Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Texas hospitals overrun with Covid patients
1  2  3  4  Next

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:16 pm
déja-vu: Texas is facing the same public health crisis as New York in March-April.
Was that really necessary?

Sebastian

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:18 pm
Interesting this happens 2 weeks after the massive blm protests.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:23 pm
Nah, it was already happening a few weeks ago. It dates back to when the governor reopened the state.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:32 pm
Well things have reached a crisis level in TX. And even though the governor was adamant about staying reopened, he's been forced to retract. Bars are now closed, and restaurants are only allowed 50% capacity. If things don't improve, I'm sure churches are next.
No choice when hospital ICUs are at 100% capacity.

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:34 pm
It seems that a lot of infections were caught in bars... that seems to be a notoriously unsafe place...
like choir rehearsals and big assemblies of any nature: religious, political, sports, music...

Last edited by Ora in town on Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:34 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
So we should NEVER re-open, right???

Fact: TEMPORARY lockdowns do not STOP the spread of a virus - it only SLOWS it
down in order to "flatten the curve".

Insane Democrats tried calling for Lockdowns until there was a vaccine but the
American People said NO.

Thank G-d, there are still some sane Americans left.

What's your advice to the Governor of Texas?

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:38 pm
Actually California and LA County is #1 in highest cases. Chicago's Cook county was second in place of highest cases. So odd that this is not being screamed out by the media...

Can anyone help me out here and figure out reasons why? Why some "hot spots" are in the media's glare and some are not?

Could it be chas v shalom that these are places LA and Chicago where more POC are getting hit harder? Is it racism chas v shalom on behalf of the media?

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:40 pm
Ora in town wrote:
It seems that a lot of infections were caught in bars... that seems to be a notoriously unsafe place...
like choir rehearsals and big assemblies of any nature: religious, political, sports, music...

3 places where majority of cases have been traced to: church services, bars, and strip clubs. Makes sense.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:44 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
What's your advice to the Governor of Texas?

Urge people at high risk (elderly / sick) to self-quarantine - but should get sunshine
everyday for Vitamin D and mental health.

Others should work and go to school with precautions like frequent hand washing - especially after shopping, eat healthy, get enough sleep, and take a multi-vitamin
plus extra zinc, C and D.

Doctors should give the Zelenko protocol of Hydroxyclorquine, Azythromicin and Zinc
right away - instead of waiting until patient is hospitalized. Also IV Vitamin C.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:45 pm
But elderly pple are staying home. Most of these cases are young people, actually.
And they are serious ones, if they are landing in the ICU.

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:49 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Urge people at high risk (elderly / sick) to self-quarantine - but should get sunshine

Others should work and go to school with precautions like frequent hand washing - especially after shopping, eat healthy, get enough sleep, and take a multi-vitamin

Doctors should give the Zelenko protocol of Hydroxyclorquine, Azythromicin and Zinc
right away - instead of waiting until patient is hospitalized. Also IV Vitamin C.

High riks are not only elderly.

Do you propose to split families with small children into high/low risk for coming years?

Does your husband happen to have an organ transplant? Cancer & radiotherapy? Dialyisis?

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:55 pm
#BestBubby wrote:

[b]

Actually, they are finding much less success with that then previously thought and there are many long term cardiac side effects. It's a good thing that you are an infectious disease MD.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:14 pm
Sorry, this is fake news. I posted yesterday and I'm posting again today. Texas ICUs are at 100% capacity. The part the media isn't telling you is that the average capacity at a regular time is 90%.
Yes, there is concern in Texas and the governor is starting to close a few things down after opening up too quickly - which he himself admitted - but things are NOTHING yet like they were in New York. Hopefully this can be stopped with proper changes

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:23 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Sorry, this is fake news. I posted yesterday and I'm posting again today. Texas ICUs are at 100% capacity. The part the media isn't telling you is that the average capacity at a regular time is 90%.
Yes, there is concern in Texas and the governor is starting to close a few things down after opening up too quickly - which he himself admitted - but things are NOTHING yet like they were in New York. Hopefully this can be stopped with proper changes

If they are at 100% capacity, and they have 5000 new cases a day, where will they put the 700 new patients who need intensive care in the course of this week? And the week after?

And then will there be people who complain about neglect in hospital? Because personal is overrun and can't cope? And whose fault will it be? The nurse's fault? or the Governor's?

They tested the hospital population (not suspected of having Covid) and found 47% positive...

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:31 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Actually California and LA County is #1 in highest cases. Chicago's Cook county was second in place of highest cases. So odd that this is not being screamed out by the media...

Can anyone help me out here and figure out reasons why? Why some "hot spots" are in the media's glare and some are not?

Could it be chas v shalom that these are places LA and Chicago where more POC are getting hit harder? Is it racism chas v shalom on behalf of the media?

I can only speak for Los Angeles where it is being reported.

It isn’t critical in Los Angeles because the hospital beds aren’t running out the way they are in Texas and Florida. Of course that can change and I closely follow the daily reports of infections and deaths that are broken down by neighborhoods and also report clusters of infection.

However it is obviously troubling and bars and indoor dining has been shut. It hasn’t changed my behavior or that of my friends as we all continue to avoid being in places where there are other people. We can walk around of course but no one I know is doing anything other than essential stuff like doctor and dental visits or grocery shopping.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:34 pm
Open but SD and wear masks?

I thought that with this wave of corona, fewer people were being hospitalized.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:34 pm
Ora in town wrote:
If they are at 100% capacity, and they have 5000 new cases a day, where will they put the 700 new patients who need intensive care in the course of this week? And the week after?

And then will there be people who complain about neglect in hospital? Because personal is overrun and can't cope? And whose fault will it be? The nurse's fault? or the Governor's?

They tested the hospital population (not suspected of having Covid) and found 47% positive...

The report indicated that they were on pace to exceed an “unsustainable surge capacity” of intensive care beds by July 6.

The normal base occupancy rate at the world's largest medical center is 70 to 80 percent, not 90%.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:35 pm
Ora in town wrote:
High riks are not only elderly.

Do you propose to split families with small children into high/low risk for coming years?

Does your husband happen to have an organ transplant? Cancer & radiotherapy? Dialyisis?

Also there are people with no risk who have suffer complications and there appear to be possible long term deleterious effects like ground glass lungs even in people who exhibited no or minor symptoms.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:37 pm
As non-essential surgeries are now cancelled, ICU beds will start opening up. Also because it's now June and not March, the hospitals are much better prepared than they were a few months ago. They have contingency plans to convert thousands of beds into ICU rooms if necessary.
I'm not trying to sugar coat the situation - yes, things can go bad very quickly. But they're not at that point yet

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:38 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Open but SD and wear masks?

I thought that with this wave of corona, fewer people were being hospitalized.

What appears to be occurring is that younger people were engaging in riskier behavior so more of the, got sick. However inevitably they will infect those who they interact with unless those people protect themselves.

My friend’s mother in law is in an assisted living in Boca. They were locked down for awhile but in the past few weeks, the residents began going out. She just told me that there is the first reported case which means the disease is now going to infect the more vulnerable people who didn’t head out immediately to bars and restaurants.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics