Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Making aliyah with money
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 7:04 pm
I keep reading threads about how hard it is to make aliyah, you have to be a thousand percent committed and don't come expecting your American lifestyle.
My husband has a very good job that he thinks he can bring to Israel. We would be able to afford a villa in RBS (where we have friends and family) ,a car, tutors for kids, American products etc. How big a difference does this make? We don't speak Hebrew well but want to learn. Is it worth a try because why not live in Israel if we can?, or don't bother coming unless you can't live anywhere else. Thanks!

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:05 pm
Financial security is definitely a plus.. (We were fortunate enough to make aliyah with resources, so I'm talking from experience.)

And yet - I've seen money work against olim. If you fly back to the States for every little thing, your kids will see where you have your center of gravity. I'm not surprised when a family that imports their groceries from the US has kids who move back.

Money or not, you still need to have both feet on the ground in Israel. You don't have to burn your bridges, but you need to see yourself as actually living in Israel, not just hovering above the surface.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:59 pm
I would gladly trade places with you. I want to make Aliyah but we don’t have enough money. Money helps a lot with the big move. However, you have to be fully committed and actually want to move. I know many olim that managed to learn Hebrew in israel, it won’t be easy but luckily there are now many communities with Anglos.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 10:00 pm
Would do it in a heartbeat

essie14

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 12:30 am
Money for sure helps but it isnt the end all and be all.
In my personal opinion and experience, what mauve said above, people who have too much of a foot in the door of America don't always do so well.
Yes, buy or rent a nice house. There are plenty of those in RBS and you will find like minded friends. Yes, bring those creature comforts that will help you and your family adjust.
But you should all learn Hebrew as best as you can. You dont have to buy every single imported item just because it's there.
You don't have to go back to America for every chag and summer. Show your family the beauty of Israel, enjoy the amazing things here.
Happy to discuss more over PM.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 12:38 am
We made aliyah with enough money to buy a house straight out, no mortgage. And a car.
Definitely helped the transition.
Although we live in a very Anglo community, I made it my business to learn Hebrew, as did my children.
We live comfortably BH , but don't hide in our Anglo bubble by choice.

twizzlers1

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 1:13 am
I'm with everyone else that says it definitely helps. I live in RBS and I'm happy to answer other questions. You can feel free to PM me.
It is a huge adjustment even when you have money. I'm from the Midwest but I still think that there is a huge adjustment when you move to a new country.

ora_43

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 1:36 am
It's not, like, "don't come unless you are willing to crawl up a hill of broken glass on your stomach and subsist on gruel for a year." Aliyah is allowed to be easy Smile .

But even when the financial side is easy, there will still be challenges unique to moving to a new country. So just be aware that those exist, and have a reason for coming that's important enough to make the challenge worth it for you. (Which could be anything; there's no such thing as a bad reason to make aliyah. Heck, come because our hummus is tastier - so long as that's motivation enough for you to put up with things like bureaucracy, homesickness, and people around you speaking a language you don't understand.)

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 1:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I keep reading threads about how hard it is to make aliyah, you have to be a thousand percent committed and don't come expecting your American lifestyle.
My husband has a very good job that he thinks he can bring to Israel. We would be able to afford a villa in RBS (where we have friends and family) ,a car, tutors for kids, American products etc. How big a difference does this make? We don't speak Hebrew well but want to learn. Is it worth a try because why not live in Israel if we can?, or don't bother coming unless you can't live anywhere else. Thanks!
OP, it doesnt matter the money you bring (although obviously the more money you come with the better).
But more important is one's attitude. If you are going to move to israel because why not, Im not sure thats a good reason. But if you and your family have a desire to live in Israel, that will help you all our much more in the end.
And while all of those things that you mentioned in the beginning might seem important to you, the more you stay in an anglo bubble (american products and possibly traveling back every summer) the less you and your children will acclimate. Just a fact. Ive seen it with some anglos where I live.

So while money is very important, if you have it, it is definitely not everything at all.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 1:48 am
I don't really understand the question.
Obviously money makes things much easier.
If you have family here, and jobs, and money - you've pretty much overcome the major obstacles of aliyah.

Just a side comment- if you buy a villa, buy in an area with lots of other villas, and send to a school that also has some wealthier kids. You don't want your kids to be the lone 'rich kids' on the block.

I see nothing wrong with enjoying American products, though as others said, I would also get used to local brands. This isn't the 60s, in many things local brands are just as good, and much more convenient. But there is nothing wrong with buying American if you so please. They are actually now stocked in many supermarkets with a large anglo population.

Success10

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 1:49 am
I'm going to mirror what everyone else said. Money is a huge factor, and will certainly help tons, but it's not everything. You have to want to live here, be committed to it, and accept that there will be challenges that money can't solve.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 1:59 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I don't really understand the question.
Obviously money makes things much easier.

If you have family here, and jobs, and money - you've pretty much overcome the major obstacles of aliyah.

This pretty much sums it up.

amother [ Olive ] wrote:

Just a side comment- if you buy a villa, buy in an area with lots of other villas, and send to a school that also has some wealthier kids. You don't want your kids to be the lone 'rich kids' on the block.

I guess... but I'm sure OP is not going to buy a villa in some run-down area. Also, just because OP will have a nice house doesn't mean her kids need to flaunt their good circumstances at school or with friends.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 3:52 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Financial security is definitely a plus.. (We were fortunate enough to make aliyah with resources, so I'm talking from experience.)

And yet - I've seen money work against olim. If you fly back to the States for every little thing, your kids will see where you have your center of gravity. I'm not surprised when a family that imports their groceries from the US has kids who move back.

This was my experience, growing up in an Anglo neighbourhood. Many wealthy Olim were very successful in integrating here and their children live full Israeli lives, but among those who struggled the most and their children never really felt connected and they relied most on their fellow Anglos long term were those who constantly flew back and forth and tried to live with American lifestyle and products here (the grocery shopping in the US is a very apt example). Most people were successful, but it can be a pitfall as well. Just be aware of it.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 4:00 am
I know a family in which one spouse had a commuting job (2 weeks in the US/2 weeks in Israel, repeat forever).

The commuting spouse used to schlepp back to Israel frozen MEAT in her luggage. Which is interesting when your fight gets canceled and you are stuck over Shabbat in an airport hotel.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 4:02 am
DrMom wrote:
I know a family in which one spouse had a commuting job (2 weeks in the US/2 weeks in Israel, repeat forever).

The commuting spouse used to schlepp back to Israel frozen MEAT in her luggage. Which is interesting when your fight gets canceled and you are stuck over Shabbat in an airport hotel.

I'm not sure that is even legal.

salt

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 4:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You mean is it better to come as a poor refugee than as a proud 'oleh' head held high? Why would you think that!
Of course best to come when it's easy - why wait till you have no choice.
In benching we plead
ותוליכינו קוממיות לארצינו

chanchy123

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 4:03 am
DrMom wrote:

Funny lore in our family. My Savta brought a huge roast for the entire family for a three day Rosh Hashana - Elal lost her suitcase, which was returned to her only after the chag - gross. This must have been in the eighties.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 4:37 am
"Making aliyah with money" makes for a lot easier thread than "Making aliyah with teens" lol

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 4:48 am
We came with an excellent job and some savings but weren't able to sell our house in the US for 2 years. We spent a lot if money on mortgage payments while housing prices took a deep fall. In the end, we bought a small house, have a small mortgage, bought a car and dh had his great job for a few years.

Since then, finances are much tighter and it's not easy but we realize how great it is here that the feeling of not being able to be anywhere else was formed. We didn't have that in the beginning at all. We just wanted to raise our kids here and be part of the land of the Jewish people.

So, you can come with money and little ideology but stay here for good with a little money and lots of passion for the amazing place we are privileged to reside in. Hopefully, the money will keep on coming but once you make it your life to stay here, the money aspect won't be as important. I'm actually way happier here with my situation now as I've weaned myself away from depending on certain material things to give me happiness.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 6:07 am
Money won't buy you happiness, but it will make the adjustment a lot more comfortable.

The very best thing you bring with you on Aliyah, is your attitude. If you aren't committed to being an Israeli, you are going to have a very hard time no matter how rich you are.

Money will help if you don't want to bring a lift, and you want all new furniture when you arrive. Spend money in Israel, our economy needs it! Learn to love local brands. We have yummy food and good heksherim.

Money will also buy extra Hebrew tutoring for the family, especially the kids. The faster you learn Hebrew, the happier you will be. Honestly, the one piece of advice I always give to people who are considering Aliyah, is to start learning Hebrew NOW! Even if it's just some very small, basic things. The more comfortable you are with it, the better.

You can move to certain communities and never need to speak Hebrew, but many government forms, websites, etc. do not have an English option. Google Translate is spotty at best, and sometimes downright hilarious - but not always helpful.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions