Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Children With Special Needs and Mask Wearing
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 11:29 am
I have a 14 year old daughter with Special Needs who absolutely can't wear a mask. We've tried different styles, disposable and cloth. And she just can't wear one.

Her school (if they actually open) will be requiring masks all day. It's not going to happen...she can't do it.

I have already been considering homeschooling her for a bunch of other reasons, but have not been 100% sure because of some of her special education needs. It's a tough, tough situation and not an easy decision at all!

But then there's the mask wearing and, the decision of whether or not to homeschool her might come down to the fact that she can't wear one. And that sort of feels ridiculous!

Anyone in the same boat? How are you handling mask wearing with you special needs kids? Anyone considering homeschooling a special needs kid because of the pandemic situation?

I'm very nervous and worried, and having a really hard time figuring out what to do!

youngishbear

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 11:31 am
I read about a "movement" of anti-maskers who refuse to wear a mask based on some supposed disability, claiming the protection of the Americans with Disabilities Act, which prohibits people from asking what exactly the disability is.

My point is, if they can use it for protest purposes, can you look into whether the Act protects people like your child with legitimate ADA-related reasons?

singleagain

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 11:33 am
Can she tolerate a face shield? Your might be a good option

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 11:40 am
In Israel disabled people don't need to wear a mask.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 11:47 am
LovesHashem wrote:
In Israel disabled people don't need to wear a mask.
That makes sense. It's ridiculous to make disabled people wear a mask. They are uncomfortable enough as it is. It's just not realistic. The people making these laws are not being reasonable with this one.

BatyaEsther

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 11:47 am
Just sending love and hatzlacha.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 11:53 am
I am in a special needs facebook group for my area and the parents with kids in small self contained classes are not so worried because the smaller the class, the easier it is to spread desks out to the degree you wont need a mask.

Anyone with a kid in a mainstream class is freaking out. Some had success with face shields. Others said the disposable surgical masks are light enough their kids are okay with it. Some said they will keep their kids home.
This is going to be a huge issue with kids that we work so hard to mainstream. Its extremely complicated and there is no good solution for anyone.

Its complicated also because if I get my kid to buy into wearing the mask and amothers child does not wear the mask, you end up with a lot of social issues between the kids and the other parents. Many parents are really scared to send their kids back to school and the mask wearing is what helps them get off the cliff. When its not done by the whole school it gets sticky.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 12:00 pm
By law, disabled people are EXEMPT from masks and cannot be denied admittance.

Get a doctor's note that your daughter cannot wear a mask and a letter from a lawyer that
your daughter is Exempt.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 12:13 pm
youngishbear wrote:
I read about a "movement" of anti-maskers who refuse to wear a mask based on some supposed disability, claiming the protection of the Americans with Disabilities Act, which prohibits people from asking what exactly the disability is.

My point is, if they can use it for protest purposes, can you look into whether the Act protects people like your child with legitimate ADA-related reasons?

It's the other way around, the ADA act requires reasonable accommodations to those who disclose a disability. The ADA

I would recommend that the OP speak to her school and other parents, she may not be the only parent with this issue, but not to make spurious claims.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:28 pm
singleagain wrote:
Can she tolerate a face shield? Your might be a good option

I was going to suggest a face shield as well. They are much more comfortable to wer and some schools are intending to use them.

I just ordered for myself and family as have many of my friends.

singleagain

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:36 pm
Amarante wrote:
I was going to suggest a face shield as well. They are much more comfortable to wer and some schools are intending to use them.

I just ordered for myself and family as have many of my friends.

It was actually your other post on face shields that made me think of it

Mothers

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:43 pm
You did not specify your daughter’s disability, so it is hard to offer specific suggestions, but can you start an ABA-like desensitization program with her? Maybe begin by rewarding her for trying on the mask or shield. Then reward for wearing it for brief periods every day. Then build up to longer periods and multiple times per day, etc. (always with positivity and rewards - never with negativity or coercion).

Masks are for her own protection as well as for those who are interacting with and/or assisting her. There’s plenty of time before school starts, so if you work on it consistently, she may be able to tolerate it by then.

Wishing you much hatzlacha with this and all else. It’s definitely a difficult and challenging situation to be in.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:01 pm
Question, aren't some special needs correlated with cardiac issues? What risk are those children at? I can't imagine how that would work.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:04 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Question, aren't some special needs correlated with cardiac issues? What risk are those children at? I can't imagine how that would work.

How what would work?

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:07 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
How what would work?

If people in the classroom where not wearing masks.
Although I am sure there are those posters who would say that is not their problem and they should just stay home.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:11 pm
As others have posted, ADA requires that reasonable accommodations be made. The issue would be what reasonable accommodations are.

This would be especially true for matters of public health where masks are being worn to protect other people. So not wearing a mask by one child could theoretically endanger the health of another child.

These are complicated legal issues and are not black and white. I would speak with the school and find out what their policy is and then take it from there.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:15 pm
My autistic son cannot wear a mask. His doctor wrote him a note, however, he warned us that places can still refuse to let him in even with the note. He is in a special needs class and likely won't need a mask at school because his class is small, and the other kids probably also can't tolerate masks, however, he would still need to wear one when in the hallway, entering and leaving the building etc. We have had success with face shield though, turns out, he's totally fine with the face shield. Definitely give that a try, it's way more comfortable than a mask.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:23 pm
There is a site that makes custom face shields with all kinds of motifs and you can upload your own pictures if you want.

They are about $10.00 and since shields are easily cleaned and so are reusable they work out to not being expensive per use. They could probably help make it a more fun experience for a child

https://www.zazzle.com/s/face+shield

They have pages and pages of different designs.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:58 pm
In my part of the world children under 12 and disabled dont have to wear masks. Really another way to make life hard for these people?Schools are open from may and the numbers are still going down bh.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 4:16 pm
Amarante wrote:
There is a site that makes custom face shields with all kinds of motifs and you can upload your own pictures if you want.

They are about $10.00 and since shields are easily cleaned and so are reusable they work out to not being expensive per use. They could probably help make it a more fun experience for a child

https://www.zazzle.com/s/face+shield

What a great find! I think this one could come in handy: https://www.zazzle.com/my_mom_.....99408

I can't decide which one I want to get.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics