Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Old earrings: sell or save?

Reality

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 10:04 am
I have two pairs of diamond chip earrings that need to be repaired. I haven't worn them in 10+ years.

Is it worth it to sell? Or I won't get much money for it anyway? I do have two teenage daughters I could save them for if they liked them.

What's the smart thing to do?

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 10:20 am
You can always see what you would get and then decide.
Typically, I think but don't factually know, you get pennies on the dollar. I don't sell my stuff but I have friends who gladly do.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 10:49 am
BH I’m not in a situation where I need to sell old jewelery. I’m a saver so I’d just offer to my daughter if I don’t wear them

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:21 am
Reality wrote:
I have two pairs of diamond chip earrings that need to be repaired. I haven't worn them in 10+ years.

Is it worth it to sell? Or I won't get much money for it anyway? I do have two teenage daughters I could save them for if they liked them.

What's the smart thing to do?

I can't imagine that you would get very much money for diamond chip earrings. Maybe the value of the gold. But you can try, and then decide.

simcha2

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:25 am
If it was me, I'd probably decide the money I'd get for them isn't worth it, and the cost of repair is too much, so they would just sit, useless, in my jewelry box.

(Don't be like me! - either choice is better than doing nothing! ).

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:35 am
What is the cost of repairing them?

What is the value of the earrings if they were repaired.

Diamond chips have little value and the gold in most earrings is very small so I can't imagine the earrings would yield much money if sold.

If it were me, I would hold them and then ask my teenage girls whether they would like them. If they didn't want them, I would put them back in my stash and let whoever goes over my things when I am gone, determine what to do with it. I have a small box of this kind of stuff - jewelry I inherited from my grandmother and my mother which I never wear. It's mostly Victorian and Edwardian vintage stuff which is not my taste. So far no one I have offered it to has been wild about it either but tastes change so who knows. At any rate, I won't be around to worry about whatever decision they make except that I have put notes on them so they realize that these are not costume jewelry but are gold Very Happy

Reality

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 4:03 pm
Thanks everyone! I will bring it into the jewelry store and see how much it costs to repair.

I'm usually the sentimental type. So I'll save them for my daughters.

I was just wondering about selling because I bought these earrings before the price of gold went up so high. They cost between $300-$500 then. To buy earrings like that now would cost a lot more now so I thought maybe I could get a significant amount of money.

Oh well.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 4:24 pm
Jewelry has a very high mark up, and low resale value.
I don't think a jeweler would pay much for chips, rather than stones.
You might be able to post and sell on a place like ebay. Look for similar products to get an idea of prices. (Based on your description, I would think somewhere along the range of $75- $100.)
However, you will have to go lower if the item is in need of repair.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics