Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler lays in bed for hours before falling asleep
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 11:37 pm
He’s 2.
I put him in His crib and he won’t necessarily fall asleep right away.
Sometimes he’ll talk or call out to me to come get him (sometimes he’ll cry for a few minutes but eventually stops if I don’t come)

Is it ok for him to be up for hours himself, if he’s content?

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 11:38 pm
What on earth could the problem be with that??

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 11:53 pm
Maybe he is not tired enough?

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 12:01 am
Is it 6 hours since he woke up from his nap? Does he have enough wake time to be tired?

I don’t know if this is a good or bad idea- putting a CD player in his room and he listens? Might make things worked though

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 12:18 am
If he is still napping during the day, drop his nap. He shouldn't have to lay in his crib awake for hours. He might be a little cranky towards the end of the day with no nap, but you can move his bedtime up a bit (what time do you put him to bed?) and then he should hopefully fall asleep within minutes.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 12:44 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
If he is still napping during the day, drop his nap. He shouldn't have to lay in his crib awake for hours. He might be a little cranky towards the end of the day with no nap, but you can move his bedtime up a bit (what time do you put him to bed?) and then he should hopefully fall asleep within minutes.

I agree
He should not be awake until n crib for that long
1hour tops

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 5:49 am
Had it with my oldest, it was insane, she lay in bad for hours (stopped daytime naps at 18 months) and was tired in the morning. Eventually at age 4 she was put on some natural sleep aid-cyto night and will still use it sometime. She thinks a lot and that keeps hef awake at night.

Success10

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 6:06 am
Is he still napping? It's probably time to drop a nap. Or drop the nap if he's only napping once. The transition takes time. If that still yields no results, I'd consider melatonin.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 8:33 am
My son was like this. He gave up his nap at like 18 months old but would always lie awake for hours at night. When he was old enough to communicate he'd tell us he was trying to fall asleep but couldn't. We didn't start giving him melatonin hntil he was 7 or 8. Wish we had started earlier. He's a different person when he gets enough sleep. He had sensory issues, attention issues, tantrums. You name it. Still crops up when he doesn't sleep enough. Presents as an adhd trype disorder. But really. Sleep deprivation Banging head

ETA: he's 12 now

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 9:04 am
I wouldn’t leave my toddler lying awake for so long.
Do you check on him/her? Does he have a drink ? Every child should have access to water in their crib. ( sippy cup etc)
Do you check his diaper to see if it’s wet?
If he cries definitely go in - that means he isn’t content.
If it still persists speak to your pediatrician.
Good luck

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 12:40 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Is it 6 hours since he woke up from his nap? Does he have enough wake time to be tired?

I don’t know if this is a good or bad idea- putting a CD player in his room and he listens? Might make things worked though

No more like 3-4.
He goes to nap around 12. It’s 1240 and I hear him breathing and Moving around so he’s still awake.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 12:42 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:

He likes his nap.
He knows he goes there immediately after lunch. (He tells me)

He’s usually cranky in time for his nap. Even if he doesn’t fall sleep Right away, “resting” in his crib it calms him somehow.

He goes to sleep around 7 but it’s not a hard and fast rule.
Sometimes it’s 730.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 12:45 pm
Success10 wrote:
Is he still napping? It's probably time to drop a nap. Or drop the nap if he's only napping once. The transition takes time. If that still yields no results, I'd consider melatonin.

He’s definitely napping.

Why would I give melatonin, he does goes to sleep

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 12:47 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I wouldn’t leave my toddler lying awake for so long.
Do you check on him/her? Does he have a drink ? Every child should have access to water in their crib. ( sippy cup etc)
Do you check his diaper to see if it’s wet?
If he cries definitely go in - that means he isn’t content.
If it still persists speak to your pediatrician.
Good luck

He has water. He’ll me if he needs a diaper change.

If I go in, he gets worked up that I should take Him out & start really crying and screaming, which makes me 😢

He tries to say things he knows will crack me up and I’ll come.

But if I leave him. Talking & calling, he’ll go to sleep.
(He has books toys and water)

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 12:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He’s definitely napping.

Why would I give melatonin, he does goes to sleep

For the night-
Isn’t that when he’s laying awake for hours?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 12:48 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
My son was like this. He gave up his nap at like 18 months old but would always lie awake for hours at night. When he was old enough to communicate he'd tell us he was trying to fall asleep but couldn't. We didn't start giving him melatonin hntil he was 7 or 8. Wish we had started earlier. He's a different person when he gets enough sleep. He had sensory issues, attention issues, tantrums. You name it. Still crops up when he doesn't sleep enough. Presents as an adhd trype disorder. But really. Sleep deprivation Banging head

ETA: he's 12 now

But he does fall sleep (eventually)
He still naps every day.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 12:51 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
For the night-
Isn’t that when he’s laying awake for hours?

Sometimes both. Usually it’s only at night, though.
For example today he has no interest in taking a nap now. (It May be because neighbors are making a ruckus)

At night - he’s usually sleeping by 830.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:23 pm
He finally fell asleep for his nap.
After yapping and singing and calling to me Smile
I went in to check in him 1/2 hour ago.
I wouldn’t let him sleep past 330.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:39 pm
If he calls you that his diaper is wet and you don’t go in how does that help? I f he is taking a longer then 2 hour nap at 1230 he won’t be tired by 7:30 . When my 2 year old takes that type of nap he can’t got to sleep until 9.
Maybe try to do do a great bedtime routine ( bath, 2 minute massage with lotion, book, Shema, songs, talking about his day) when you are doing the bedtime routine dim the lights in your house so he is cued that bedtime is coming.
Make sure his pajamas are comfortable and the temperature in his room is comfortable.
When he calls you I would check on him as you never know a slight fix to what he needs can be the answer ( a quick hug, diaper change etc) to help him settle. Good luck!

tothepoint

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He finally fell asleep for his nap.
After yapping and singing and calling to me Smile
I went in to check in him 1/2 hour ago.
I wouldn’t let him sleep past 330.

If he wakes up from his nap at 330 of course he will not be tired at 730.

How about bumping up his nap to 12:30 to get him to be more tired so he’ll hopefully fall asleep right away, then wake him up at 2.

Some kids are ready to drop their nap at this age, but it seems like he’s not ready yet so I would shorten it then.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics