Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Best masks
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 27 2020, 11:13 pm
I’m running low on my mask supply, and seeing as they may be needed for awhile, I want to buy reusable washable ones. Which are the most comfortable and breathable?

amother
Black

Post Sat, Jun 27 2020, 11:17 pm
I doubt these are the most comfortable, but Target has the cheapest ones - 2-pack of washable masks for $4. They have child and adult sizes.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 27 2020, 11:18 pm
I’d rather spend for comfort..

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Jun 27 2020, 11:40 pm
The rustic dime citizen mask is super comfortable.

Amarante

Post Sat, Jun 27 2020, 11:59 pm
I have been reading quite a lot and I just purchased face shields. They are easy to clean and much more comfortable to wear. For extra protection, I can wear a disposable surgical mask 😷. I think children would find the, much easier to wear as well.

I like the disposable ones to use as well becaise if I have to take the mask off I don’t have to worry about contamination as I can just use a new one.

I got my shields from this place after researching. They also sell authentic KN95 masks from an FDA approved manufacturer and they are an authorized distributor.

In terms of cloth masks, after researching I got a three layer mask made of quilting cotton with a space to insert a filter. Quilting cotton is supposed to be denser than other materials that are being used. The mask is fairly comfortable.

https://bonafidemasks.com/

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/0......html

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 1:27 am
Are people in your neighborhood still wearing masks???
In Boro park it’s very few and mostly elderly

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 2:12 am
Handmade on Etsy or by local people.
3 layer fabric cloth masks you can wash.

We bought some on Etsy and some locally.

shanie5

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 8:49 pm
Face shields are not good enough to replace masks. They can also fog up.
I make masks using tshirts. I find them more comfortable than woven fabrics.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 8:54 pm
shanie5 wrote:
Face shields are not good enough to replace masks. They can also fog up.
I make masks using tshirts. I find them more comfortable than woven fabrics.

Face shields are thought to be just as protective as masks.

Also research a bit on materials for cloth masks. Tshirt and other knitted materials is considered to be the least protective because it is porous. The best cloth masks are from quilting cotton or 600 thread sheeting which are both very dense. Also cloth masks should be double layer with a pocket to insert a filter for maximum effectiveness.

https://www.aarp.org/health/he......html

| By now we know we should be wearing face masks to protect others from potentially deadly infection when we leave the house. But face masks can be hot, and they can irritate the skin, fog glasses, make it difficult for some to breathe and create a world without smiles. It also can be difficult for people who have hearing loss to communicate when mouths are covered, muffling voices and hiding facial expressions.

Are clear plastic face shields, most frequently used in health care settings, a better option?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention continues to recommend wearing “cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain.” But some health experts say shields appear to be very effective at preventing infection — maybe even more effective than masks — for someone going about regular daily activities and not in a high-risk health care setting.

For the latest coronavirus news and advice go to AARP.org/coronavirus.

Amesh Adalja, M.D., a pandemic preparedness expert at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, says, “There's a lot of at least biological possibility to suspect that [shields] are definitely better than homemade face masks, and maybe even better than other types of masks as well, because they not only prevent you from spreading it … [and] because it also covers your eyes, it provides more protection to the mucus membranes of your face where you might be getting infected.”

James Cherry, M.D., a distinguished research professor and infectious disease expert at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, says that while experts aren't yet sure about how vulnerable our eyes are to infection from this coronavirus, “With many viruses, the eyes are important.” He points to measles and adenoviruses as examples of viruses that are known to infect people through their eyes.

DIY face shield tips
There are many online videos showing how to make your own shield in a few minutes, with different variations: a Canadian DIYer uses plastic binding covers you find at office supply stores; others use plastic bottles. (Note that these are not medical-grade or approved by any official health agency.)

This is one how to make a shield from an empty soda bottle.

You'll need:

A 2-liter clear plastic bottle
Cutting tool or scissors
Small piece of weather stripping (others use packaging foam)
Hole puncher
String or ribbon
Directions:

Cut off the end of the bottle a few inches from the bottom
Cut off the top of the bottle, keeping a bit of the curvature, which will go under the chin
Cut up the middle, so it becomes a somewhat flat piece of plastic
Trim off sharp edges, and narrow a bit if necessary to fit the width of your face
Peel off the backing of a piece of weather stripping and stick it to the top edge, which will go against your forehead
Punch a hole at the top on either side, and thread a string or ribbon through
Tie it around your head
Another benefit, says Adalja: With a mask, you may find yourself constantly adjusting it and therefore touching your face and possibly transferring the virus from your hands, but wearing a shield “doesn't really put you in a position where you're touching your face so much, because it's not as cumbersome to wear."

And finally, Adalja adds, “If you walk down the sidewalk, you can find lots of masks that are just discarded there, which are an infection control risk for other people. Whereas a face shield is something that people can just clean themselves and reuse."

A recent opinion piece in JAMA by Eli Perencevich, M.D., a professor of internal medicine and epidemiology at the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, and two of his colleagues pointed to such benefits of shields for infection prevention, and noted that “face shields appear to significantly reduce the amount of inhalation exposure to influenza virus, another droplet-spread respiratory virus. In a simulation study, face shields were shown to reduce immediate viral exposure by 96 percent when worn by a simulated health care worker within 18 inches of a cough.” In an April 19 tweet Perencevich wrote, “Biggest benefit of face shields would be inside crowded office situations where air exchanges aren't ideal."

Another benefit? With warmer weather, many may also find a face shield attached to a headband or cap cooler to wear than a cloth mask.

Some members of the public are taking such arguments to heart — choosing shields especially for their ability to keep the entire face visible.

Lauren Lek, head of school at Academy of Our Lady of Peace, in San Diego, plans to have her 750 returning faculty and students wear face shields at school rather than masks this August. “Safety and health for our community is a priority for us in reopening,” she says. “As soon as we saw from the CDC [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] and our local public health office that face shields would be an acceptable alternative to face masks, we knew this was a direction we wanted to move in.”

Noting that face-to-face interaction is key to the education her school provides, Lek adds that face shields are better than masks for students with learning differences, including autism spectrum disorders (ASDs), because they allow for full visibility of facial expressions that can help them read and understand social cues

West End Tova

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I want to buy reusable washable ones. Which are the most comfortable and breathable?

My friend put me on to SewFunThreads at Etsy. I like them a lot. They're very expensive - $17@ but I think they're good for walking around in places where it's not too crowded. They also have a pocket for a filter, which you buy separately. The filter does make it more difficult to breathe if you're walking very quickly, but my doctor says it's not necessary if there aren't too many people around.

Last edited by West End Tova on Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:20 pm
We bought these (crazy expensive) anti-viral, washable Israeli face masks: https://sonoviatech.com/

They're supposed to repel particles over 5 microns, and aerosolized droplets are bigger than that. I find them comfortable and feel more secure when meeting with clients.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:25 pm
DH ordered these when he started going to an outdoor minyan. They're the best reusable masks I've tried so far.

https://www.brooksbrothers.com......html

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:27 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:

Thankfully in my neighborhood they are smarter than they are in BP. Yes people in my neighborhood still wear masks. Not wearing one announced your ignorance

West End Tova

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:39 pm

Yes, people are mostly wearing masks. No one is allowed in my building without a mask, in fact.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 11:14 pm
Has anyone found a reusable mask that seals well enough by the nose to not fog up glasses??? It’s driving me crazy!

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 11:29 pm

Masks are required in many stores in my neighborhood and in all department stores. We don't wear a mask when just walking on the street, our streets are never crowded. But we do wear a mask in stores.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 12:35 am
I was just in ShopRite in Brooklyn, and everyone wore masks.

Frumwithallergies

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 12:56 am
Tricks for avoiding fog in your glasses when wearing a mask:
1. Bringing your mask up almost to your eyes (beneath your glasses)
2. Breathing from your nose or mouth; try different techniques
3. Taping down the top of the mask with medical grade tape.
I'm sure there are more. I use # 1 and #2 to survive at work (in healthcare)

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 3:41 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Has anyone found a reusable mask that seals well enough by the nose to not fog up glasses??? It’s driving me crazy!

If you wear a 3 layered mask with a bendable thing by the nose, and clinch it by the top of your nose you shouldn't have issues.

metacognizant

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 6:23 am
I just got a pack of 5 breathable reusable face masks from Hyperlite Mountain Gear for $20 + shipping. Here's the link: https://www.hyperlitemountaing.....-five I'm very very happy with them. They have the wire band at the bridge of the nose so they don't fog your glasses, they have elastic all the way around so they make a good seal with your face (even if the wearer has a beard), and they are baggy in the front so there is room to breathe. Other than the fact that they look like wearing underwear on your face, they are extremely comfortable.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics