Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Daycamps taking advantage of situation?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 10:34 am
I'm sending to three different places, and each of them somehow shortened the hours each day and/or the amount of days of day camp.
Of course pricing stayed the same. At first I was too excited about the day camps opening that I didn't realize/overthink/ care. But now I kinda feel ripped off. Mad

keym

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 10:40 am
Ask the camps straight up- why.
I did.
Do you know the cost of Purell, handsoap, extra cleaning services, masks, gloves, more/larger classrooms, bringing entertainment and activities to camp, thermometers, individually packaged food and crafts, multiple sports equipment so groups don't share, busses with less kids allowed so hiring more.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 10:42 am
and many are able to take a fewer number of kids as well

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 10:42 am
My kids was the same price and same schedule as usual bh.

keym

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 10:43 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
and many are able to take a fewer number of kids as well

And have to hire more staff for those fewer kids.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 10:57 am
I don't really know the logic. My kids started cheder classes a few weeks ago at reduced hours. We were fine with it as it was a bonus. Their cheder continues till end of July as do most chedarim here. But now that daycamp is allowed to be open why can't cheder go back to regular starting time at 9 or 9:30?
I'm not going to complain as I'm just happy they're getting structure in their day but it does make me wonder if they're just taking advantage of the status quo.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 11:01 am
Probably due to regulations with how often occupied spaces need to be cleaned.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 11:14 am
Camp costs have nearly doubled by me also. I think smaller groups and frequent cleaning does add to the cost, now sure by how much. I am guessing it’s a combination of taking advantage and increased costs.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 11:26 am
I meant to say, the shorter hours are probably due to required frequency of cleaning. Bathrooms, stair railings, door knobs, tables in common areas etc. Where I live, I think requirements are 1x an hour. So cutting back on hours for school or camp lessens the need as well as costs for the cleaning crew.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 11:41 am
I would personally be suspicious if a camp didn’t reduce services and/or raise rates.

To operate with appropriate safety measures is expensive. I would imagine some are cutting corners because many camps ran the numbers and didn’t open because they couldn’t afford to.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 11:53 am
Idk, sounds funny to me too. Yes there are extra costs this year but camps are getting grants to help pay for them. But most importantly there are no trips this year! City day camps where I live do a full day trip at least once a week. Not possible for costs of prepackaged crafts to cost more than admission for a trip. I see what these things cost and if anything camps pay less cuz they buy in bulk.

What irks me most of all is the unfairness in pricing. Older kids cost almost $200 more than little ones most years, cuz they go on much more trips. This year, price for teens has not gone down at all...why??

keym

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 12:03 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Idk, sounds funny to me too. Yes there are extra costs this year but camps are getting grants to help pay for them. But most importantly there are no trips this year! City day camps where I live do a full day trip at least once a week. Not possible for costs of prepackaged crafts to cost more than admission for a trip. I see what these things cost and if anything camps pay less cuz they buy in bulk.

What irks me most of all is the unfairness in pricing. Older kids cost almost $200 more than little ones most years, cuz they go on much more trips. This year, price for teens has not gone down at all...why??

My daughter is working in a camp. The director told them the grant to cover costs was a total of $2000 the whole summer. That's not very much in Purely, soap, cleaning, etc.
Also, they will be bringing in entertainment, instead of trips. Weekly magicians, twins from France, Uncle Moishy, Acrobats cost.
Renting "trips to you". Entrepreneurs are opening "bring the water park, bowling alley, mini golf, bouncy trip, amusement park rides, planetarium to you". That costs. And older grades will get more or better shows and on site trips.
Many of the lower cost options of inter-bunk or inter-camp sports are off the table.
And contact sports are not allowed.
And we can't forget that they lost hundreds of dollars in deposits to the water parks and amusement parks that they may or may not ever get back.

But like I said. Ask them.
I did, and boy was I surprised.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 12:12 pm
keym wrote:
My daughter is working in a camp. The director told them the grant to cover costs was a total of $2000 the whole summer. That's not very much in Purely, soap, cleaning, etc.
Also, they will be bringing in entertainment, instead of trips. Weekly magicians, twins from France, Uncle Moishy, Acrobats cost.
Renting "trips to you". Entrepreneurs are opening "bring the water park, bowling alley, mini golf, bouncy trip, amusement park rides, planetarium to you". That costs. And older grades will get more or better shows and on site trips.
Many of the lower cost options of inter-bunk or inter-camp sports are off the table.
And contact sports are not allowed.
And we can't forget that they lost hundreds of dollars in deposits to the water parks and amusement parks that they may or may not ever get back.

But like I said. Ask them.
I did, and boy was I surprised.

Thanks, this explains a lot.

But how do you justify charging the same price for three weeks and for 4? (first and second half) Is there a reason for that? Even transportation costs the same.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 12:57 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Thanks, this explains a lot.

But how do you justify charging the same price for three weeks and for 4? (first and second half) Is there a reason for that? Even transportation costs the same.

Because they can.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:30 pm
Look, obviously they are doing this for profit. Supply and demand. They have the upper hand, so, yes, they can charge more than is technically needed. If they had very few applicants, they'd lower the prices.
Just like seminaries. I wonder if a long term effect of the pandemic will result in lower seminary fees. Despite what all the "experts" are quoted as saying in the frum media, I think they will be forced to reopen at a greatly reduced capacity and probably fewer students. I strongly doubt they can open as usual in Elul, and if they have a delayed opening many people will likely opt out.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:34 pm
My kids have less hours and price went up a lot. I feel so taken advantage of. But couldn't deny my kids day camp.... They've been home for months....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children