Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
School in monsey

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 3:04 pm
Shifra Miriam in monsey.
Is it hard to get in? What type of crowd sends there. If my boys are not in a chassidish cheider would they accept my girls ? Were a frum erlich house and not into technology or own computer or watch stuff but my boys school is a diverse from all types . They do have good friends tho. Were looking for a good nutruel school. Beis Rochel I heared is extremely hard to get in . How about shifra Miriam and what type of school is it considered to be?

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 3:46 pm
I'll start. Bais Shifra Miriam is a small school with small classes. It is run by Rabbi Flohr - very sincere. Litvishe havara with a lot of chassidish families and very right shtarke yeshivish families. They try not to take government programs so there is no lunch program for 1-8 grade. There is lunch for preschool. They are always trying to improve their academics, but it is probably still lower than other schools.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 4:35 pm
Bais Shifra Miriam is mostly chassidish by now but real torah'dig simple families. Really not into trends and clothing like other schools are. There's also some litvish/yeshivish families. They take girls even if the boys don't go to chassidish cheders and I don't think it's so hard to get in there.
2 of my neighbors send there, real nice families with very good kids.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 10:35 pm
the pre school teachers speak yiddish
they don't accept children with driving mothers anymore, although few exceptions.
you get the drift?

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 10:42 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
the pre school teachers speak yiddish
they don't accept children with driving mothers anymore, although few exceptions.
you get the drift?

Pre school, elementary, and high school teachers teach in yiddish. They have Yiddish and English like every other chassidish school. They accept driving mothers only if the mother was always driving and they're not just sending there because they want to drive. They're very strict regarding internet in the home, my neighbor had to stop working from home.

silverlining3

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 11:54 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Pre school, elementary, and high school teachers teach in yiddish. They have Yiddish and English like every other chassidish school. They accept driving mothers only if the mother was always driving and they're not just sending there because they want to drive. They're very strict regarding internet in the home, my neighbor had to stop working from home.

They do not accept kids if the mother drives. Or it's just an excuse they give.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 11:57 pm
silverlining3 wrote:
They do not accept kids if the mother drives. Or it's just an excuse they give.

They need to give this excuse because people want to send there just because they want to drive but they really don't belong in that school. If a mother always drove and comes from a family that drives, they don't make an issue.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 12:04 am
So is it appropriate for chasidish girls if litvish havara ? Would it compare to bais bracha in bp?

silverlining3

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 12:06 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
They need to give this excuse because people want to send there just because they want to drive but they really don't belong in that school. If a mother always drove and comes from a family that drives, they don't make an issue.

I got that in your first post.
But I know of a family who the mother always drove and her family drives. They didn't wanna accept. I remember her being upset and saying, okay, so driving is worse that internet.

Eta- oops, I might be confusing with bais rochel. Maybe not... She definitely tried both schools. Not sure who gave what excuse. My bad

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 12:39 am
[quote="amother [ Blonde ]"]So is it appropriate for chasidish girls if litvish havara ? Would it compare to bais bracha in bp?[/quote
It’s not on a high level academically, so it’s not like bais bracha... bais rochel compares to bais bracha a little better in that sense....
hashkafically it’s a little like bais bracha.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 1:01 am
So it’s a lower level academically than other chasidish schools? Trying to figure this out. Why wouldn’t they try to raise the level?

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 1:26 pm
Bump
Can anyone explain the reason why it’s considered low acedemic level? And is it lower than the standard chasidish school?

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 1:44 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Bump
Can anyone explain the reason why it’s considered low acedemic level? And is it lower than the standard chasidish school?

Yes, their learning level is considered on the lower level but they are slowly upping it.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 1:54 pm
It's great school, with good solid Torah Hashkafos. Litvish havara is not such a big problem for chassidish - speaking from experience... It has the benefits of a small school, yet not new...
They possibly have a lower academic level - but I've never seen a difference in my education/academic level than those of my peers in other schools and it did not stop me from getting my degree
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children