Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Cheap vacation rental short drive from Brooklyn

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 2:09 pm
looking to get away for a couple of days. Short drive from Brooklyn (max 2 hours), prefer a small private house rather than hotel, must be close to kosher restaurants and grocery. Bonus if there is a pool or jacuzzi. Not looking to spend too much.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 3:04 pm
I just went with my husband for 2 days to Bushkill falls. Stayed in a hotel room (was about 40 min from falls) that had a massive jacuzzi. With car rental and everything spent about $550.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 3:07 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
I just went with my husband for 2 days to Bushkill falls. Stayed in a hotel room (was about 40 min from falls) that had a massive jacuzzi. With car rental and everything spent about $550.

Thank you! Can you post the name of the hotel? Is there kosher food in the area?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 3:47 pm
Mount Pocono (was about $100 a night)
No kosher food. We brought along a disposable grill and sandwhich Maker.
There was a fridge in our room so we brought things in a freezer bag like yogurt, cheese etc.

piegirl

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 6:15 pm
Is mount pocano the name of the Hotel? I’m having a hard time finding it.
Thank you for posting this btw- we’ve been looking for an affordable getaway for so long and just cannot find.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 7:12 pm
https://www.mhotelmountpoconop...../2020

The prices seemed to have gone up a drop but it’s could just depend on the day of the week...
I hope you find something

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 7:18 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Mount Pocono (was about $100 a night)
No kosher food. We brought along a disposable grill and sandwhich Maker.
There was a fridge in our room so we brought things in a freezer bag like yogurt, cheese etc.

Thank you, but I'm really looking for a place with kosher food. I don't want to do much cooking and we have dietary restrictions that make convenience foods like yogurt and sandwiches off limits.

Stars

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 8:07 pm
Seagate! A lot shorter than 2 hours but it's a wonderful place. You can pm me for phone numbers of rentals I will reply after shabbos iyh.

amother
Navy

Post Sat, Jun 27 2020, 10:36 pm
My friend went to a hotel outside of monsey.

Maybe you can find a rental house in that area

doctorima

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 5:18 pm
If you need to be near kosher restaurants, your options are pretty limited. You can try to find a house in Lakewood, Monsey, or Cherry Hill. Check AirBNB, VRBO, and Reserve Kosher, but finding a cheap rental in a frum area with a pool is unfortunately not realistic.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 8:03 pm
doctorima wrote:
If you need to be near kosher restaurants, your options are pretty limited. You can try to find a house in Lakewood, Monsey, or Cherry Hill. Check AirBNB, VRBO, and Reserve Kosher, but finding a cheap rental in a frum area with a pool is unfortunately not realistic.

I’m also looking for this but don’t need kosher food. We take along our own when we travel since it’s more economical. Any leads?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 8:14 pm
I already posted a bit about it but I went to the poconos. It was really nice. Stayed in a hotel with a huge jacuzzi. Went to Bushkill falls. We brought along a disposable grill and had a bbq by the water. Was really nice.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 8:16 pm
Another idea... I did last year is Atlantic City. There was kosher food but not sure about this year. The restaurant are only open in the summer usually and I’m not sure how carona has impacted things.

doctorima

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:03 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
I’m also looking for this but don’t need kosher food. We take along our own when we travel since it’s more economical. Any leads?

Do you still need a minyan? That will still be quite limiting. If not, then you can basically go anywhere that you want (but check various state laws for visitors and quarantines - some still required a 14-day quarantine).

Go onto AirBNB and VRBO and put in your dates and budget and amenities (e.g. pool) and zoom out to search as large an area as possible, and see what comes up. Hopefully the pics and price and reviews of one will speak to you, and you'll book it and have a wonderful and sage getaway!

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:12 pm
doctorima wrote:
Do you still need a minyan? That will still be quite limiting. If not, then you can basically go anywhere that you want (but check various state laws for visitors and quarantines - some still required a 14-day quarantine).

Go onto AirBNB and VRBO and put in your dates and budget and amenities (e.g. pool) and zoom out to search as large an area as possible, and see what comes up. Hopefully the pics and price and reviews of one will speak to you, and you'll book it and have a wonderful and sage getaway!

Thank you! In your experience were these rentals always as expected? Afraid to go to just a random house based on reviews on the internet. We always stay at hotels We know and trust because of this fear.

doctorima

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 11:28 pm
I've B"H never had a bad experience. If you choose a place with lots of consistent (and recent!) positive reviews, and you look through the pics to make sure you know what you're getting, and you contact the owner beforehand with any questions to make sure you're on the same page, you should be fine. You're taking a chance, but in return, you're getting a much larger space than a hotel room for your money, as well as more privacy and less human interaction in the Covid era.

And even if you stay in the same place that I enjoyed 3 years ago, there's no guarantee that everything is still in the same condition, hence the need for recent reviews. Also make sure you have a contact # for the owner in case things come up when you arrive or during your stay.

Obviously things can still go wrong, even when nobody's out to defraud you. We've had hot tubs that weren't heated up when we arrived and other small things, but we've also stayed in hotels where the pool or gym was closed for maintenance.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 11:38 pm
Deal NJ is stunning and there's kosher food. Check out Airbnb for houses.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 8:35 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Deal NJ is stunning and there's kosher food. Check out Airbnb for houses.

If anyone is good at this, is there anything on the beach with a swimming pool?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics