaka. 10% to spend now. Invest the rest.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:28 pm
Put it in tuition/childcare account

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:11 pm
Update my house
Buy a few want items for myself
Savings

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:11 pm
Vacation and leftovers to savings.

Zehava

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:14 pm
Savings probably. Regardless it would be a drop in the bucket of my budget. If I needed a vacation or big ticket item I can just buy it. No need to buy something I don’t need just because I got the money.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:16 pm
Very interesting answers.

I don't have the money yet and it's far from definite, but someone mentioned something and I'm starting to dream. Help in guiding my dreams is appreciated... Smile

I don't feel comfortable detailing our financial status but needless to say if we'd have debt I wouldn't be asking this question. BH we don't, but we do live tightly.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:25 pm
Definitely a New car .. our 2004 is starting to cost more and more in repairs.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics