Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
If ur tenants are happy- whats your secret??

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 6:59 pm
So I live in a home with a bsmt rental. My husband and I are nice easy people with 3 kids. Weve had 2 unhappy tenants so far - over the course of 7 years. They complained about different things. One was stingy and wanted to deduct rent everytime a lightbulb burnt out (not exaggerating). Complained about things in the apartment needing repairs etc. 2nd time around we did research to make sure we dont even up in the same sitch and I ended up with someone who complained about noise a few times a week at best. Im so burnt out but I have a small fam and keeping the rental vacant when I really dont need the space and can use the extra income just doesnt really make sense.
Dh and I are each the peacemakers in our respective families. I feel like its ironic that we ended up in this bad situation twice already.
So- if u have a good relationship with ur tenant, dare I say- you even like each other-!! Whats your secret?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 7:02 pm
We have them sign a lease about all repairs , wear and tear etc
We try to get our kids to play quietly in the morning, and go to sleep early at night...
It's a brocha from Hashem. This was just our hishtadlus.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 7:04 pm
It sounds like your tenant is the issue not you.
We had our share of dealing with a difficult tenant. All I can say is we are so glad not to be landlords anymore (ugh I hate that term). We sold, moved away and bought a 1 family home b"h.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 7:17 pm
Think my tenant actually likes us!!! A lot!!!
Here are some things we do that probably helps that the 3 tenants we so far had- were all happy.... we became great friends...
Any repairs- we take care of ASAP. (If it’s obviously their fault they typically agree to pay)
Rent a few days late- we’re gracious
Noise-we try to b careful- no bouncing balls/ noisy toys... kids will b careful where and when they plaY with it... - kids go to sleep early use and try to keep it down in the morning... we and kids are all very conscious about that fact that someone lives downstairs and we need to b careful....
Nice and friendly neighbor- smile/ greet/ shmooze/ lend out things with an easygoing attitude...

If we have a complaint-(rly not too often) we barely say anything and if we do it’s very very carefully.

Think this sums it up. No we’re not perfect with all this but we def try and they see that and appreciate that.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 8:30 pm
My parents always had bsmnt tenants while I was growing up and I just moved out of a rental basement as well.

Your issue sounds like the tenants themselves.

but, be aware of the noise and try to keep noise level down at specific times-after 10pm and before 8am. and on shabbos afternoon. Other than that, while they may complain, they also have to understand that they chose to live in a basment so there will be noise and banging.

Be normal with the noise-don't let your kids jumprope on their heads, roller blades in the house etc. those noises are crazy annoying!!

be nice, friendly, and even when things are beyond your control-try to apologize so they know that you are aware...like erev pesach at 1am the vacuum was going non stop and we couldnt' sleep. I didn't blame them. but I was annoyed it kept me up. landlord apologized with whatever excuse she had the next morning (on her own-I didnt say anything) and it made be feel better that at least she acknowledged...

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 8:40 pm
Just FYI the soundproofing in Lakewood’s newer homes are terrible...just taking out the garbage from the can or moving your chair can sound like thunder.. I stopped renting out my basement and I see when I am downstairs basic living upstairs can sound Really loud.. what I noticed is that some people are just happy with anything and some look to complain. It’s definitely not your fault. Next time look for an easygoing couple.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 8:55 pm
my landlord made me supper when I had a baby. I was so touched (we did x really have a shmoozy relationship- was mainly between my dh and her dh)
they kept the noise down, and the rent slightly lower than others. we were so grateful, we were sooo careful not to overuse utilities in return. but we are also easygoing and never complained.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 9:23 pm
Not in Lakewood but I have a basment apartment and I am on my theirs happy tenant. In general I happen to only take chosson/kallah. I also don't want to be to friendly with them, we have good relationship though. We take care of all repairs right away....and in general dont have that many. We have it double soundproofed so hopefully they don't hear us too much as I have three kids. I don't specifically tell them to be quiet as nobody and even even once complained of the noise. In general we both keep to ourselves...we have had little issues over the years and took care of them....again nothing to major. We did have one tenant who for other reasons we had to be the one to let go but we still are on good terms.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 11:33 pm
Not in Lakewood but-

Clear about repairs ect. in contract and take care of very quick - when everyone is on the same page it really helps

SOUNDPROOF. Seriously important and especially in Lakewood where the building is of really low quality (at least according to my family there)

The other thing we did is have our playroom upstairs and have the offical playroom as a study/office, and the official study office as a bedroom instead of the room we put the playroom. This way the kids can make a racket w/o driving tennents nuts
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries