Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler lays in bed for hours before falling asleep
Previous  1  2

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 2:20 pm
If you feel that he still really needs his nap, then let him nap for an hour or so and then wake him. Of course if he's sleeping until 330, he won't be tired when it's bedtime! That is way too late to have him still napping.

I stopped both my kids naps at age 2 (even though they would've napped if I would have let them) because of the same problem- then they were up for hours at night. Yes, it's hard to transition to no naps and your kid will be a little cranky, but to me it's so much more important to get a solid good night's sleep than to have a daytime nap.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 2:30 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
If he calls you that his diaper is wet and you don’t go in how does that help? I f he is taking a longer then 2 hour nap at 1230 he won’t be tired by 7:30 . When my 2 year old takes that type of nap he can’t got to sleep until 9.
Maybe try to do do a great bedtime routine ( bath, 2 minute massage with lotion, book, Shema, songs, talking about his day) when you are doing the bedtime routine dim the lights in your house so he is cued that bedtime is coming.
Make sure his pajamas are comfortable and the temperature in his room is comfortable.
When he calls you I would check on him as you never know a slight fix to what he needs can be the answer ( a quick hug, diaper change etc) to help him settle. Good luck!

Of course I’ll change his diaper if he tells me it’s wet! Where did I say otherwise?

In my response to the below:

Quote:
Do you check his diaper to see if it’s wet?

I responded that he tells me if he needs a diaper change, meaning I don’t need to go in to check if that what’s wrong, because he would tell me if it’s that.
He goes to nap around 12-12:30 but doesn’t fall asleep right away.
(I would like him to nap from 12-2:30)

He has a great bedtime routine since he was born, BH.
Again, he knows it’s time for to sleep, he tells me.

He just wants to play Smile (I give in when he’s too funny to not go to and all my errands are done for the evening 😂)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 2:32 pm
tothepoint wrote:
If he wakes up from his nap at 330 of course he will not be tired at 730.

How about bumping up his nap to 12:30 to get him to be more tired so he’ll hopefully fall asleep right away, then wake him up at 2.

Some kids are ready to drop their nap at this age, but it seems like he’s not ready yet so I would shorten it then.

I put him to sleep between 12 and 12:30, he just doesn’t fall asleep right away.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 2:33 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
If you feel that he still really needs his nap, then let him nap for an hour or so and then wake him. Of course if he's sleeping until 330, he won't be tired when it's bedtime! That is way too late to have him still napping.

I stopped both my kids naps at age 2 (even though they would've napped if I would have let them) because of the same problem- then they were up for hours at night. Yes, it's hard to transition to no naps and your kid will be a little cranky, but to me it's so much more important to get a solid good night's sleep than to have a daytime nap.

He gets a solid full nights sleep (around 11-12 hours)

Blessing1

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 2:37 pm
Maybe the toys and books in his crib are keeping him awake.
I can't can't see how it's possible for a 2 year old to be tired for bedtime when he woke up from a nap 4 hours ago. He needs to he up at least 6 hours. If he still needs his nap, try to get him to nap earlier ans for shorter. If it also takes long for him to fall asleep for his nap, it's time to stop the nap.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 2:44 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Maybe the toys and books in his crib are keeping him awake.
I can't can't see how it's possible for a 2 year old to be tired for bedtime when he woke up from a nap 4 hours ago. He needs to he up at least 6 hours. If he still needs his nap, try to get him to nap earlier ans for shorter. If it also takes long for him to fall asleep for his nap, it's time to stop the nap.

He doesn’t always have the toys/books. It’s either/or.
He’s relaxes in his crib. It’s his “downtime”. I feel like it calms him down. (He’s a wonderful handful the rest of the day 😀)
He really needs the nap.
I’m sure eventually he won’t, but I take the cue from him.
He was sleeping 2 2 hour naps when Covid started, morning and afternoon and we switched to 1 3 hour nap, then it shortened to 2 hours and that’s where we are at.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 2:45 pm
Magnesium can help

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 3:03 pm
From my experience with my 4 kids, this is around the age when some of them gave up naps and just went to sleep for the night a little earlier.
If they still napped it was later in the day, around 1:30/2 and then bedtime was much later... close to 9.

It sounds like you have to adjust his nap time and bedtime.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 3:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He gets a solid full nights sleep (around 11-12 hours)

So then if you want to keep his daytime nap, then you need to adjust his bedtime to a later time so he's not in his crib for hours.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 4:49 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
So then if you want to keep his daytime nap, then you need to adjust his bedtime to a later time so he's not in his crib for hours.

But he tells me it’s time to go to his crib to sleep

Rachel Shira

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 4:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
But he tells me it’s time to go to his crib to sleep

You don’t need to listen to him. He’s obviously not ready to sleep then. Figure out a schedule that only includes about half an hour of being awake in the crib before falling asleep, and follow it. Probably a 10.5-11 hour night and an hour-hour a half nap.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 5:10 pm
Poor baby!!

I have my kids on a 8 am wakeup- 8 bedtime.
Especially now with corona.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 7:52 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Poor baby!!

I have my kids on a 8 am wakeup- 8 bedtime.
Especially now with corona.

What’s with the “poor baby”?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 7:56 pm
Rachel Shira wrote:
You don’t need to listen to him. He’s obviously not ready to sleep then. Figure out a schedule that only includes about half an hour of being awake in the crib before falling asleep, and follow it. Probably a 10.5-11 hour night and an hour-hour a half nap.

He’s cranky. He’s ready to wind down. He sleeps well foBH for 11.5 -12 hours a night and with a 2 hour nap.

Why would I cut out 2 1/2 hours of his sleep time?

Most nights it IS around 1/2 until he falls asleep.
Sometimes it’s 15 and sometimes it’s way more, like I said.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 8:04 pm
So today I “kind of” woke him up at 3 (he doesn’t like being woken up, so I’ll talk out loud to wake him 😂).
I put him to bed closer to 8.

Is a half hour awake ok? What’s the general consensus? Especially if he is happy and content in the crib (most of the time)

Rachel Shira

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 9:59 pm
Yes a half hour is fine. I think your main issue is that he needs longer wake time between nap and bed. Sleep pressure isn’t high enough. Ideally there would be 6 hours before bedtime.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:21 pm
1/2 hour is fine
You made it sound like it was way longer- like a few hours - that would not be okay

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:47 pm
From what I’ve read, this is a toddler schedule:
Morning wake time
5 or 6 hours till nap time
Nap
6 hours till bedtime

Don’t drop the nap!!! Just maybe make some schedule changes
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics