Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
First time playgroup Morah

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 6:51 pm
What practices/routines did you love best about your kid's 2 yr old playgroups?

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 6:58 pm
My child just had a 1st time playgroup morah who was awesome and I would sent to again. Things I liked:
I felt she would work with me if I needed it
She was on top of everything
I knew the kids were in very caring and responsible hands - her zero cellphone policy during playgroup hours made me feel comfortable
Each kid got love and attention
What more do you need in a playgroup for 2 yr olds? It wasn’t the curriculum or projects that impressed me although those were nice extras.
Good luck to you!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 7:28 pm
All I want for that age is someone who will be calm, patient, warm and attentive to the kids at all times. That means the group can't be too big, she can't be on the phone/ computer/ making her kids dinner, and she has a good understanding of normal child development and meeting their individual needs.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 8:17 pm
Structure and love

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 9:04 pm
I totally agree about the morah being loving and taking expectional care of the kids... but my 2 yr old morah this year was just above and beyond, besides for being loving and warm my 2 yr old knows so much from her! She says brachos and knows shema! She knows her colors and all about animals and how we benefit from them! I was just blown away by how much she teaches them. But that is totally not a requirement for a good morah, was just very impressed.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 9:08 pm
I think after reading horrendous and dangerous posts here about babysitters, I would be happy to hear that the child is just not neglected.

Everything after that is a bonus.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 9:13 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I totally agree about the morah being loving and taking expectional care of the kids... but my 2 yr old morah this year was just above and beyond, besides for being loving and warm my 2 yr old knows so much from her! She says brachos and knows shema! She knows her colors and all about animals and how we benefit from them! I was just blown away by how much she teaches them. But that is totally not a requirement for a good morah, was just very impressed.

She is a "morah" after all. Not a babysitter.

behappy2

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 9:13 pm
My daughter was in a playgroup at 17 months. She sang songs, did play dough and simple coloring. They had a routine, a lot of toys and a small group. The Morah was very involved with the kids. She held them a lot and talked to them all the time.

At 2.5 she was in a playgroup where she was one of the oldest. They did a lot more activities, arts and crafts, learned parsha and songs. I didn't feel it was necessary though I do think they could get bored if there isn't a lot going on. I didn't like that the group was so big (I8 kids) and one assistant and the atmosphere was less Mommyish .

All in all was happy with both.

dovebird

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 9:21 pm
Where are you opening a playgroup? Can you pm me please?

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:27 pm
9:30-2:30 playgroup
First I took out one toy and I sat on the floor and played with them till like 10-15 min after the last kid showed up. Then we cleaned up and had breakfast.
10:00- davening, excersize, parsha/middos etc
10:30- arts and crafts
11:00- free play.
12- cleanup, bathroom time, handwashing, lunch.
1- rest time, books
1:30- gross motor- summer we played outside. Winter we did parachute, balls, alef bais exercises, etc
2- snack, bathroom, washing up, tucking in etc. Then I read a book while waiting for parents

Of course this was just a general routine and sometimes things took faster or longer. Keep a list hanging on the wall of a bunch of spur of the moment games and activities for when kids get wild or bored.
Little kids are the purest things! Enjoy them!!!

bumpkin2

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 8:59 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
9:30-2:30 playgroup
First I took out one toy and I sat on the floor and played with them till like 10-15 min after the last kid showed up. Then we cleaned up and had breakfast.
10:00- davening, excersize, parsha/middos etc
10:30- arts and crafts
11:00- free play.
12- cleanup, bathroom time, handwashing, lunch.
1- rest time, books
1:30- gross motor- summer we played outside. Winter we did parachute, balls, alef bais exercises, etc
2- snack, bathroom, washing up, tucking in etc. Then I read a book while waiting for parents

Of course this was just a general routine and sometimes things took faster or longer. Keep a list hanging on the wall of a bunch of spur of the moment games and activities for when kids get wild or bored.
Little kids are the purest things! Enjoy them!!!

What age group is this schedule for? I didn't see nap?

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 12:00 am
bumpkin2 wrote:
What age group is this schedule for? I didn't see nap?

It was a 3yo group. We had rest time where they quietly laid on little mats with books. The beginning of the yr we did have 2-3 kids that needed a proper nap. I put them in a side room. But since most kids didn't have to sleep, I had to continue with the day to keep them busy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics