Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Human hair seized

srbmom

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 11:21 am
https://www.foxnews.com/politi.....china

Very curious to see if this has any connection to the frum wig businesses and how that plays out...

aliavi

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 11:26 am
Who knows? I would hope that when we buy wigs with a kosher certificate the source of the hair has been looked into. I don’t own a wig without a certificate and didn’t know it was a thing.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 11:29 am
So sad Sad but I dont think this is news. It’s been going on for years in India.

Frumme

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 1:27 pm
aliavi wrote:
Who knows? I would hope that when we buy wigs with a kosher certificate the source of the hair has been looked into. I don’t own a wig without a certificate and didn’t know it was a thing.

Honestly I don't trust wig "certificates"... It's certainly a marketing ploy. I once looked into an older, supposably reputable, brand and asked for their teudah. They happily sent a copy to me. Unfortunately, the Rav who was listed as the certifying Rabbi had been niftar for at least a year. It was very strange and ever since then, I don't hold wig kashrus certificates in very high regard.

Ora in town

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 1:31 pm
This might be the reason why Chinese wigs are so much cheaper than the others...

Rappel

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 1:33 pm
aliavi wrote:

Not really. Remy hair is extremely valuable, and the business of acquiring it and exporting it is very shady. Don't ask, don't tell.

Petra

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 1:53 pm
Frumme wrote:
Honestly I don't trust wig "certificates"... It's certainly a marketing ploy.

I agree with you.

RuralIma

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 3:32 pm
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought for a wig to be kosher it just had to have not been cut for ceremonial/ritualistic purposes? Nothing I've ever read about kosher wigs said anything about the conditions of the women selling their hair, or them being compensated fairly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics