Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Getting Toddler to Cooperate With Sensory Diet
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 12:47 pm
It's all well and good to have a sensory diet planned out - how do you get your toddler to cooperate? Each exercise is meant to be done for approximately 5 to 10 minutes; I can't get my child to do it for more than 10 seconds.
Please, can anyone tell me how they managed to get their kids to cooperate?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:21 pm
No one does a sensory diet with a toddler that can offer some tips? I'm desperate!

naomi2

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 6:59 pm
If the diet is appropriate for their needs, they usually crave the input.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 7:17 pm
Watch the magic pill. The right foods can totally help with this.

Stars

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 7:20 pm
You have to find the right exercises for the kid. If you have the ones they need they will feel better by doing it so they will cooperate and even come begging for you to do it again.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 8:13 pm
I am an OT who creates sensory diets for young kids. I don't know what your child's sensory issues are and what was recommended to do but I agree with the above poster who said that usually the child will really enjoy the input.

Do you feel comfortable sharing more info?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 8:41 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I am an OT who creates sensory diets for young kids. I don't know what your child's sensory issues are and what was recommended to do but I agree with the above poster who said that usually the child will really enjoy the input.

Do you feel comfortable sharing more info?

Thanks so much for being willing to help. She is a typically developing toddler who seems to be "stimming" mostly with hand and shoulder movements, and it was generally agreed on by a few different medical professionals that it is likely a sensory issue. An OT created a diet for me but she is really resistant to doing most of it. I was given various exercises, nothing too strenuous, but I have to beg, plead and cajole for her to do any of it.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 8:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks so much for being willing to help. She is a typically developing toddler who seems to be "stimming" mostly with hand and shoulder movements, and it was generally agreed on by a few different medical professionals that it is likely a sensory issue. An OT created a diet for me but she is really resistant to doing most of it. I was given various exercises, nothing too strenuous, but I have to beg, plead and cajole for her to do any of it.

Like plank positions? Arm circles? Wall pushups? Totally guessing here.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 9:23 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Like plank positions? Arm circles? Wall pushups? Totally guessing here.

Yes, some of that, and brushing, yoga - all stuff that should be fun, but it's really tough going - I can't help wondering if we're going about this the right way.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 9:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, some of that, and brushing, yoga - all stuff that should be fun, but it's really tough going - I can't help wondering if we're going about this the right way.

Also, wondering how old your child is. 2 year olds will have a hard time attending to these kinds of activities. 3 year olds and 4 yr olds will usually have an easier time. Is there any one specific thing recommended that she likes? I would start with that one thing. It is hard for me to recommend specific activities with limited info and not having met/worked with you guys.

One idea of a way to get through more than 1 activity for 5 seconds is use a list. Draw a little picture on a paper for each item (I would say no more than 3 to start) and after you finish your child can cross off that one. Kids usually love crossing off. Another thing that might help is you doing the activity along with your child. Do the yoga pose together and count to 10 for example (slowly... lol). One other idea is using a timer- say "when the timer beeps you can choose what you want to do but now is sensory time"

I hope these ideas are helpful!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 9:47 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Also, wondering how old your child is. 2 year olds will have a hard time attending to these kinds of activities. 3 year olds and 4 yr olds will usually have an easier time. Is there any one specific thing recommended that she likes? I would start with that one thing. It is hard for me to recommend specific activities with limited info and not having met/worked with you guys.

One idea of a way to get through more than 1 activity for 5 seconds is use a list. Draw a little picture on a paper for each item (I would say no more than 3 to start) and after you finish your child can cross off that one. Kids usually love crossing off. Another thing that might help is you doing the activity along with your child. Do the yoga pose together and count to 10 for example (slowly... lol). One other idea is using a timer- say "when the timer beeps you can choose what you want to do but now is sensory time"

I hope these ideas are helpful!

Thanks so much - I have been doing it with her, and it does help. (Also realized I am really out of shape Smile ) I did try a timer and it helped a little bit. I will try the pictures idea. She is little - maybe it's just too much to start with. I will tone it down a bit and see if that helps. Thanks!!

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 10:08 pm
Hi, I am a speech therapist, not an OT. However I am wondering whether 5-10 minutes per activity is age appropriate. I think you should try choosing 1 activity per day, make it fun with imaginary play, pair it with fun gross motor play like swinging your child in the air, and don't stress about it, as it doesn't sound like a major problem at this age.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 10:16 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Hi, I am a speech therapist, not an OT. However I am wondering whether 5-10 minutes per activity is age appropriate. I think you should try choosing 1 activity per day, make it fun with imaginary play, pair it with fun gross motor play like swinging your child in the air, and don't stress about it, as it doesn't sound like a major problem at this age.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I think you're right, 5-10 minutes does seem completely out of the realm of possibility right now. I will try not to stress!

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 10:18 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Watch the magic pill. The right foods can totally help with this.
was going to say this. In fact, when I read the title my first reaction was like, finally people are starting to recognize that diet affects sensory processing... lol. OP my child’s sensory issues improved drastically when I took them off gluten, dairy and corn

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 10:22 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
was going to say this. In fact, when I read the title my first reaction was like, finally people are starting to recognize that diet affects sensory processing... lol. OP my child’s sensory issues improved drastically when I took them off gluten, dairy and corn

How did you know what to try? It would be a MAJOR challenge to take her off those things.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 10:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How did you know what to try? It would be a MAJOR challenge to take her off those things.
those and soy are the most common culprits. If child seems addicted to those foods, that is a pretty good indication that they are messing with his/her neurology Sad

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 10:39 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
those and soy are the most common culprits. If child seems addicted to those foods, that is a pretty good indication that they are messing with his/her neurology Sad

What would you feed a child for whom cheese, bread, pasta and pizza are the major food groups? I can't even imagine.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 10:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What would you feed a child for whom cheese, bread, pasta and pizza are the major food groups? I can't even imagine.
so hard Sad

We switched to daiya instead of cheese, gf bread, rice pasta. Kiddo was not a happy camper the first few days and there was definitely some withdrawal, but much happier now.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 10:55 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
so hard Sad

We switched to daiya instead of cheese, gf bread, rice pasta. Kiddo was not a happy camper the first few days and there was definitely some withdrawal, but much happier now.

Wow. Definitely something to consider. (Was gonna say food for thought, but cringe.)
Thanks, I think I have to at least try.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow. Definitely something to consider. (Was gonna say food for thought, but cringe.)
Thanks, I think I have to at least try.
you have to go cold turkey otherwise kid will keep craving the real stuff and not want to try the alternatives
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)