Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Masks and school
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 10:59 pm
I am in NJ, and our governor has already announced some mandatory changes for the upcoming school year. The idea of students wearing masks is obviously not a new one. There are provisions for students with disabilities and for the very young. But what about tweens who just can't handle being in a mask all day? Mine is refusing to go back to school that way. Even if you tell me she will get uses to it, how to get started? So far, she hasn't gone for more than fifteen minutes.

She is so excited to go back to school, but has said that this will kill it for her, and she won't be able to learn that way anyway because she will just be paying attention to her mask. And even if she stops, the second she starts talking she notices, so she won't be talking in school at all. She is so sad about school now.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:03 pm
It is not realistic to expect anyone to sit in a mask all day. Especially those that are claustrophobic, you can't breath.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:12 pm
I wonder if they can let the kids wear shields instead. I read it's just as effective.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:14 pm
So you think they just won't do it? I thought the kids in Israel were wearing masks? According to the rules, the kids don't need masks as long as they are distanced. But it's not possible to distance a whole class from each other and still have a functioning class.

Re face shields- I heard they block a lot of the sound of talking. Is that true?

thanks

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:18 pm
I don't understand how a teacher can conduct a class with mask.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:23 pm
I think it's more bubble or capsule style. So masks must be worn in common areas. Hallways, bathrooms, buses, etc. But not in the classroom with your classroom community.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:56 pm
avrahamama wrote:
I think it's more bubble or capsule style. So masks must be worn in common areas. Hallways, bathrooms, buses, etc. But not in the classroom with your classroom community.

What's the logic here? Am I more likely to catch something from the girl who sits near me all day or some random kid I pass in the hall?

Personally I think this whole mask thing is dreadful and I will not be sending my children to school if masks are required. It is extremely unhealthful.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:59 pm
In Lakewood, there was school the last week or two, and no one wore masks.

Mothers

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 12:03 am
Public schools in New York City will be requiring masks, as well. It definitely sounds uncomfortable, but they are afraid of putting staff (and students) at risk, so what else can they do? As has been widely noted - they can’t stay closed forever. . .

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 12:38 am
Mothers wrote:
Public schools in New York City will be requiring masks, as well. It definitely sounds uncomfortable, but they are afraid of putting staff (and students) at risk, so what else can they do? As has been widely noted - they can’t stay closed forever. . .

Why aren't they afraid of oxygen deprivation?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 1:34 am
It wont last. Children will not stay with mask on all day, every day.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 1:44 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:

Because if you wear it correctly there's no oxygen deprivation despite what people falsely claim. There are people who wear masks for extended time for various reasons and if it's worn correctly it's fine.

Having said that I don't think students in elementary or high school can learn a whole day in masks. I don't know how the Israeli children are doing that.

Mothers

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 1:46 am

Apparently wearing a mask does not cause oxygen deprivation.

https://vosizneias.com/2020/07.....isks/

https://www.health.com/conditi.....evels

https://www.foxnews.com/health.....risks

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 8:09 am
I don't believe it. I don't trust the "experts". I barely survive the 10 minutes of mask wearing when I run into the store for groceries. I've tried cloth masks of various materials, the disposable type and n95 masks. None make me feel like I am getting all the air I need. There are also plenty of studies to show that mask wearing is very harmful - and not just because of oxygen levels. But those studies will be hard to find now with all the censorship going on.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 8:14 am
What's the logic here? Am I more likely to catch something from the girl who sits near me all day or some random kid I pass in the hall?

Personally I think this whole mask thing is dreadful and I will not be sending my children to school if masks are required. It is extremely unhealthful.

The idea is if there is an outbreak it gets contained to one class instead of spreading to the whole school.

You are free to keep your kids home, that’s your choice.

It is not “extremely unhealthful”

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 8:16 am
I don't believe it. I don't trust the "experts". I barely survive the 10 minutes of mask wearing when I run into the store for groceries. I've tried cloth masks of various materials, the disposable type and n95 masks. None make me feel like I am getting all the air I need. There are also plenty of studies to show that mask wearing is very harmful - and not just because of oxygen levels. But those studies will be hard to find now with all the censorship going on.

Not feeling like you are getting all the air you need does not equate to oxygen deprivation

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 8:18 am
There are also plenty of studies to show that mask wearing is very harmful - and not just because of oxygen levels. But those studies will be hard to find now with all the censorship going on.

You seem to have found them. By all means, please post them here.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 8:22 am
I don't trust the experts either. The CDC is busy changing recommendations to suit them. Not as new scientific data comes through. Have you ever noticed how well air conditioned hospitals are? When doctors are wearing masks, they are in a cool, controlled environment. And while they are on their feet a lot, they are certainly not moving around like kids. And just because an adult is okay doesn't make it OK for kids. Just wait to the lawsuits come rolling in when something happens to a kid and the parent blames the mask.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 8:25 am
avrahamma I agree but have read in some local schools in US they are saying masks 24/7...

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 8:25 am

Yet Rav Kanievsky paskened a mask is needed and based it off of a pandemic in the olden days where people wore face coverings.

It's possible if you are pregnant, have asthma, other breathing issues or conditions, or anxiety, or claustrophobia it may be more difficult to wear a mask and you should check with your doctor and avoid going out.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics