Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Easy quick veggie food preparations

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 7:14 pm
I’m not a vegetarian but I love vegetables. I gained weight and need to lose so I’m looking into cutting on bread and sugar and focusing my meals on lots of vegetables. I can make fresh salads but I need more ideas for veggie food preparations. I need something that won’t take me so long to prepare because then I know I’ll end up eating something quick unhealthy when hungry. Is it a good investment to buy instapot and does it steam veggies quickly? Any ideas? I also love soup but that also takes time.

greentea

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 7:28 pm
Personally I love roasted veggies and if you cut the pieces on the smaller side they can be ready pretty quickly. Roasting caramelizes the natural sugars and with some well placed salt/herbs/spices you can have some truly delicious veg.

Use heavy bottomed sheet pans line with parchment paper for great results and quick cleanup. Foil pans don't do as good a job getting that deep color you are looking for. Also meal prep is your friend. You can roast a bunch of pans of veggies on Sunday and creatively use the results on top of salads/whole grain bowls/alongside a protein for a full meal. Build your meals around veggies and let them be the star.

Use a good quality olive oil spray to get flavoring to stick. The kind that is just olive oil and no propellants.

Some of my favorite combinations

Purple cabbage steaks (buy a head, remove 4 outer leaves, check for signs of bugs, slice into steaks) with everything but the bagel spice 425 for around 15 mins)

Green beans- salt, pepper, roast - then toss with 2 garlic cubes, 2 parsley cubes and some lemon zest

Cauliflower- salt, cumin, turmeric, smoked paprika, coriander

Colored Carrots with Zaatar- drizzle with tahini when done. (yum)

Broccoli- garlic, balsamic a little honey

Of course you can mix and match spices and flavorings to suit your palate.

ETA - Not a fan of instantpot for veggies
It does cook them quickly but I find they come out wilted or bland. Maybe I just don't do it correctly though... Some people are IP gurus.

sky

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 7:36 pm
I do a tremendous amount of frozen veggies. I stock up on whatever is on sale and for supper throw a bag in the oven with spices - broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, sugar snap peas, Italian blend, California blend, sliced peppers, cauliflower rice.

Many times I’ll throw in canned veggies like mushrooms or baby corn.

Baby carrots and chummus.

English cucumbers or Persian cucumbers sliced.

Pre-cooked and peeled beets.

Frumme

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 7:39 pm
I love all of Sapphire's suggestions!

I also like to buy (thin, snack size) baby carrots, snap or sugar peas, mini bell peppers, etc and snack on them throughout the day. I buy the mini size containers of guacamole or hummus for portion control if I'm in the mood to "dip" my veggies.

Do you have a rice cooker? Many of those come with a steamer. Sometimes we steam broccoli/bok choy/etc at the same time we cook rice.

Teomima

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 9:35 pm
You will quickly get bored if you focus on salads and steamed veggies.

Roasted veggies (little tip: a splash of balsamic before roasting greatly livens up almost any veggie), pickled/fermented veggies, and stir fries (less actual cooking time than steaming veggies and despite having the word "fry" in the name, actually uses little to no oil) are the way to go, in my experience
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise