Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Help me with BLACK HAT FOR MY SON

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 9:58 am
I'm looking to get a black hat(yeshivish) for my son.

The only one I heard of is borsalino whichvis very expensive.

I have searched on the internet and found cheaper equivalent hats.

But, the sizes were out of stock.

So, I want to search more companies online.

I am looking for size 6 3/4 (54-55 cm).

Does anyone know the name of companies of black hats besides borsalino?

Thank you.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:11 am
Can you go to a store? Hat box?

doctorima

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:36 am
There's Ferster, Brandolino, and I'm sure many more. Try calling a store like Kova or Ferster, and I'm sure they can help you. I also remember a website from a few years ago of a new hat being advertised for much cheaper (like $50). Maybe somebody remembers and can post the link?

malki2

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:46 am
I’m not usually into spending a lot of money on something, but it seems like the Borsalinos really keep their shape over time compared to the other brands. There is also a “cheaper” Borsalino that runs for around $200, so you don’t need to get the most expensive one. So you are basically paying 2-300 for better quality as opposed to ~$150-180 for lesser quality which you will need to replace sooner. My sons who got Borsalinos definitely held onto their hats for about 2 years longer than the one who didn’t. And the hat also looked better throughout.

keym

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 11:07 am
malki2 wrote:
I’m not usually into spending a lot of money on something, but it seems like the Borsalinos really keep their shape over time compared to the other brands. There is also a “cheaper” Borsalino that runs for around $200, so you don’t need to get the most expensive one. So you are basically paying 2-300 for better quality as opposed to ~$150-180 for lesser quality which you will need to replace sooner. My sons who got Borsalinos definitely held onto their hats for about 2 years longer than the one who didn’t. And the hat also looked better throughout.

Depends on the age of the kid.
Making a bar mitzvah now, and I was specifically recommended NOT to get Borsalino for a boy under 16/17 because their head is still growing, and they will outgrow their hat.

ruchelbuckle

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 11:36 am
The company with the cheaper hats someone mentioned is yeshivishhats.com based out Rochester NY

There is a huge difference in quality and longevity between the $60 hats from there and a Borsalino ($300+). That being said, I don’t think there is anything wrong with a $60 hat.

I would not get a borsalino for a bar mitzvah boy. One, he is still growing. Two, styles change (even with hats), etc. three- with the amount of traveling these kids do- camp, yeshiva, it can easily get lost, damaged, etc...... Get him a cheap hat or an in-between one.

No doubt that these are hard to find online. Would you consider flying in somewhere for the day to buy one? You can get inexpensive tickets on Frontier or southwest, so you can go to Brooklyn/Lakewood/Chicago and try one on.

If not, I would call a branch of the Hat Box— I would likely call the Baltimore or Chicago store as my guess is that they have more experience dealing with out of town customers and can more likely help you.

malki2

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 11:48 am
keym wrote:
Depends on the age of the kid.
Making a bar mitzvah now, and I was specifically recommended NOT to get Borsalino for a boy under 16/17 because their head is still growing, and they will outgrow their hat.

IDK. Head circumference really grows very little if at all during the teenage years. It’s not like body growth. You can get the hat a tiny drop big and they stick a piece of padding inside the inner band and it can be removed later.

yOungM0mmy

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 2:30 pm
I got my son a $35 black hat on Amazon. Not paying anything close to Borsalino prices for him to lose on the train, for a younger sibling to sit on it, for someone in school to throw it around... the only visible difference is that it's a smaller brim, and he's far from the only one in his school with the same type - a mother of another kid who did get borsalino style then messaged to ask where I got it from, her kid looks ridiculous with the massive brim. Even my husband started wearing the Amazon one as well.

keym

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 2:54 pm
yOungM0mmy wrote:
I got my son a $35 black hat on Amazon. Not paying anything close to Borsalino prices for him to lose on the train, for a younger sibling to sit on it, for someone in school to throw it around... the only visible difference is that it's a smaller brim, and he's far from the only one in his school with the same type - a mother of another kid who did get borsalino style then messaged to ask where I got it from, her kid looks ridiculous with the massive brim. Even my husband started wearing the Amazon one as well.

Link please.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 2:56 pm
yOungM0mmy wrote:

Sounds great! Can you post a link to it?

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 3:00 pm
There are cheaper brands than Borsalino, about $150. Go into a hat store and ask for the cheaper hats. They are much better quality than Amazon oats- I bought one of those for sleepaway camp.

yOungM0mmy

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 5:36 pm
keym wrote:
Link please.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pr.....psc=1
Depending which group you're from, you want your brim more up or down, we are Chabad and wear it down. I ordered another one first which DH said the brim wasn't down enough, so returned that and he was happy with this one. But I'm in the UK, so not sure that this helps you...

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 6:55 pm
We were very happy with yeshivishhats

https://www.yeshivishhats.com/

giselle

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 6:59 pm
I would be hesitant to buy a hat online. Doesn’t your son want to try it on? Where are you located?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 7:50 pm
Bencraft Hats has been very helpful to me family, living out of town, and finding and shipping ones to our specifications. We got in the 150 range, very nice yeshivish hats.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 7:54 pm
I havent been there in 15 years , so I dont know if they are still around

There used to be a place in Jersey City that was a factory that sold hats wholesalle

thanks

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 8:36 pm
giselle wrote:
I would be hesitant to buy a hat online. Doesn’t your son want to try it on? Where are you located?

It's like all online shopping. No different than shoes, sneakers, clothing, etc. You try it at home, and return it if it's no good. Easy.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 8:43 pm
There is a store in Lakewood called NE Crane. They sell shirts, pants etc and some hats. I think older style Borsalino. Could be you can add for pics and they will send

Mollie

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 8:46 pm
Go with the Borsalino, my son has it 5 years and still looks great. They last, as opposed to other brands

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 11:12 am
Mollie wrote:
Go with the Borsalino, my son has it 5 years and still looks great. They last, as opposed to other brands

ONLY if he is a responsible boy that doesnt take a 250 dollar hat and leave it in the airport or a ride from BP
Or leaves it on his bed in dorm and someone sits on it
Some boys fight and step on each others hats
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics