Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Would you let this age kids walk home themselves?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 9:14 am
7 & 6 year old boys together. The bus stops at the corner. We are four houses from the corner and on the second floor, in a frum neighborhood. Camp started a few days ago and I always wait for the bus. I'm eight months pregnant, have a toddler and preschooler and yesterday when a neighbor saw me shleping everyone out to go wait in the heat, she asked why I dont just let them come home themselves. The boys have been begging to be allowed to do that as well. Is that safe for me to do?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 9:19 am
I would absolutely let two school-age kids walk down the block together without me.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 9:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
7 & 6 year old boys together. The bus stops at the corner. We are four houses from the corner and on the second floor, in a frum neighborhood. Camp started a few days ago and I always wait for the bus. I'm eight months pregnant, have a toddler and preschooler and yesterday when a neighbor saw me shleping everyone out to go wait in the heat, she asked why I dont just let them come home themselves. The boys have been begging to be allowed to do that as well. Is that safe for me to do?

They are not walking home alone, they are just walking down the street so I fail to see why they cant do that alone especially if they are together and dont have to cross the street. If you are scared then watch from the window or from downstairs for a few days so you can get used to it. You can always give them a phone just in case.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 9:22 am
Yes I would also. As long as they are generally welbehaved and not impulsive.

flmommy

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 9:22 am
I think I would stand in my doorway and wait for them. I do not think it would be irresponsible to let them walk if you decide to do that.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 9:24 am
I wouldn't feel comfortable. What if they missed the bus and they don't know that, it comes late and they have to hang out on the corner by themselves, if someone approaches them?
How will you know they actually got on the bus?
Maybe the neighbor can watch your toddler and preschooler while you go or offer to wait on the corner with your 6&7 year old.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Jul 01 2020, 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 9:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Are u able to watch from your terrace or window?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 9:25 am
Ok thanks! They are my oldest kids so I wasnt sure, I'm so used to always watching them. Great to know that they are old enough for that!

gold21

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 9:26 am
You can watch from your open window if the bus stop is in your line of vision. Just stick your head out and wait for the bus.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 9:27 am
ra_mom wrote:
I wouldn't feel comfortable. What if they missed the bus and they don't know that, it comes late and they have to hang out on the corner by themselves, if someone approaches them?
Maybe the neighbor can watch your toddler and preschooler while you go or offer to wait on the corner with your 6&7 year old.

It sounds like she’s letting them walk home at the end of the day, not leaving in the morning. Op, I would totally let them.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 9:27 am
My kids bus stops at the corner and they get off themselves. I look out the window or doorway.
If you live 4 houses from the corner I'd definitely let them walk home themselves but I'd look out a door or window if possible.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 9:28 am
ra_mom wrote:

Do you feel this way for the way home also?

The mornings I will always wait. Sometimes my husband is still home so he can take them (depending on the day of the week) and even when not, at least is not so hot then.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 9:29 am
gold21 wrote:
You can watch from your open window if the bus stop is in your line of vision. Just stick your head out and wait for the bus.

The way my windows are, I would not be able to see Sad

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 9:35 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
You can always give them a phone just in case.

The place they are going to wouldnt allow it.

Also if it makes a difference, the seven year old just turned seven, but he is pretty responsible...

It would make things soooo much easier to just allow them to walk but of course I would only do it if its safe. Thanks for all your opinions. I will think it over some more, but think maybe I will let them try.

happy chick

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 9:43 am
You have to know your children. I would prob let my 5 year old walk alone faster than my 8 yr old. Lol
But, yes, I would let my kids come in alone from the corner. Especially that they're together.
ETA maybe watch from across the street for a day or two (they shouldn't know you're watching). Might be difficult oi you're shlepping w the 2 little ones.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 9:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The place they are going to wouldnt allow it.

Also if it makes a difference, the seven year old just turned seven, but he is pretty responsible...

It would make things soooo much easier to just allow them to walk but of course I would only do it if its safe. Thanks for all your opinions. I will think it over some more, but think maybe I will let them try.

You can call the school and explain your situation and ask them to have the bus turn into the street to drop your kids off in front of your house or in the alternative allow them to have a cell phone in their backpack. It doesnt have to be a smartphone but could be a flip phone that allows you to program in all the emergency contact numbers you think they would need. But its four houses so it may be a little overdoing it especially since the 7 year old is responsible. Try having them do this for a few days while you watch from downstairs and see if you can let go a little once you see that the kids are capable of walking down the street or rather four houses on their own.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 9:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you feel this way for the way home also?

The mornings I will always wait. Sometimes my husband is still home so he can take them (depending on the day of the week) and even when not, at least is not so hot then.

I'd wait outside so I can see them, even if if means sitting in front of your house while your 2 little ones play.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 9:58 am
My oldests are also 7 and 6 (turning shortly), tho girls. Would totally let unless they specifically ask to wait for them. I would just tell them not to stay stuck outside/downstairs and come in/up right away. They feel super big when mommy makes them responsible.

Stars

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 10:10 am
I'm the epitome of a helicopter mom and I would allow this depending on the nature of the kids. You seem like a very responsible mom. If your gut tells you to trust them, do it.
I would not allow a 9& 6 year old walk all the way home from school but just down a half a block is totally fine.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 10:11 am
Dissenting vote. No way. They are not old enough to be taking care of themselves, which is what you're asking them to do, albeit for a short period of time. They are not old enough to have the impulse control not to run into the street if they drop something, and not old enough to cross safely. They are not old enough to reliably resist strangers who ask to help look for a lost puppy, or other such stuff.

The fact that you live in a "frum" neighborhood is irrelevant. There are plenty of "frum" criminals. And, in any case, the real risk is their actions, not anyone else's.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children