Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Making aliyah with money
Previous  1  2

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 3:47 am
The bottom line is

ארץ ישראל נקנה ביסורים.

The money can ease your way, but don't count on it being smooth sailing all the time. הקב'ה has plenty of ways to help us adapt to our new country.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 4:13 am
Jobs don't last forever. What's the plan if your husband's job doesn't last (he gets fired, company closes, whatever)? I wouldn't come unless I had a backup plan, as a just in case.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 4:44 am
That could apply to local job just as well. You lose one job, you look for another.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 8:28 am
Thank you all. I guess that sort of confirmed what I wanted to hear. Everyone talks about how hard it is, but most of the problems sound like they could be solved with money. (My favorite O'Henry story always was "Mammon and the Archer" LOL )We definitely have always wanted to live in Israel, but as ora_43 put it, not if it's like crawling up a hill of broken glass! Very Happy
We actually live well below our means in a poorer neighborhood now, so I'm not thrilled about living amongst rich people Very Happy but we do have a decent sized house so I'm not ready to squeeze into an apartment!

We have teens too, so it remains to be seen if we can work that out!

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 8:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you all. I guess that sort of confirmed what I wanted to hear. Everyone talks about how hard it is, but most of the problems sound like they could be solved with money. (My favorite O'Henry story always was "Mammon and the Archer" LOL )We definitely have always wanted to live in Israel, but as ora_43 put it, not if it's like crawling up a hill of broken glass! Very Happy
We actually live well below our means in a poorer neighborhood now, so I'm not thrilled about living amongst rich people Very Happy but we do have a decent sized house so I'm not ready to squeeze into an apartment!

Apartments are kinda nice. When I lived in the USA whenever I went up or downstairs in our 3 floor house my mom would always yell "TAKE A LAUNDRY BASKET!"

Laundry was on bottom floor - bedroom on top.

It's nice that everything is close and convenient. I like the minimalism. You learn to have less because you don't have physical room to simply to store piles of stuff or a toy room to hold 50 different toys. Kids will have 5-10 toys/games and will be happy.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 9:22 am
Elfrida wrote:
That could apply to local job just as well. You lose one job, you look for another.

Except if your willingness to make Aliyah is based on having a $100k income and then a) the dollar tanks and your living on 65k or b) you lose the job and can only get a local one where you earn 65k- that's not a recipe for a successful Aliyah. It's great to have that kind of income and live in Israel, and unless you are 100% sure you can find a similar income in a different job, you have to be open to the possibility that after a few years you may need to live on less.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:36 am
The having teens makes this much more complicated - but it's still doable IF they are on board.
If not you really are asking for trouble - and it doesn't matter how much $$$$ you have.
Also kdai to consider that some of them may end up choosing to go back to the states once they are young adults/married.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 11:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

No, OP, I think most replies have been showing you that money definitely helps but that NO, money will not solve all problems or difficulties when making aliyah.
Its a shock, a culture shock and no money can help with that at all. Im just being honest.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 1:46 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I would gladly trade places with you. I want to make Aliyah but we don’t have enough money.

Shake hands!! Also see my P.S. The biggest heartache is that wherever the Anglo culture is (and where all conveniences are), that's where it has become a fortune. On top of that I'm middle-aged, with no support, no social security, and may have even less money than you, Goldenrod. I also don't know how the heck to transfer money there prior to moving, which is what I require to make a go of it (long story, don't ask). I'm afraid money-transfer costs a fortune, and I don't even have a bank account set up there. They charge you for every transaction, unlike banks here.

Most places I've turned for the past few months of attempting Aliyah-chozer - I've run into a brick wall. Going in circles, non-responses, no answer at consulate for renewing Israeli passport, or delayed responses which then merely refer me elsewhere. Constant, constant websites which start out in English, but with all their links leading you to Hebrew sites. I don't know Hebrew well, nor how to type Hebrew, having not mastered Hebrew keyboard. No time for that now, as there's too much else to do!!

If I had a certain amount of money as a safety-net, most of what I typed here would be irrelevant, because I'd easily hire others to help me, and I'd have a wide choice of apts. from million dollar developers who welcome the monied with open arms. That's why the pasuk that "E"Y niknes b'yesurim", excuse me, does not apply to all. Not these days!

P.S. Goldenrod, this may act as balm to you. In one of R'Mendel Kessin's very-recent 21st Century lectures, he speculates that Trump's tafkid in this world is to pave the way for the ruchniyut of klal yisrael, and that Trump has already made a start, by releasing territories in E"Y. If I recall, he acknowledged that so many people can't afford the high cost of living in E"Y, and he spoke about the enormous amount of red tape which olim face, and so he speculates that was part of Trump's tafkid (or something to that effect) He subsequently went on to say that it can go either way. Either the bright side, with Trump winning, or else the other way, which I won't elaborate.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions