Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Ds w ADHD really negative reaction to 2 stimulants pls help!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 9:38 pm
Please help, I am new to this.... 6 year old ds recently diagnosed with adhd. Highly impulsive, extremely low frustration tolerance, disregulated, plus focusing difficulties.

Dr first put him on a Metadate?, which he said is like a long acting ritalin. It made him turn into a monster- he was going crazy, yelling, screaming, throwing himself on the floor, it was such a nebach. So we took him off and the dr prescribed Vyvanse. Same reaction. We were going crazy with him, counting down the hours till it wore off...

now what? Obviously I will call the dr, but wanted to hear from some experienced mothers...

Does this mean stimulants aren't for him? Or keep trying other meds in this category?

Is this common to react like this?

Thank you so much...

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:12 pm
Call the doctor Mayb the dose. Also Sometimes these meds are given together with another med to help balance it out.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:14 pm
Try the mildest stimulant, I think regular short acting Ritalin. I had reactions to stimulants and that one worked for me. Try it on the lowest dose.

yy

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:15 pm
Ritalin was terrible for my son. Concerta worked wonders

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:16 pm
Mayb the dose is too high to start off with

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:17 pm
Talking straight from my heart now
I know it’s sooooooo HARD
I have my own adorable challenged package Bh
I’d rather invest in cranial & natural supplements even if it’s $$$$$$$ which we don’t have:/
Hatslacha in wtvr u do !may you find the right shliach

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:18 pm
yy wrote:
Ritalin was terrible for my son. Concerta worked wonders

Everyone's body chemistry is different, you just have to keep trying different ones. Concerta gave me heart palpitations.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 11:03 pm
You can pull him off stimulants and try intuniv, if he can swallow a pill. It is really great for regulating moods and impulsivity. If he can't swallow, you can try straterra, which come sin capsules tg hat can be opened. Stimulants make my kids crazy.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 12:08 am
Lower the dose and don’t use the long acting pill. Instead have him take 2 low dose 4 hour pills, one in morning and a second one in afternoon if needed.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 12:09 am
Thank you so much for the responses.

As far as the dose, both of them started at the smallest dose, 10 mg each.

I will definitely call the dr tomorrow.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 12:25 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
I’d rather invest in cranial & natural supplements even if it’s $$$$$$$ which we don’t have:/

Can you please be more specific? I’ve tried natural supplements. Did nothing. Two kids with adhd. Would love to hear more. Thanks!!

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 12:41 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Can you please be more specific? I’ve tried natural supplements. Did nothing. Two kids with adhd. Would love to hear more. Thanks!!
finally focused by dr James greenblatt and healing the 4a disorders by dr Kenneth bock are great books to start with.

Which supplements did u try?

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 1:03 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:

Cranial therapy helped your ADHD child? Which therapist did you use?

imasinger

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 7:01 am
Was he like that all day on the metadate, or just part of the day?

The reason there are several medications for ADHD is because many people do great on one, and terrible on another.

It's probably worth it to keep trying, and also to try non prescription options, like Nurtured Heart approach, charts, lots of exercise, neurofeedback, Feingold diet, essential oils.

I hope you find some solutions that work!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 1:27 pm
imasinger wrote:
Was he like that all day on the metadate, or just part of the day?

The reason there are several medications for ADHD is because many people do great on one, and terrible on another.

It's probably worth it to keep trying, and also to try non prescription options, like Nurtured Heart approach, charts, lots of exercise, neurofeedback, Feingold diet, essential oils.

I hope you find some solutions that work!

Yes, all day.

Thank you, will keep trying!

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 1:42 pm
Find a functional medical dr to figure out the root cause. And guide you in treating at that level. Usually with adhd some of the root causes are methylation issues, poor gut health, food sensitivities, brain inflammation, chronic infections like strep (pandas), yeast overgrowth, metal toxicity, mineral Imbalances, nutrient deficiencies.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 6:21 pm
stimulants tend to highlight the child's senses. he might find the new tingly feeling to be a sensory overload.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 8:18 pm
I would try a non stimulant. Many people are finding it works much better without negative side effects.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 10:01 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Find a functional medical dr to figure out the root cause. And guide you in treating at that level. Usually with adhd some of the root causes are methylation issues, poor gut health, food sensitivities, brain inflammation, chronic infections like strep (pandas), yeast overgrowth, metal toxicity, mineral Imbalances, nutrient deficiencies.

Who does this? is it mainstream? and most importantly, does it work?

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 10:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Who does this? is it mainstream? and most importantly, does it work?
functional medicine is done by real medical doctors who have extra training in uncovering and treating root causes. Sometimes they use allopathic medicine to treat, sometimes alternative, and sometimes a combination. There is a level of trial and error here, and things take time, these aren’t quick fixes, and kids respond differently to different things, but at the end of the day it’s an approach that works on fixing causes and many people see amazing results. The two books I mentioned upthread can give you a good idea of what this would look like.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)