Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Aliya help RBS
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 5:55 am
I second the maon / mishpachton idea. They're direly in need of workers as all the time people are out because of suspected corona, going into bidud, sick and need to test themselves etc etc.... I know in my son's daycare it's a big issue.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 6:13 am
Maon is probably minimum wage. While it is a great idea for an interim job while op gets on her feet, maybe she can leverage her skills for something better long term.

OP, being an English speaker in Israel is a major advantage. Try to use that. There are writing/editing jobs for example (for some, you need to take courses beforehand).

You can even open your own private daycare where you speak only English. Charge more for that. (The caveat is that it does require some knowledge of the system to know how to operate your own daycare here, in terms of bureaucracy etc).

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 6:26 am
Maon is minimum wage and VERY exhausting. I was not a person for the rest of the day. It's also not the safest place with corona, and there's a lack of care and dysfunction in many maons.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 8:09 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Maon is probably minimum wage. While it is a great idea for an interim job while op gets on her feet, maybe she can leverage her skills for something better long term.

OP, being an English speaker in Israel is a major advantage. Try to use that. There are writing/editing jobs for example (for some, you need to take courses beforehand).

You can even open your own private daycare where you speak only English. Charge more for that. (The caveat is that it does require some knowledge of the system to know how to operate your own daycare here, in terms of bureaucracy etc).

What kind of courses? I am a fairly decent writer. I never finished my bachelor's degree. Is it necessary for this type of job?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 8:13 am
I know beggars can't be choosers but I don't think that being a daycare worker is my first choice in jobs. I do have experience working in a day care as a specialty doing baby yoga with the kids. Do daycares in Israel have that? And I work with a population that doesn't speak english.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 8:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know beggars can't be choosers but I don't think that being a daycare worker is my first choice in jobs. I do have experience working in a day care as a specialty doing baby yoga with the kids. Do daycares in Israel have that? And I work with a population that doesn't speak english.

I haven't encountered such a thing. Maybe in wealthier areas and that's why I haven't encountered it? Perhaps give baby yoga classes to groups through tipat chalav or something?

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 10:34 am
My daughter's gan has a music/rhythm teacher who comes in once a week and sings and dances with them. I don't know how many ganim she works in and what certification she has.
There's a woman in my neighborhood who does some sort of athletic therapy. She has a studio and runs after school chugim for different ages. She advertises as being a graduate of Wingate.
Seems like you need to build up a clientele (convince schools to hire you, convince parents to send to you) since you wouldn't be salaried at the schools.
There are subsidies from the kupot cholim for post-birth and pre-birth exercise, so it might be easier to attract those people than others.
I've seen gyms that offer fitness classes by different instructors, for teens and adults. If you aren't ready to start something from scratch, could you talk to gyms and ask if they're looking for instructors?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 11:16 am
Thanks everyone for their suggestions! I see that there are opportunities to build up a business. But at first that would have to be on the side. Or maybe always. Here in the US I started out doing exercise classes for adults and personal training. But it wasn't enough. I ended up becoming a full time gym teacher and doing some personal training on the side.

So I need a job that is a reliable income if my husband is going to be building up his business. He is planning on continuing to teach over zoom to his current clients until he builds himself up in Israel.

Is this the sort of thing you sort out when you arrive? It seems so scary to move to another country without a job. I feel like how can I put in an application to make aliya when neither of us has a job.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 11:22 am
Most of the ganim and schools here have enrichment. It used to be called Keren Karev in my day, maybe it still is. Things like music, introduction to animals, etc.

You could inquire and see if there's a demand for yoga. (You wouldn't be working independently, but as part of Keren Karev).

I'm not familiar with the field, but I know they are always looking for technical writers or content writers with native speaker English in the hi tech world. Maybe someone here knows more about the courses (I've seen them offered here and there).

chanchy123

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 11:37 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
I haven't encountered such a thing. Maybe in wealthier areas and that's why I haven't encountered it? Perhaps give baby yoga classes to groups through tipat chalav or something?
this certainly exists in Israel. Usually there is an extra class in day care centres, music dance animals but also yoga, especially in the more upscale areas.
I think one of my kids had baby yoga once at day care or was out music? (the younger ones didn’t have any extra classes) it wasn’t so expensive as far as I remember.

camp123

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 12:39 pm
Imo you could be lucky and find enough work doing personal training, chuggim and the occasional gym class in school. The problem is that you don't have money to fall back on if you don't get enough work. It's especially problematic bc your husband is also planning to be self employed with a field where he may put may not get enough clients. I think for the beginning you need at least one stable salary.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 12:49 pm
Sounds like starting as an employee as you build up your business might work.
Working for minimum wage could be that thing, no?
Aside from working in a daycare, what other minimum wage jobs are there? Driving/deliveries? Grocery jobs? Customer service?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 1:07 pm
camp123 wrote:
Imo you could be lucky and find enough work doing personal training, chuggim and the occasional gym class in school. The problem is that you don't have money to fall back on if you don't get enough work. It's especially problematic bc your husband is also planning to be self employed with a field where he may put may not get enough clients. I think for the beginning you need at least one stable salary.

You assessed the situation perfectly.

My hebrew is terrible. What are my options realistically? I never finished my bachelor's degree. I haven't worked in an office in 15 years.

camp123

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 1:18 pm
Post corona with unemployment so high I would think your options are much more limited. You could try and build up a portfolio of content writing. But again, you may have to be self employed to do that. Child care is your best bet for a stable income. You might find admin work in English, but in RBS I imagine there are a lot of people looking for English speaking jobs. I would speak to someone at nefesh bnefesh and see what they think. Also look at job advertisements now and see what's on offer.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 2:18 pm
I don’t know if you’d consider it but cleaning is always in demand and pays really well (not sure about RBS but many other places) It’s something you know you can fall on.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 2:43 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
I don’t know if you’d consider it but cleaning is always in demand and pays really well (not sure about RBS but many other places) It’s something you know you can fall on.

This is true, I did veeeery well from cleaning in Jerusalem. 60 NIS per hour at least. I only stopped when one sleazy so called 'disabled' husband (ie too lazy to work so made up some back injury) started staying at home when I was cleaning and would watch me from the sofa and started making comments about my backside. It was so offputting I stopped completely and got a different job.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 6:01 am
Happy birthday wrote:
Hi please pm I live on rbs to see what I cab help you with we came teenagers 7 children ranging from 16 to age 1

When I was rereading the thread I realized I missed your kind offer! Thanks so much! I will pm you IYH!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 6:04 am
chanchy123 wrote:

I don't want to sound like I'm turning up my nose at honest work, but you do realize the stigma of being a cleaning lady? I have teenagers. I think they'd be really embarrassed to have a mom who cleans houses for a living. They are used to a Mom who gives fun/cool classes.

Again, if we were starving I'd do it. But this is not a plan for me.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:31 am
Dh plays multiple instruments, and is part of a relatively successful band. Things to think about; bands are seasonal + means nights out. For us its supplementary income (we need that money but not for day to day paying the bills) so it's fine - he just doesn't take a gig if it doesn't work for us but if it was his main/only income it would be very difficult, a lot of hours.

Even more important - with such an unstable economy the first thing people canceled where private lessons. Again it hurt us but we can manage - but if it was the main income....

In general people with skills like yours tend to have a base job with a salary (look into medical billing/work from home from america) and then have the supplementary stuff....

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 4:10 pm
So I was talking to a friend who lives in Israel. She thought I should run an 18 month old babysitting group or 2 year old gan from my home.

She said it's always in demand.

Thoughts?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions