Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Are high-risk group Imas taking cabs, Ubers?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 4:53 pm
I'm in the high-risk group. So far I haven't had to go to a doctor or dentist out of walking distance, b"h. But if I did, c"v, I couldn't be sure of having someone available to drive me. I'm wondering if high-risk group Imas in the New York City area taking cabs or Ubers. TIA.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 4:55 pm
No.

What are your other options?

amother
Magenta

I BH have a car.

If I didn't I would make sure to get myself an N95 without a filter and wear it if going in a car was unavoidable.

amother
Navy

Short of driving in your own vehicle, a taxi or Uber is your safest bet. All I’ve Been in have a huge partition between passenger and driver. Wear your mask, wash your hands when you get to your destination

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 4:56 pm
agree about the mask but what do you mean without a filter?

and n95 are pretty much impossible to get now ime

tho if you have a source lmk would love to buy some

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 4:56 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:

What are your other options?

I'd have to ask at shul for someone to drive me.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 6:06 pm

They're now available on Ebay. Not cheap, but available. Depending on how many you buy, the going rate is $10-$15 per mask. Far more than the cost 6 months ago, but it may be the best money you ever spent if it keeps you healthy.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 6:27 pm

I bought the KN95 masks from this source after a lot of research. The Powecom brand is FDA approved and they are an authorized distributor. They are sold in 10 order minimum but each is $2.95.

The KN95 is the Asian version of the N95 so is as protective but there are more of them available to purchase in this format. There are minor differences but both are rated to filter out 95%.

https://bonafidemasks.com/

I also bought face shields from them. I researched as well and there are sources indicating they are as good as masks and far more comfortable. I would wear both a mask and the shield in a high risk environment like Uber. The shield protects your eyes which is a possible entry point for the virus.

Bring hand sanitizer and a spray bottle of alcohol or disinfectant so that you can wipe everything down as much as possible like seat belts. Avoid touching your face. This shield is good at stopping you from fiddling with your face and mask. Medical personnel wear a mask and shield.

Keep car windows open as there is much evidence that ventilated spaces are safer since virus load will not accumulate.

Ask the medical provider what precautions they are taking. Some are having people wait until called to minimize bodies in the waiting room.

Here is an article discussing the benefits of a shield

https://www.aarp.org/health/he......html

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 6:56 pm
We do not want the Asian knockoffs
does anyone have a link to legit n95 masks?

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 6:59 pm
We do not want the Asian knockoffs
does anyone have a link to legit n95 masks?

These are not Asian knockoffs. They are FDA approved. There are counterfeit N95 on the market but these are legitimate manufacturers.

KN95 is used in Asia.

Please do some research on technical specifications for KN95 versuS N95 before you make uniformed statements. They are functionally equivalent.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 7:43 pm
simply we want to buy american

just asking if anyone has info on that

not opinions on our choice

(was not responding to specific post)

tia

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:21 pm
simply we want to buy american

just asking if anyone has info on that

not opinions on our choice

(was not responding to specific post)

tia

You stated that you weren't interested in "Asian knockoffs" which would be reasonably interpreted to mean you were worried about quality of a counterfeit mask as opposed to wanting to specifically support US manufacturers - e.g. made in the US.

My response was to assure posters that the quality of KN95 and N95 - assuming they are made by an FDA approved manufacturer would be equivalent and would protect someone who was concerned about the effectiveness of a face covering.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics