Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
How do you pick a name if you can’t agree to a name
Previous  1  2  3

pause

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 4:39 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
Mirel is a nickname for Miriam.

It's not.
Miri is a nickname for both Mirel and Miriam.

Moonlight

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 4:47 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
You can’t really plan if there is no pregnancy or gender now. Let’s say you have your next baby during the week of Purim? Very likely you will want to name the baby Esther or Mordechai. Or let’s say you have a boy the week we read the Torah about moshe rabeinu being born? You might choose the name moshe. Or yocheved for a girl...
if you’re not naming after anyone wait and see when the next baby will arrive.

This. I totally had a name planned for my baby for 7 months and then she ended up born on a fast day and I felt it would be appropriate to call her nechama even though I would never have thought of it.

sky

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 5:11 pm
Planning names doesn’t always work.
DH and I had names picked out in advance almost every time and we changed the name almost every time - for diff reasons every time.

Like all 3 of my boys were going to be yehoshua and for diff reasons it just never happened...

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 6:10 pm
DH really wanted to name our daughter Rus after the biblical person. I said ok because it was also my grandmother's name, but I didn't like it as is and I wanted to use it as a middle name. For first names he liked Tzipora, I liked either Elisheva (after another relative) or Nechama (comfort after our infertility journey). So she came very close to being named "Nechama Rus" but our Rebbe didn't like it (we're also chassidish) and eventually we settled on Nechama Elisheva and still hope to use Rus someday.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 6:26 pm
It depends on your situation and personalities and relationship.

My husband wanted to name our firstborn after his father, who was Not a Good Person - I know only what DH told me, as his father died years ago, but there was NO QUESTION that this man was a rasha.

I had other ideas of how I wanted to name. PLENTY of other ideas - none after family.

But my husband was SO amazing letting me make all the decisions during pregnancy that I really wanted to give him this name. So I thought about it for a Loooonnnng time, and thought that adding a name would make me feel better. So, I asked a Rav, who said it was no problem to name after a rasha (Lubavitch), and I could add as many names as I wanted - "one, two, five - whatever you want." lol!

So we named after my husband's father and my grandfather. Both names are his legal first name "***** *****].

behappy2

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 7:04 pm
List of semi common names

Shira
Tamar
Fraida or Freidel
Basya
Shoshana
Nechama
Mindel
Toba
Perel
Pesel
Shaina
Shifra
Tova
Naomi

(If I think of more I will add)

Combinations can also be very unique even if both names are common
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names