Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Low iron in preteen girl

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 6:39 am
Anyone have any experience with this? We’ve been dealing with this for months and can’t get the iron levels high. What else have you done? What concerns should I have? DD is always complaining of being so tired...

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 7:16 am
This happened to my dd was around age 12. Floradix liquid 2x a day at meals, no Rx needed and non binding. It helped get dd's iron in normal range. It's still low, but not concerning. It took about 6 mos. She takes it 1x day intermittently now.

We did take a number of tests to make sure it wasnt internal bleeding.

nchr

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 7:30 am
My friend had this and it turned out to be Gaucher's. Does she have heavy menstrual cycles? Does she eat iron rich foods?

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 7:32 am
I had this.
I took SlowFe (iron) pills every morning and mom increased the iron rich foods in my diet. Took about 6 months to regulate but kept taking slowfe about twice a week till I was 3 years after starting puberty, then once a week for another year or so.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 9:57 am
You need thecofactors of iron like copper, magnesium and zinc...

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 10:23 am
I had low iron and felt like a bus hit me especially when I first woke up in the am
I dragged my feet all day
I took the liquid Floradix
Didn’t help
Then a dr/friend recommended parvlex by Freda
B”H
Made a huge difference
https://freedahealth.com/produ.....54378

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 10:49 am
Mega Foods Blood Builders

It has Vitamin C, Folate, and Vitamin B12 to help with obsorbtion

If it’s eeally low I’d start with 2/day for a few weeks. Retest and then go to 1/day if numbers improve.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 11:11 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Mega Foods Blood Builders

It has Vitamin C, Folate, and Vitamin B12 to help with obsorbtion

If it’s eeally low I’d start with 2/day for a few weeks. Retest and then go to 1/day if numbers improve.

Yes, this is what my daughter is taking.
I think it’s the strongest on the market..
At first she was taking 2 a day a few months ago when her iron was down to 5 (!!). Then once a day.. and then she was only taking it 1-2 times a week. Her iron is up to 8 which is still too low for a girl her age. The doctor wants it to be at least 20%. I guess we’re back to 2x a day but I am wondering why she has this issue.. eats more or less like everyone else in my family and no one ever had low iron. She often suffers from stomach cramps/diarrhea which probably has something to do with it. I need a good doctor! I don’t feel like my dr is taking this seriously.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 11:18 am
Please get a referral to a GI. Anemia and digestive problems are a huge red flag for celiac and chrons disease.

I am chronically low iron and its no joke. I see a hematologist and found the most success with iron infusions. The different supplements just dont work for me.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 11:23 am
I would keep taking 2 a day. For sure at least 1. Don’t start bi-weekly. I think taking daily really helps. If you skip it won’t have as strong an affect.

If it’s at 5 you may want to look at this further. When I went below 7 we did iron infusions.

(My daughter has low iron due to crohns and her GI isn’t to concerned but mine is unexplained. I think it runs in the family. My father’s sister has always had numbers below 11. I always figured I got it from her).

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 11:36 am
mha3484 wrote:
Please get a referral to a GI. Anemia and digestive problems are a huge red flag for celiac and chrons disease.

I am chronically low iron and its no joke. I see a hematologist and found the most success with iron infusions. The different supplements just dont work for me.

She tested negative for celiac through blood work a few months ago but we have never tested her for crohn’s.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 7:24 am
Just wondering what was with your daughter.. I had an exact same story and was diagnosed with Crohns. Had an Iron infusion and was put on azathioprine. Had not had a problem for 6 years bh. Now trying to concieve and iron level went really low. Awaiting an infusion...

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 9:33 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Just wondering what was with your daughter.. I had an exact same story and was diagnosed with Crohns. Had an Iron infusion and was put on azathioprine. Had not had a problem for 6 years bh. Now trying to concieve and iron level went really low. Awaiting an infusion...

Don't do an infusion! You need to work on the cofactors like zinc, copper and magnesium

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:01 pm
Burlywood! Any advice how to do that?

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:27 pm
The root cause protocol by Morley Robbins.

Btw, how was the low iron diagnosed? Ferritin? Hemoglobin? Or what?

The problem with supplementing non food sources of iron is that if levels aren’t rising that means it’s all getting stored in the liver and is extremely toxic there. Also, unbound iron is a huge source of inflammation.

In developed countries where a lot of foods are enriched with iron there really isn’t such a thing as iron deficiency. If someone is showing symptoms of that you need to ask yourself why. Where is all that iron going? Why isn’t it going where it’s supposed to?

If there a true deficiency for whatever reason, only supplement with food sources like beef liver. Cod liver oil.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics