Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
I'm the worst mother ever

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:25 pm
I'm just letting my kids watch videos all day and do their own thing. I have zero energy to entertain and these dumb daycamps are only starting at the end of the week. Uch, I feel so useless

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm just letting my kids watch videos all day and do their own thing. I have zero energy to entertain and these dumb daycamps are only starting at the end of the week. Uch, I feel so useless

So it's OK, temporarily.
It's not for long.

Parents don't have to always be in control of everything.
Nice children that they know to do their own thing!

amother
Amethyst

Be kind to yourself its a tough time for everyone and for some more than others

do what you need to do for now -- much better than being abusive

things will get better IY"H

mega hugs

Cheiny

amother [ OP ] wrote:

Don’t refer to yourself that way! There are unfortunately mothers who are abusive... You, on the other hand, are concerned enough to recognize that you’re not happy about how you’re dealing with entertaining them. Try to think up some alternatives for some of their spare time; a trip to the park, playing outside in your yard, reading, playing games, etc. Most of all, don’t be so hard on yourself. It’s not easy trying to keep our kids entertained these days.

thriver

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:29 pm
You. Are. Not. You are burnt out. Aren’t we all? This is not a usual “yay summer! Break from school” that we usually have. This year it’s “ummm so the kids are still home.....?” Us mothers have been through a lot this 2020. Forgive yourself. Be kind to yourself. They will not IyH be damaged long term having one week of videos. Let yourself breathe easy and enjoy the time your kids are occupied instead of feeling further guilty.

heidi

I'm usually super anti screen time. But desperate times call for desperate measures. I'm assuming your kids have been home non stop since March. Cut yourself some slack.

lovingmommy3417

That doesn't make you a bad parent. We've been stuck with our kids for months! We are all experiencing this at some point! Give yourself a break in order to try to be better. Your kids won't be happy if you aren't happy.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:46 pm
My parents both worked full time and we never had much money. During winter breaks we watched tv all day, alone. During summer between camps it was more of the same. When we did go on “vacation” it was to visit family.

I never felt bad about it growing up. We have so many high expectations of ourselves.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Are your kids wearing clothing, did they eat breakfast today, are they in a safe place? If you answered yes to these questions you're fine. You are not useless. Your kids doing their own thing is fine as long as doing their own thing doesn't result in bodily harm. When you finally tuck them into their beds tonight give them each an extra hug and then give yourself a big pat on the back for getting yourself and all of them through another day.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

That's nothing....one of my kids had a major temper tantrum today, attacking me and scratching me. I lost it and responded in kind. Somehow we twisted each others' wrists. (Not a little kid....two-thirds my height.)

I "win" the worst mommy in the world award. Hands down.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 3:36 pm
The exact opposite! You are a good mother to realize that we are not super humans. We can't do everything day in and day out for months at a time. There's nothing wrong letting your kids learn how to play with each other and entertain themselves. In fact it's good. Kids learn through videos, so if you monitor what they watch, you shouldn't feel bad. Hang in there. Camp's starting soon. Hugs and kisses.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 3:58 pm
OP, if this is what makes you feel like "the worst", you need to realize that it still puts you in the top 3% of best parents in the world!

There are some truly awful, horrible, mean mothers out there. You're just very tired and overwhelmed. Life is crazy right now, so don't use this yardstick to measure your parenting skills.

Hug Hug Hug

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 4:09 pm
My kids just started day camp today (and I got more “stuff” done than in a whole week during lockdown. Two weeks even. But I digress). This whole past week was the worst by far. I think it’s because when you see “the light at the end of the tunnel” it suddenly becomes that you just can’t stand it anymore, and it needs to be done with THIS VERY SECOND. I think it a normal psychological response.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 4:09 pm
About 6 weeks or so ago there was a chinuch symposium. It was on Torah Anytime in conjunction with Torah Umesorah. There were big names there. One rav specifically said something about extra screen time. Not that it's desirable. Not that you want this to be how you will operate when it's over. But in the sense of no jury will convict you now. Of course, within reason. But this is short term till you regroup.

behappy2

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 4:50 pm
I just had an insight over this weekend that we all come into parenting with a mission statement, which usually doesn't work to anyone's advantage. Maybe try thinking what your own mission statement is.

Goldgold

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 4:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Dont be so hard on yourself
You know that this is not ideal
you prob will stop it once you can.
You are a great mother
no one is perfect.
the worst mom would think this ideal
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics