Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Schoolbag for Beis Yaakov high school

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 1:34 am
Posting anonymously because for some reason when it comes to discussing family members with chronic diseases, I'm comfortable, but discussing not being cool enough to parent a teenage girl? That is scary!!!

Anyway:

Oldest daughter starting high school in Israel in September. Of course no backpacks allowed.

What bag should I get her?

Where to find it?

Kipling is still in, right?

I want her to have a bag big enough to hold all her school things, but I'm informed that "no one does that" and she'll be carrying her klasserim (binders) loose in one hand, and bag on the other shoulder.

Help!

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 1:46 am
It seems an illogical system, but having all that weight on one shoulder is neither comfortable nor healthy. I can't help with brands, but the girls I see on the bus all seem to have fairly small bags. I always assume the bags contain the essentials that they'll need in almost every class, and then they switch folders as necessary.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 2:07 am
Oy, a bruch. What’s wrong with backpacks? This is a first, didn’t hear this one yet!

eileengray

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 2:09 am
Herschel supply is also a popular brand. Their bags are light and trendy.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 3:02 am
Surplus wrote:
Oy, a bruch. What’s wrong with backpacks? This is a first, didn’t hear this one yet!

The straps on backpacks tend to pull back and stretch the fabric of ones shirt rather tightly over the upper chest area. The buttons may gape, and ones figure is made rather more prominent.

That's the standard at Beis Ya'akov in Israel. I can never make up my mind whether I agree with it or think it's too extreme. For the record I use a backpack but in mixed company tend to leave it over one shoulder. On a longer walk I wear it properly.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 3:05 am
Elfrida wrote:
The straps on backpacks tend to pull back and stretch the fabric of ones shirt rather tightly over the upper chest area. The buttons may gape, and ones figure is made rather more prominent.

That's the standard at Beis Ya'akov in Israel. I can never make up my mind whether I agree with it or think it's too extreme. For the record I use a backpack but in mixed company tend to leave it over one shoulder. On a longer walk I wear it properly.

Thanks for the explanation. My high school uniform calls for a sweater over the shirt (up until the last day of school in June) and knapsacks are ok. Go figure (pun intended)!

amother
White

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 4:46 am
My daughter and most of her 9th grade class in a chareidi high school in Israel has Kipling this year.

salt

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 2:45 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
My daughter and most of her 9th grade class in a chareidi high school in Israel has Kipling this year.

Aren't Kipling very expensive - as in ~700 shekels, or are you talking about Kipling-style, but not original Kipling?
My DD said many girls order Kipling-like bags from Aliexpress, but I'm nervous to do that, since first of all, it make take a few months to arrive, and secondly, it may end up being not quite as expected.
Has anyone done that before, and have any links to post?

amother
White

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 2:52 am
I was lucky enough to order one from Amazon for $50 last year and have someone bring it. A lot of her friends did that, but it's harder obviously now!
Some of her Israeli friends got them from various sales, most paid less than 300 nis. Kiping has an Israeli site you can try, usually a bunch of things are on sale.
Otherwise, you're right, it shouldn't be too hard to find a cheaper knockoff, you don't have to order from AliExpress, they have them at various bag stores all over.
Good luck!

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 3:36 am
salt wrote:
Aren't Kipling very expensive - as in ~700 shekels, or are you talking about Kipling-style, but not original Kipling?
My DD said many girls order Kipling-like bags from Aliexpress, but I'm nervous to do that, since first of all, it make take a few months to arrive, and secondly, it may end up being not quite as expected.

Kipling bags are expensive but durable. Mine looks brand new and I've had it for 20 years! Not one tear and no zipper issues! Money well spent!

salt

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 3:41 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Kipling bags are expensive but durable. Mine looks brand new and I've had it for 20 years! Not one tear and no zipper issues! Money well spent!

Yes but school kids can decide they don't like their bag after 2 years and want a new one.
I would definitely buy an expensive durable bag for myself, and keep it for 20 years, but I wouldn't spend that amount on a 14 year old, who will one year, buy a pink bag, and then the following year, buy a red coat, and then decide her pink bag doesn't match her coat, and therefore she needs a new bag Smile

Simple1

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 7:29 am
salt wrote:

I don't live in Israel and maybe it's different there. But my daughters feel it's better to buy a nice item in it's own right rather than a name brand copy. I guess they don't want to be seen as a "wannabe." This is for older kids. Younger kids it's ok because they're not yet into name brands.

Last edited by Simple1 on Tue, Jun 30 2020, 7:38 am; edited 2 times in total

Simple1

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 7:35 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:

I didn't have such good luck. It didn't tear or break, except for the monkey. But I couldn't get it clean, particularly the bottom which sits on the floor. So it didn't look new the second year of use. But I didn't pay too much for it- 40 at TJMAXX.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 7:53 am
salt wrote:
Yes but school kids can decide they don't like their bag after 2 years and want a new one.
I would definitely buy an expensive durable bag for myself, and keep it for 20 years, but I wouldn't spend that amount on a 14 year old, who will one year, buy a pink bag, and then the following year, buy a red coat, and then decide her pink bag doesn't match her coat, and therefore she needs a new bag Smile

I was that 14 year old 20 years ago:), and I still use the bag!

Of course this is not the only bag I ever had, but I use it pretty regularly!

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 7:55 am
Simple1 wrote:
I didn't have such good luck. It didn't tear or break, except for the monkey. But I couldn't get it clean, particularly the bottom which sits on the floor. So it didn't look new the second year of use. But I didn't pay too much for it- 40 at TJMAXX.

I just put mine in the washing machine whenever it's dirty, you can use one of those bags to put the bag inside

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 8:35 am
wow that's a riot. kiplings are totally elementary school in the US, and they are no longer considered very trendy either....I would donate them to my Israeli relatives, except they are all backpacks. I have at least 3 that are gathering dust.....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children