Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Paying off your mortgage
Previous  1  2

lavenderchimes

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:10 pm
It depends on your finances. If you can get a 30-year mortgage at 3.4%, and the lower monthly payments allow you to set aside money that you can invest at 8%, the 30-year mortgage makes more sense. If the higher monthly payment on a shorter term mortgage will leave you with no buffer money, the lower monthly payment on a 30-year is a better, safer option - you can always pay it off faster if finances improve, or refinance. If you have plenty of money to pay the higher payments on a shorter term mortgage and you are terrible at saving money anyway so you won't invest the extra, better to take the shorter term mortgage.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:18 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I started off with a 30 year mortgage and about 3 years later, rates had dropped and I refinanced to a 15 year. I paid it off a little over a year ago.

How many years in?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 3:16 pm
we have 30 year and will probably refinance to do renovations. we technically have the money to pay cash but would rather not. interest rates are good and we can earn a lot more in the stock market.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics